Not wanting to start another thread annoying vRS owners about what they have not got  :notme: I am trying to get to the bottom of what steering system is fitted to what.

I was always under the impression that the steering fitted to the vRS was the same variable-ratio steering (progressive) fitted to the MK7 Golf GTi. From what I see now I don't think it is.

Most of the MK3 Octavias have the speed-sensitive variable-assistance (Servotronic) steering rack and it seems that is what is fitted to the vRS also. It is the same part number on the vRS as something like the 2.0 TDi 150 4x4

It seems the vRS does not get different steering, I am trying to find out if this has always been the case.

The Progressive steering is easy to spot, lock to lock is 2 complete turns. the normal servotronic steering is over 3 turns lock to lock.

Curious if that is what vRS owners have found

Not wanting to start another thread annoying vRS owners about what they have not got  :notme: I am trying to get to the bottom of what steering system is fitted to what.

I was always under the impression that the steering fitted to the vRS was the same variable-ratio steering (progressive) fitted to the MK7 Golf GTi. From what I see now I don't think it is.

Most of the MK3 Octavias have the speed-sensitive variable-assistance (Servotronic) steering rack and it seems that is what is fitted to the vRS also. It is the same part number on the vRS as something like the 2.0 TDi 150 4x4

It seems the vRS does not get different steering, I am trying to find out if this has always been the case.

The Progressive steering is easy to spot, lock to lock is 2 complete turns. the normal servotronic steering is over 3 turns lock to lock.

Curious if that is what vRS owners have found

I drove an Octavia Vrs 230 dsg estate last weekend, definitely had progressive steering. I have informed Skoda UK Customer Services that the brochure for Vrs no longer shows it. They are looking into it. Skoda CZ website confirms that it comes with progressive steering.

• Like 1

I drove an Octavia Vrs 230 dsg estate last weekend, definitely had progressive steering. I have informed Skoda UK Customer Services that the brochure for Vrs no longer shows it. They are looking into it. Skoda CZ website confirms that it comes with progressive steering.

Would be interested to hear what they say. Cant see it in the 2013 brochure either though. Certainly says it on the CZ web site

Just checked and mine's two turns lock - lock so I presume variable. I always thought it had the variable as that's what it was orginally advertised as :)

Good to know, it is what I always thought, but a few different sources have the steering rack part numbers for a MY16 VRS the same as a MY16 2.0 TDi 150 and that is definitely over 3 turns lock to lock.

Just making sure I had not missed something, I'm sure it will probably make sense eventually

After driving a 150 as a courtesy car my 2013 vrs definitely has different steering.

Personally, I'm not looking to replace my car with another vrs but losing the progressive steering would be a big negative for me.

That and the smaller discs

• 2 years later...

I have the MK3 230 vrs and it's been a pain with the steering. It's not doing it all the time however when driving, it sometimes just goes hard as if the steering lock, or power steering not working!! It only last seconds, but I have no control trying to steer,took it back to Skoda,who keep saying nothing wrong!!! Anybody else having this problem??

Was under the impression that the 220/230 have a steering ratio of 2.6 turns lock to lock. However the 245 comes with an Alfa Romeo matching 2.1 turns lock to lock which makes it feel much more go-kart like on turn in compared to the older Vrs models and the wider (38mm) rear track of the 245 aids stability on turn in to.:inlove:

It's not the turning,it simply locks the steering,for a second or so ,and goes to the left! Then the steering comes back on? To say it's frightening is no joke, as when I was on the motorway going 70 ish it happened again. RRG Skoda, denied any faults.