Wierd metallic noise from engine compartiment

ionutai

Hey guys,

I searched the forums, but couldn't identify something similar (maybe there is something but I didn't find it). If there is something admins please move my topic thanks.

So, the story is: I have a Yeti Experience 4x4 140bhp 2010 (made in 2009), European model (steering on the left, car driven on the right). It has about 100k miles on the clock. The water pump and distribution have been changed about 10k miles ago. Clutch kit has been changed about 15k miles ago. Oil has been changed and levels are normal.

Last weekend I took if for a drive (about 100miles trip). Outside temperature was about 20degrees Celsius. I noticed a wierd noise somewhere half way into my trip. I would describe it as a metallic sound coming from somewhere from the left side of the engine (drivers side). I turned off the airco but the noise is still there. The noise goes away when the car is cool, but it reappears when the car is hot.

I've uploaded a small video with this here (the video is not really expressing the intensity of the sound, the metallic nature is really much clearer in reality).

I will schedule a diagnostic with the repair shop. In the mean time do you have any ideas?

Thanks

Posted a while ago someone mentioned a known noise from a bulkhead metal pipe,

the thread may have been headed "rattle"

• Like 1

Posted a while ago someone mentioned a known noise from a bulkhead metal pipe,

the thread may have been headed "rattle"

Found the topic ... here ... in my opinion the sound comes from a lower source. If you check my video the noise is much louder under the car than on top of the engine.

I will investigate and come back on this one.

Edited by ionutai

I will investigate and come back on this one.

I looked and my engine compartment has different layout. The area there is occupied by the brake pump so no cable there. So, unfortunately that is not the cause. Any other ideas?

IMO for a start there is an oil leak, or is that water from the air con.  It sounds as if the exhaust has blown and causing a rattle, in fact the engine sounds very noisy, it would not harm if you could get it on a lift and have a look with the engine running.

Edited by CHILLEY

IMO for a start there is an oil leak. 

In the video the drops under the car are from the airco condenser ... there is no oil leak.

It sounds as if the exhaust has blown and causing a rattle, in fact the engine sounds very noisy, it would not harm if you could get it on a lift and have a look with the engine running.

Indeed the engine is noisy, much noisier than my other Yeti (identical but from 2012). Donno if it is from the exhaust ... my money is that the problem is somewhere between the clutch and the gearbox.

Only when hot sounds odd.

Was this supposed to be a question? If yes, I would say that the sound is there when the car is cool also, but it gets more and more audible as the car gets hotter.

Hi I have looked at the video and heard the noise, which sounds like the following

does the noise increase in speed when you rev the engine when it is hot ?

if it does it MAY be a sticking cam follower in the engine, cam followers are under the cam shaft and push down on the valve as the engine turns over when running, when the engine is cold the tolerance on the phisical size of the  follower is less than when it is hot-- ie it expands with the engine heat as it is in the cylinder head so it starts to 'stick'which causes the tapping sound as the cam shaft turns.

This is only a theory it ''may not be this'' but it certainly sounded like it in the video as the noise was less under the car shot of the dripping water than when you filmed the top of the engine

Have you checked the drive belt for the generator ? its not cut or frayed ? does the sound stop when you push the clutch pedal down ? or make no change?

Hi I have looked at the video and heard the noise, which sounds like the following

does the noise increase in speed when you rev the engine when it is hot ?

if it does it MAY be a sticking cam follower in the engine, cam followers are under the cam shaft and push down on the valve as the engine turns over when running, when the engine is cold the tolerance on the phisical size of the  follower is less than when it is hot-- ie it expands with the engine heat as it is in the cylinder head so it starts to 'stick'which causes the tapping sound as the cam shaft turns.

This is only a theory it ''may not be this'' but it certainly sounded like it in the video as the noise was less under the car shot of the dripping water than when you filmed the top of the engine

Have you checked the drive belt for the generator ? its not cut or frayed ? does the sound stop when you push the clutch pedal down ? or make no change?

The sound does increase in speed when pressing down on the pedal. The belt has been recently changed so I don't suspect that.

Pushing down on the clutch does make the sound change pitch (I have another noise on the clutch but that is for another topic).

Regarding your cam supposition ... i found this article here that kind of fits the description of my symptoms. I don't personally have the capabilities to do the stuff described in the guide so most likely the Skoda garage will be the ones doing the job. I don't know if they will be willing to change the cam follower or replace the entire fuel pump.

I have a sneaking suspicion. I have suffered mysterious after effects of works on vehicles and read of many more. You say you have had the drive belt changed and therefore dismiss it as a source of your mystery noise. Who did the work? Get them to look it over in case the pulley is loose or it's bearing is failing. Only then can you dismiss it as a cause. if the problem followed this work then reviewing it is the first not last step.

• Like 1

Hi Again, Urrell and JCP could be going in the right direction with this problem so it may just be a loose pulley, but you have said it goes away when the engine is cool which adds to the mystery, let us all know what the repair shop find lets hope it is a simple fix.

I have a sneaking suspicion. I have suffered mysterious after effects of works on vehicles and read of many more. You say you have had the drive belt changed and therefore dismiss it as a source of your mystery noise. Who did the work? Get them to look it over in case the pulley is loose or it's bearing is failing. Only then can you dismiss it as a cause. if the problem followed this work then reviewing it is the first not last step.

I know what you say, bad service is a plague that doesn't seem to disappear, I've been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

Hi Again, Urrell and JCP could be going in the right direction with this problem so it may just be a loose pulley, but you have said it goes away when the engine is cool which adds to the mystery, let us all know what the repair shop find lets hope it is a simple fix.

For this particular case, I am currently dismissing the belt because I can identify that I have pretty much all the symptoms presented in that article I linked before. Obviously if it's a lose pulley I would go for that instead of a possible fuel pump + camshaft change :).

I will let you know what the Skoda garage says.

It certainly wouldn't want to be a lose pulley as it'll irreparably damage the end of the crankshaft which, as I understand it, makes the whole engine uneconomic to repair.

In a new development, last evening I got an engine fault, MIL Light on, it turned out to be intermittent ... it went away this morning.

009571 - Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor Circuit 
               P2563 - 000 - Implausible Signal
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 01100000
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 2
                    Reset counter: 255
                    Mileage: 128165 km
                    Time Indication: 0
                    Date: 2016.05.09
                    Time: 21:48:10

Adds any value to identifying the culprit?

• 1 year later...

Yeti 2012, 2.0 CR TDI (CFHF) 90'K-KM on the clock. Sound is loud at warm engine. (Not notisable when cold) Sound is meatallic, and seems not to follew the engine RPM's.

I come back on this topic with the cause of my issue.

1. Metallic noise. The initial diagnostic was also clutch assembly (with a 2k estimated repair cost). But, considering the clutch was recently replaced that was ruled out. Upon further investigation it was narrowed down to the gearbox cover (03L103647F) that was replaced. After that the sound was gone. Parts are cheap (~30EUR) but a lot of work to replace it as you have to take off the gearbox, especially on a 4x4. Final bill was 550EUR for repair.

2. Turbocharger boost control error.  Resulted in a loss of power. This was narrowed down to the turbo actuator (03L198716A). Total repair cost 320EUR.

3. For the rattle that was mentioned, I also had it, and indeed it was coming from the air filter box. In my case, I narrowed it down to the drainage hose that comes out of the air filter box. It was touching the metallic part of the front bumper. Re positioned it and the rattle is gone. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...