2011 FABIA VRS TSI PROBLEMS GONE TITS UP!

HI GUYS IM NEW HERE AND NEED SOME ADVICE.

SO I BROUGHT A FABIA VRS FROM A SMALL DEALERSHIP IN BIRMINGHAM IN APRIL, IT HAD QUITE HIGH MILAGE BUT I DIDN'T HAVE THE MONEY TO GET MYSELF A LOW MILAGE ONE.

THE CAR HAS DRIVEN SPOT ON SINCE OWNING SO I GOT A REVO AIR FILTER AND SOFTWARE TUNE AND REVO RECOMMENDED NGK SPARK PLUGS FITTED AND  DONE 1 MONTH AGO AND THEN TWO WEEKS AGO I HAD A MISFIRE UNDER LOAD SO PULLED THE COILS AND PLUGS OUT TO TAKE AS LOOK AND PLUG NUMBER 4 HAD BURNED THE GROUND ELECTRODE OUT COMPLETELY AND 1,2 AND 3 WHERE GOOD AS NEW. SO I CARRIED OUT A COMPRESSION TEST WHICH SHOWED CYLINDER 4 TO BE 10 PSI DOWN WHICH I DON'T BELIEVE TO BE TOO MUCH OF A PROBLEM SO I PUT SOME NEW GENUINE PLUGS BACK IN AND IT WAS ABSOLUTELY FINE BUT I HAVE STARTED NOTICING THE ODD MISFIRE AND EXCESSIVE OIL BEING BURNED ALSO THE COOLANT SHOWS 90 AFTER ABOUT ONE MINUTE OF DRIVING WHICH IS QUICK!

AND ALSO OTHER ISSUES ARE MY DASH CLUSTER IS ACTING FUNNY, WHEN I TURN TRACTION OFF THE COOLANT LIGHT COME ON ASWELL AND IF I INDICATE LEFT IT FLASHES WITH THE INDICATOR ALSO WHEN CRUISE CONTROL IS ON THE INDICATOR LIGHT UP FAINTLY.

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

I DONT WANT TO BUY A COMPLETE NEW ENGINE AND HAVE THIS PROBLEM AGAIN IF THERE IS A WAY TO REBUILD WITH BETTER NOT FORGED PARTS THEN THATS IDEAL IF NOT CAN I FIT A NEWER ENGINE ON THE SAME ECU?

MANY THANKS NICK 

Personally, I have had over 35 cars and majority have been mapped or played with. The vrs is the first I have not touched, bar a cat back, the reason is I think at 180bhp you are at the limits of the engine already, I drive mine hard and I think squeezing a few extra horses out of it is just asking for it to go bang.

Personally I would rebuild and keep it standard.

• Like 3

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

Forgetting the Fundamental Design * Manufacturing issues with CAVE engines 2010-2012

REVO Remaps have kiilled plenty as well. CAVE 1.4 TSI Twincharger 2009-2012 first with SEAT Ibiza & the Fabia / Polo /A1.

Their recommended spark plugs being an issue.

Very short life when with the REVO Stage 1 Map.

Maybe get Skoda's / VW's latest Software Update as your Engine Management and use DENSO Spark Plugs.

99 Octane Petrol or at least 97 ron, and check the ECU Connection /Plug in.

Some REVO disaster with Mk2 Fabia vRS threads were removed from Briskoda forum,

ones where legal action were required.

Some still are there if you search.

???

Was your Remap done via the OBD Port, or was your ECU Opened to do the Remap?

PS

Unless you know for sure what oil is in the engine,

maybe best Change the Oil & Filter and put in 5w 40 to VW502 00

Edited by GoneOffSKi

Buys car with flawed engine

Remaps

Wonders why has issues

Hmmm

Posters have already commented to this effect in far politer, tactful and helpful terms.
  • Like 2

Potential flawed engine, 

then use better consumables and software than VW-Skoda-Seat-Audi had as OEM and you can lessen any future problems as many have done.

Increased efficiency etc.

It is just that REVO sold a remap that could kill an engine rather easily while APR Remaps did not.

VW came up with Software Update / Engine Management after update to try and protect the engine and eventually got it right finally.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

right ok thanks guys so where is the best place to get a decent second hand engine? can i fit a different engine code to my ecu? aka one thats had this problem sorted?

You will need an engine and the ECU that came with it, and the CTHE from late 2012 to early 2013 can be problematic, 

so you will be wanting one from after summer 2013 and the ECU they come with.

It is not just a simple case with the ECU.

Maybe James@RRGRochdale has experience with these.

Have you personally changed these engines.?

There are 3 members here i know of with CAVE that had replacement engines that required new ECU's due the the 

'hybrid' CAVE / CTHE that was supplied by VW.

I had a CAVE car that i had a Early CTHE in and had to run the Early CTHE ECU. 

