Fabia SEL horn

Greetings all,

Can I just ask if the horns on your cars are two tone and / or very loud?

Mine sounds like a wet fart and wouldn't frighten a small child, let alone warn another motorist of my presence / impending danger.

It also seems to be very much a single tone.

Just thought I'd ask, before I go to the dealers and ask them to fix it.

• Like 1

Greetings all,

Can I just ask if the horns on your cars are two tone and / or very loud?

Mine sounds like a wet fart and wouldn't frighten a small child, let alone warn another motorist of my presence / impending danger.

It also seems to be very much a single tone.

Just thought I'd ask, before I go to the dealers and ask them to fix it.

Fix what, that's how it is.

Compared to the silly mk 2 anemic meepy horn Im actually surprised of the quite powerful singeltone horn of my mk 3. It cant be poor insulation only... :)

Yep - it IS an embarrassment.

It sounds like a cross between the horn of a Morris Minor, and the slap of a wet fish.

When dealer phoned, as a courtesy check-in, some weeks after getting the car - I told him about the horn - and then blew said horn whilst on the phone. His response? He cracked up laughing !  Well -- what else could he do ?!

I do intend having look-see at possibility of putting a replacement in. A matched pair if poss.

Gather that it lurks under the battery.

Edited by Dithane

Ha Ha, daughter's late 2009 Ibiza is the same, stops you using it though!  Maybe check out what gets fitted to the Polos, especially the SEL as it and wife's previous 2003MY SE were okay. I'd expect a bit of wiring and relay will also be needed as horns do draw a bit of current (ie a lot!).

• Like 1

Yep - it IS an embarrassment.

It sounds like a cross between the horn of a Morris Minor, and the slap of a wet fish.

When dealer phoned, as a courtesy check-in, some weeks after getting the car - I told him about the horn - and then blew said horn whilst on the phone. His response? He cracked up laughing !  Well -- what else could he do ?!

I do intend having look-see at possibility of putting a replacement in. A matched pair if poss.

Gather that it lurks under the battery.

Morris Minor? Can't vouch for that but my 1959 original Austin A40's horn scares sheep in fields 2 miles away (well one mile).

I agree,my Fabia horn is a little weak when trying to shame bad drivers warning other road users.

Morris Minor? Can't vouch for that but my 1959 original Austin A40's horn scares sheep in fields 2 miles away (well one mile).

I agree,my Fabia horn is a little weak when trying to shame bad drivers warning other road users.

There were Minors and A40s (the "facelifted" mk 2!) in my extended family in the 60s and 70s .. Bizarrely - at least here in Ireland - the locally assembled Minors seemed to have a different horn to the A40s. I could tell them apart anyway!  My uncles last A40 was a Countryman - and I wonder if that had a different horn to the regular A40?  I seem to remember (?) some manufacturers back then offering optional "Town & Country" horns - not just BMC, if I remember correctly?? 

I also seem to remember using that A40 horn on another car that I had later - exactly because it was a loud horn.

Both the note and the volume on the Fabia horn are definitely Dodge City.

mine is fine, guess i have the two tone horn.

you could always retrofit it yourself.

high tone = 5Q0951223B

low tone = 5Q0951221A

Thank you, man - that is great info to have.

I used to find that years ago Ford only fitted the high tone to "lesser" models, so I just added the "low tone" - might not be the case with current VAGs though.

• Like 1

My old Mk1 horn was great.. wish I'd asked to swap it off onto the Mk3 at time I got my car.. :wall:

Well initially I used the second Ford horn on any of my Fords that came with only one horn, then when I was lucky enough to get Fords with dual horns, I used to fit it to wife's Fords, so really that second horn did have a long life!

What's all the fuss about a horn, it's probably the least used part on the car anyway.

No, if we all had Mk1 horns, we'd be using them all the time!

• Like 1

What's all the fuss about a horn, it's probably the least used part on the car anyway.

My fuss about it is because of people pulling into the lane that I'm in - evidently without looking, not to mention not indicating ( well - the nice ones indicate AFTER they've already started to change lane!), and are within a smidge of sitting on a front wing - and/or the bonnet. 

Has frightened the bejongles outta me - and it seems to be getting worse over here - I suspect that attention on smartphones is the likely culprit.

The M50 here ( Dublin's version of London's M25 ) is reeking of horrible driving habits. Really scary. And the N11 that feeds into south Dublin City is, between 7.00 and 10am, a few steps removed from the Ben Hur chariot race !!

Decent Horn needed !!!

There is a chance that I still have that A40 horn somewhere !! Though it might have been positive earth (@RickW - refresh my memory) !!

• Like 1

As it is coming from an "old school" car, why not mount it using a bit of wood, or even some modern hitech insulating material - problem solved!

Edit:- actually I'd be a bit concerned if I had mounted it like I suggested, too much metal that is not earth, an accident trying to happen!

Edited by rum4mo
  • Like 1

Try to record it, would like to know if mine is the same

In Denmark a two-tone horn is standard on Fabia III (mentioned in the brochure).

However the old Fabia II had the very feeble one-tone horn.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Well yes and no! The horn is used to warn others of your presence (just like the flashing of headlights}.I travel on single track country roads with plenty of "blind" corners/bends in which case my horn gets plenty of use.

i'm looking for a replacement that actually sounds like a horn (a Deltic train horn is too big to fit under bonnet)           

Well yes and no! The horn is used to warn others of your presence (just like the flashing of headlights}.I travel on single track country roads with plenty of "blind" corners/bends in which case my horn gets plenty of use.

i'm looking for a replacement that actually sounds like a horn (a Deltic train horn is too big to fit under bonnet)           

The Deltic horn is rubbish in my opinion,try a Class 37 one instead (I'm a railway anorak too).

??

Who is being warned on country roads with blind corners by a horn, 

'Horse Riders',

Shepherds & Farmers moving animals and cyclists / walkers that a car is about to arrive?

The only time i ever hear horns sounded in the country side is when there is a Fox Hunt or someone is toot tooting hello as they pass by.