Does the VRS have Hill hold?

It has a sort of hill hold for 2 seconds after releasing the break both in forward and reverse gears I think up to a certain degree but I've had occasion where it seemed to roll back a bit as well.

Edited by davitc
  • Like 1

I find if I rest my foot on the brake to the point where the car is held, then it can roll back, but if I ensure I push down on the pedal this always seems to engage the hold on gradients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Mine has it but it's a DSG so might be different. 

I once had a hire van with hill-hold. It had an indicator on the dash to let you know when the hold was active which is much better than previous car (manual) which always felt like a bit of a gamble.

• Like 1

Agree a visual indication would be nice that it is active & when it is released.

However, its only supposed to allow you  the short time to move your foot from the brake pedal to the Accelerator without the need to grab the handbrake.

I think in the Octavia the system is activated based on gradient so on lighter gradients you can still roll back (rather than it being active all the time).

Also, the "hold" function requires a certain driver requested braking force before it is activated.

So if you brake very very lightly (or even just roll to a stop) It won't automaitcally brake for you to stop the car rolling backwards.

• Like 1

First car and experience of this.

Currently, I'm not fussed on it, but it is only 5 days so far.

it's a pretty essential part of "start/stop" driving for me. Taking the car out of gear and foot off the clutch to activate it, means I'm not "holding the car" at biting point anywhere near as much as I used to. So this helps me a lot. Also I'm not having a go here, but people wanting lights on for this and that. Does nobody drive their car through feel or intuitively anymore? Gravity let's me know when it's engaged, or otherwise. If not, I just depress the brake pedal and prompt it into action.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
It works fine in my Elegance, but you still have to make a real "full stop" to activate it.

You can use VCDS to alter how early or late the system releases the brakes (early = engine at low revs, late = engine at higher revs) :

From the list of controllers, select 03-ABS Brakes > select 10-Adaptation > From channel menu, select Hill-start assistant > In the New value box choose from "normal" (défault), "early" or "late".

I've also seen a setting to adjust the minimal angle that the system considers as a "Hill" to hold the car on, not sure but I think default was 5° and I set mine to 3°.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...