Brighter Headlights

Andyroo

I've had my Octavia vRS for about 6 months now and I'm very happy, but I find the headlights too dim. I generally drive with the foglights on at the moment, which is not a long term, nor fully satisfatory solution IMO.

Could I possibly gain extra power from changing the bulbs?

If so what are the bulbs to get and is it an easy DIY job?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rolleyes: First thing I would do is take the car to an MOT test station and get the headlamp aim checked. I'm sure that uprated bulbs ect. would make the lights better, but if they are so poor even with the standard bulbs that you are having to drive with your front fogs on then there is something very wrong. :thumbup:

www.powerbulbs.com

they have a very big range of bulbs on the site and the prices and delivery are very good.

IIRC i got Osram Silver Stars for mine and they give a very white light that is much clearer than the standard bulbs. They also do Philips bulbs, alot of owners on here use the rally spec ones or the vision plus.

I think I will get them checked and get some brighter bulbs.

Getting them checked was my first thought, I only really noticed it when the nights started drawing in as I don't do much driving at night otherwise.

Would I be right in thinking the rally spec ones are illegal?

I think the rally spec ones are illegal, yes.

I'd goto Powerbulbs or have a browse on eBay, and pick up some standard uprated bulbs from Philips or Osram. I've had both Vision Plus from Philips and Silverstars from Osram and can recommend them both :)

Regardless of whether the aim is out, you'll benefit from an upgrade at this time of year.

Steve

I've ordered a pair of Phillips Vision Plus Bulbs from Powerbulbs...I'll give them a go.

I've been reading some comments from the threads in the 'similar threads' box at the bottom of the page and a lot of people do seem to have upgraded the Octavia headlights. I've never been particularly dissatified with the headlights on any other vehicle I've driven (including my old Fabia 1.4 16v). I wonder if the Octavia's bulbs are just not quite good enough to begin with, especially considering the performance of the car.

Replaced mine with Xenons - best mod ever tbh.

Did you do this by installing a Xenon kit in the existing H4 fitting (have seen a few advertised on the web) or did you replace the entire headlamp with separate projector Xenon and halogen main beam and put in the self-levelling stuff as well?

I find the standard Octavia headlamps to be dire, even after trying lots of different bulbs (probably spoiled as the after-market headlamps on my old Golf are in a different class). If there is any workshop out there that can retrofit a 100% legal Xenon installation, I'd be grateful if anyone could point me in their direction. I already have headlamp washers so that's one of the road-legal boxes ticked.

Adam.

H4 bulbs with D2S bases.

All ignitors' date=' relays etc...

Best ever mod tbh. Done it to 2 of my last cars now and will do it to any i may purchase that i cannot get with HID.[/quote']

thanks. I guess though that this setup would not be 100% legal without self-levelling, or did you do that too?

Anyone out there gone the whole way on a Xenon retrofit?

I've had my Octavia vRS for about 6 months now and I'm very happy' date=' but I find the headlights too dim. I generally drive with the foglights on at the moment, which is not a long term, nor fully satisfatory solution IMO.

Could I possibly gain extra power from changing the bulbs?

If so what are the bulbs to get and is it an easy DIY job?[/quote']

Hi there,

I have had the same problem with my RS. I changed the bulbs to the Osram silver star. There was a marked improvement in the intensity of the light but I was getting no extra range. I brought the car to the main dealer and he said the levels were too low. Apparently alot of new cars they receive in to prepare them for sale have problems with low light levels. My lights are fantastic now , but I would recommend a bulb upgrade as well as sorting your levels.:thumbup:

The bulbs have arrived and I'm gonna fit them tomorrow. See what they are like to start with, but I only work 500 yards from the skoda dealer so I'll get them checked anyway when I go back to work.

What is the bulb set-up in the Mk1 Octy??

Is there just the one bulb with 2 fillaments, and is this the H4?

I had an 04 Fabia sport for a day when my octy was in the garage. The lights on it were brilliant, very bright/ white light. Then when i got back into the octy i was very dissapointed. My wife even asked me if the lights were on at one point!!

I am going to try and buy some bulbs today or tomorrow, just have to decide which ones to get.

JD

mk1 Octy takes the H4 buld (twin filament)

http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/default.asp?prodtype.asp?PT_ID=90&strPageHistory=cat

I had Philips in my Pug 306 (H7s)' date=' but the Osram is meant to be better for the H4s, so I am off to buy some![/quote']

Cheers

Are the H1 and H7 single filament then???

JD

a quick google will get you a 10% off voucher code as well [as previously listed on briskoda.net!'] :-)

10% off with who??

I was going to pop into halfords this afternoon.