Undertray

This may seem a very weird question but the answer will settle a pub argument.

I changed my engine oil on Saturday and therefore had to remove the undertray. What a job that was purely down to trying to unscrew the 3 screw type bolts at the rear of the tray.

Eventually did it but through the whole process I was very worried about whether I could remove them  without causing damage etc.At least I didn't have to rip the tray off as some have done in the past according to other posts etc.

Anyway question is what part of the car or engine are these 3 screws fastened to.They are screwed into alloy and not steel cross members and it looks to me like they are screwed to the engine casing or some such.Can someone please advise as it was a fairly vibrant discussion we had in the pub.

Regards David

Not entirely sure, but given that the undertray is  designed to be removed several times for access, I doubt you'd need to worry about stripping threads etc. without severely over tightening them anyway.

I was more worried about actually getting the screw to turn without shearing the head off it.It was that tight as if welded to the alloy.

That is what has prompted the argument as the alloy looks to me like part of the engine.

It's the front x-member.  If you strip the bolts then either re-tap a size bigger or helicoil to the correct size or use self-tappers.

Seriously, if you can't work out what it is by looking at it, do you really think you should be changing the oil?

Whoa there, I change my own oil but couldn't tell you that they fasten into a 'cross member'.

Mine were tight too but a little copper slip on the threads and a dollop of grease on the head and they've been fine ever since.

Sent from my Kestrel using Tapatalk

No I don't think it is a fair point that Brad makes and I take exception to it in every way possible. It is ill informed, ignorant and patronising at the very least. But on seeing where this member is from it explains all. Plank of the highest order. 

I was just asking what part of the car the bolts were fitted to. That's all.  To get responses like this are not helpul and to be honest I really cant see myself using this site again.

Good bye

Got a choice of two here, soooo I'm going forrrrrr.....

2ni7511.jpg

EDIT: Balls, let's do the pair! :)

2r55jxy.jpg

Edited by blackspaven

Locking solution such as Loctite 243 will ensure they stay in place and come out easily next time so long as the heads haven't rusted off.

No I don't think it is a fair point that Brad makes and I take exception to it in every way possible. It is ill informed, ignorant and patronising at the very least. But on seeing where this member is from it explains all. Plank of the highest order. 

I was just asking what part of the car the bolts were fitted to. That's all.  To get responses like this are not helpul and to be honest I really cant see myself using this site again.

Good bye

I'm glad you found this unhelpful:

It's the front x-member.  If you strip the bolts then either re-tap a size bigger or helicoil to the correct size or use self-tappers

If you took exception to the other comment there isn't much I can do.  You're obviously one of the more sensitive souls of the United Kingdom.

BTW: While I might live in Australia, my maternal grandfather's family were contract tunnellers from the tin mines in Cornwall & Devon.  My paternal great-grandfather came to Australia from the UK as a remittance man - I can educate you on that if you don't understand what it means.  My birth-mother was Protestant Irish.  But yes, on the whole, older Australia is populated by a bunch yobs, bell-ends and ne'er-do-wells, mainly sourced from the UK at 10 quid a pop.

I work with a lot of recent (and not so recent) immigrants from the UK.  I've also visited the UK.  On the whole there's a lot more in common than there is different and I get on quite well with them.  It's interesting how much most of them have paid to come here - you'd get a nice car or two in the driveway for the money.  Of course, permanent entry is no longer a given for holders of UK passports.

And just for fun, it's 13.30 on a Thursday here.  I'm taking one of my regular fortnightly days off because I work a punishing 35hr week earning approximately 100% more than the equivalent job in the UK.  It's at the tail end of Autumn and it's blue skies and 22 degrees Celcius.  The water temperature is 20.4C but I must admit, we had our last swim in the ocean a few weeks back - holy cow, there were so many pale skinned British tourists at the beach and so many were burnt!  Poor buggers weren't used to the Autumn sun.

Edited by brad1.8T
  • Like 3

A slight hijack (and an attempt to get it back on topic), how much are new undertrays for FL Mk2s? Mine has obviously been dropped several times in the past and is missing the teeth at the front to support it. I've been driving without it for the last month or so, but would ideally like to refit it to avoid stones going up into the pipes etc.

I found it for £58.93 on this site

I might get one as well as mine has taken a fair bit of battering as I ripped it off when the bolts wouldn't come undone. I did manage to patch it up once I took the bolts off, but maybe I don't care much as its under the car out of sight. TBH, I left if off for about 8 months and I didn't have any trouble with anything getting sucked up into that area.

• Like 1

I'm glad you found this unhelpful:

If you took exception to the other comment there isn't much I can do.  You're obviously one of the more sensitive souls of the United Kingdom.

BTW: While I might live in Australia, my maternal grandfather's family were contract tunnellers from the tin mines in Cornwall & Devon.  My paternal great-grandfather came to Australia from the UK as a remittance man - I can educate you on that if you don't understand what it means.  My birth-mother was Protestant Irish.  But yes, on the whole, older Australia is populated by a bunch yobs, bell-ends and ne'er-do-wells, mainly sourced from the UK at 10 quid a pop.

I work with a lot of recent (and not so recent) immigrants from the UK.  I've also visited the UK.  On the whole there's a lot more in common than there is different and I get on quite well with them.  It's interesting how much most of them have paid to come here - you'd get a nice car or two in the driveway for the money.  Of course, permanent entry is no longer a given for holders of UK passports.

And just for fun, it's 13.30 on a Thursday here.  I'm taking one of my regular fortnightly days off because I work a punishing 35hr week earning approximately 100% more than the equivalent job in the UK.  It's at the tail end of Autumn and it's blue skies and 22 degrees Celcius.  The water temperature is 20.4C but I must admit, we had our last swim in the ocean a few weeks back - holy cow, there were so many pale skinned British tourists at the beach and so many were burnt!  Poor buggers weren't used to the Autumn sun.

Stop it Brad, your making me jealous, No more 10 quid poms. But I wonder if i rob a bank with a bit of violence thrown in for good measure, Or insult the queen with a few choice words i would get deported to the Great Southern Land, Just a thought   :D

Back to the topic of the undertray, As already mentioned put some grease on the threads and heads of the bolts and they shouldn't be a problem in the future.

Edited by Doofy

A slight hijack (and an attempt to get it back on topic), how much are new undertrays for FL Mk2s? Mine has obviously been dropped several times in the past and is missing the teeth at the front to support it. I've been driving without it for the last month or so, but would ideally like to refit it to avoid stones going up into the pipes etc.

I don't know how much they are new but if you visit a wreckers you'll find all the Golf ones fit.  Mine only had the half-undertray & I wanted a full one.  Got one off a MK6 diesel.

• Like 1

I don't know how much they are new but if you visit a wreckers you'll find all the Golf ones fit.  Mine only had the half-undertray & I wanted a full one.  Got one off a MK6 diesel.

Wow. I knew they all shared parts but you know they're just all just the same when even trim parts fit

• 1 year later...