First long run

Had to travel from Kent to Halifax Thursday so a great opportunity to give the Superb 190 DSG a good run as it had less than 150 on it at the start. Lots of stop start driving until I got through the Dartford tunnel, then by some miracle the M25 was flowing freely. So on went ACC, set at 75 and it didn't come off until I came off the M62 in Yorkshire. What a relaxed drive, due to the ACC and the comfort amd quiet cabin of the Superb. MPG for the journey 58mpg. Which I was very happy with given how new the engine is. Coming from a Mercedes E350, the Superb is by far a superior place to be for a long journey.

• Like 3

Coming from a Mercedes E350, the Superb is by far a superior place to be for a long journey.

Interesting. I've gone the other way, albeit from an SII to an E220 but I think the Merc is the nicer place to be. I've test driven the SIII and while it was nice (it was a brand new after all) it wasn't leaps and bounds above the SII. Edited by Jaytip

Had to travel from Kent to Halifax Thursday so a great opportunity to give the Superb 190 DSG a good run as it had less than 150 on it at the start. Lots of stop start driving until I got through the Dartford tunnel, then by some miracle the M25 was flowing freely. So on went ACC, set at 75 and it didn't come off until I came off the M62 in Yorkshire. What a relaxed drive, due to the ACC and the comfort amd quiet cabin of the Superb. MPG for the journey 58mpg. Which I was very happy with given how new the engine is. Coming from a Mercedes E350, the Superb is by far a superior place to be for a long journey.

i do this route often... but the outbound for me is fax down to Medway.

Did you do the M1 or A1 ?

Edited by RickTT

i do this route often... but the outbound for me is fax down to Medway.

Did you do the M1 or A1 ?

I tend to use the A1 adds a bit of time (possibly), but I find it a more interesting, less stressful drive. Downside are the two lanes and truck doing their 1mph differential overtakes!

Interesting. I've gone the other way, albeit from an SII to an E220 but I think the Merc is the nicer place to be. I've test driven the SIII and while it was nice (it was a brand new after all) it wasn't leaps and bounds above the SII.

I guess we are all different, but our E class was the Avantgarde, so in theory a softer ride, but after an hour we would both have numb bumbs, and 1.5/2 hours in my wife would suffer from a deaf leg! We felt every bump as if the suspension had been lowered, almost. This trip in addition to the drive to Halifax, we ended up in Stoke for the night (we know how to live LOL). Around 7 hours in the car and no issues whatsoever, apart from all the dead bugs on the windscreen ☺

I tend to use the A1 adds a bit of time (possibly), but I find it a more interesting, less stressful drive. Downside are the two lanes and truck doing their 1mph differential overtakes!

Same here.. A1 is now my perfered route with all the spcs on the m1.

• Like 1

I guess we are all different, but our E class was the Avantgarde, so in theory a softer ride, but after an hour we would both have numb bumbs, and 1.5/2 hours in my wife would suffer from a deaf leg!

I had exactly the same problem in my old E350!

After an eight hour drive to Stuttgart I could hardly walk!

S3 is no problem, much more comfortable seats and a much softer ride.

I did have a previous E320 with Air Suspension and that was really nice, but try finding a s/h E class with that option!

Edited by philsmith
  • Like 1

Just done first longish run, 170 miles from Birmingham to south coast. Was great, 52mpg avg @80mph. Only annoyance was that I kept flashing people with main beams when I was trying to toggle ACC!

• Like 1

Now I don't have my car yet so I hope that I can be forgiven for a misunderstanding :-)

Why do you need to toggle the ACC/ I thought the idea was that it did that for you?

"Confused of Stansted"

If you have to press the brake manually for any reason you have to toggle 'resume' on the lever to turn it on again- it remains on when you change gear though, which solves my annoyances with previous cruise controls I have used. This is for manual, assume it's the same with dsg

The ACC lever is dirctly below the lights lever btw

Edited by JimK8

If you have to press the brake manually for any reason you have to toggle 'resume' on the lever to turn it on again- it remains on when you change gear though, which solves my annoyances with previous cruise controls I have used. This is for manual, assume it's the same with dsg

The ACC lever is dirctly below the lights lever btw

Im pretty sure on the DSG i just have to push the accelerator again to wake up the ACC, no need to touch the lever.

Im pretty sure on the DSG i just have to push the accelerator again to wake up the ACC, no need to touch the lever.

Only if the car self-brakes. If you manually apply the brakes then the ACC is cancelled and the lever must be pulled back to resume its previous setting.

True, but a feather light application of the foot brake pedal will not disengage ACC as I discovered to my surprise when all I wanted to do was illuminate my brake lights briefly as a warning to a tailgater on the Belgian motorway (which, as it happens, had the desired effect).

• Like 2

True, but a feather light application of the foot brake pedal will not disengage ACC as I discovered to my surprise when all I wanted to do was illuminate my brake lights briefly as a warning to a tailgater on the Belgian motorway (which, as it happens, had the desired effect).

Why is it that the Belgians love to park themselves right on your tail, one of the the European Nightmare Roads is the Brussels Ring Road in the Rush Hour, its mental!