Externally there are 3 different ECU's 2009-2012, and 2 from 2012-2014.

Engine management was a trial and error exercise with VW / Skoda.

One ECU is very problematic.

That is from Summer 2012-2013.

Edited by GoneOffSKi

About 20, 5 cupra/boccanegras at Seat the rest have been fabias, a fair few 1.8tsi engines in octavias too. I won't deny there's serious mechanical issues but I'm afraid I've never heard anything relating to mandatory ecu replacement other than a software update that accompanies the engine change, there's no mention of it in the tpi relating to the procedure either.

Not mandatory replacement.

The new engines arrived in the crate after 2013 to be fitted to CAVE engine cars and they could not be made to run.

New ECU's were required.

The subject is Skoda 1.4 TSI Twinchargers,

We know of SEAT's that were able to be remapped and the ECU on the Skoda could not, 

and also Skoda said no Software update available on early CTHE in Skoda, 

and the Seat Ibiza CTHE 2013 was delayed and then came with a different map.

Honestly the first I've heard of it and the skodas I've worked on have ranged from 2010 upto 2013.

They've all been a case of engine in, software update, extended testing - returned to the customer, some were already running the latest software available at the time.

There's nothing mechanical to prevent the starting of the engine and the only fundamental differences between the new and old engines are the modified internals.

Everything is transferred and the lumps arrive completely bare.

Here lies the problem you are a Master Tech and that is the line given, the swap and the running is not the issue, 

the issues have then been the poor running, the bad engine management and then a Master Tech that knows their arse from their elbow needing to do the job properly.

There are plenty of examples of this if you want to read them.

Even a member here on the 3rd engine in the car.

Too many dealership groups were doing engine changes and treating them the same, and getting it wrong.

I can name a few Dealerships on Scotland that had this issue.

One owns the College that trains the technicians. 

Edited by GoneOffSKi

Well of the 15 I've done, including at least 3 of those being members on here (ThomasAspin and Dezthestig being 2 that I can recall the usernames of, the other was a white vrs with a carbon wrapped roof, belonged to a police officer on here?) I've followed the instructions to the letter and other than a broken wire on a map sensor and a leaking injector seal (on Derek's black vrs) I've never had any return with poor running faults or reoccurring oil consumption issues.

Even in cases where the oil jets and software have been the cure.

I've heard stories of lambda probe faults after replacement or timing chain issues but never had them occur on my builds?

Edited by James@RRGRochdale
  • Like 2

As things should be.

Such a pity it did not go so smooth for many.

Right back to when there might not have been so many failures if Skoda / VW paid more attention to the failing Seat's from 2009.

Then if VW / Skoda got on the case and more cars had Spark Plugs checked.

Then there were the Bottom End Rebuilds the Short Engines before Base Engines were supplied,

all the time nobody was admitting anything at VW, SEAT, Skoda or Audi.

Then changes in Spark Plugs as OEM, Breather / Valve Mods, Software Updates, MK2 Beather Mods in Australia, then Oil Spray Jets.

A farce actually from 2009-2012 and 2012-2014

http://revotechnik.com/support/technichal/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

PS

Thomasaspin had Oil Spray jets done before getting a replacement engine finally did he not.

Like so many told that Oil use was within tolerances, while the Oil Consumption Test was not fit for purpose,

and there were even Techs that did not know the weight of a litre of engine oil.

EG.

post-86161-0-00919800-1465077261_thumb.jpg

Edited by GoneOffSKi

I completely agree and as much as I'd like say it's a thing of the past it upsets me that I still regularly see faults occurring that are a direct result of poor parts sourcing and cost cutting.

Particularly at the moment with fuel pumps and air con compressors.

How can I defend a brand group that I've served and dedicated over a decade of my career to that chooses to utilise sub standard parts over quality items yet still expect 100% customer satisfaction from their product and demands the same of us as retailers.

• Like 1

I had an argument about the "acceptable tolerance of oil use" with Skoda technical. I asked that if 500ml over 1000km is acceptable then over the 15000km period between services the engine can burn nearly twice the fill level of oil? 7.5 litres? Then why, realistically do they need an oil change during servicing? It must burn off any impurities surely?

They were no help with a reply and I obviously know the benefits of removing the sump plug every 10k miles but I thought an obtuse piece of technical literature required an obtuse question.

With Tom's car, like several others - we've had to comply with the testing process. We all know that a car using a calculated 1200ml of of oil every 1000km isn't going to be miraculously cured with a few pipes, some higher pressure oil jets and a bit of software but it has to be done beforehand.

• Like 1

Some really high oil users, even ones rejected and brought back into the dealer network went back into sales with no work carried out.

It was not that surprising that a change to 5w 40 and good spark plugs not the OEM and a Remap to stage 1 could have them not using oil.