new DTUK CRD3+ - 3 channel tuning system

Ive not been online for a while, and after reading a few threads i thought id add my own feedback regarding the new 3 channel CRD3+

2 channel v's 3 channel..

If we go back 3 years, I'm sure i mentioned that there was a 3 channel kit available but at the time it required a 12v power supply, plus earth connection. For various reasons i didnt want to use these systems so went down the road of the 2 channel CRDT and subsequent CRDT+ systems. This option has been dyno'd on several occasions on various cars and has produced 235/248hp and 480/515nm.

Over the last couple of years I've  been running various cars (S3's RS3's M2's 1M's L200/ T5 Kombi) since handing over the VRS to one of our guys and ill be honest and say that the Octavis VRS is a car I miss on a daily basis, its such a complete all rounder and if they offered a manual 4X4 VRS TDI id have one in a heart beat.

So about a month ago i managed to pry the keys out of Simons hands (gave him the L200) and jumped into the VRS running the CRD3+ system. My initial feelings were that the car was certainly a lot more refined, and wasn't in your face as much as the last time id driven it with CRDT (2 channel).. I thought it had lost a bit of its "fun" factor, but on the other hand it was nice to be able to pull away without lighting up the front wheels. 

I ran the car for 2 weeks, and the more time i spent with the car the more i began to realise how much different the 3 channel felt to the 2 channel..  The 3 channel is a lot more refined, and one think found was that it simply pulled, pulled and pulled even more..  An analogy i use now to customers is that the CRDT is like a "quick sharp push in the back" where as the crd3 is a more "gradual/forcefull push"

We took a car to the dyno and ran CRDT map 1 plus 1, we then ran CRD3 Map 2 plus 2 and them CRD3 map 3 plus 1 and bhp and torque figures between the 3 files were virtually identical.

Im always saying that dyno figures don't tell the whole story, and if you run all 3 files on the road they all feel very very different even though under full throttle on the dyno the curves were virtually identical.

CRD3 software files.

map 1 - ??????

map 2 - this is map 2 from the CRDT but with a cam connection

map 3 - this is map 1 from CRDT but with a cam connection

why have i added ????? after map 1? well we've been over the moon with map 2 and 3, but on certain boxes we've had requests from customers to actually have the "in your face" map 1 of the crdt flashed onto their boxes.. So depending on the customers requests map 1 on certain CRD3 modules can be different, where as MAP 2 and MAP 3 are the same on each and every CRD3+ we've sold onto the 2.0 184ps 

So is the CRD3+ worth the extra £20 (including forum discounts) over the CRDT+? id say it is as for one thing it will extend the life of your tyres :)

if anyone is looking to purchase a kit, then follow this link

http://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/systems_available.php?id=4932

at the top of the page if you add BRI80 the CRD3+ drops down to £379 plus £6.95 shipping

if anyone has purchased a CRDT+ (push button module) from us direct and would like to upgrade to the CRD3+ then this service is available. The costs are £96.95 inc vat and carriage, this is for the new loom (3 channel) and the software is free of charge. If you have bought a used CRDT+ and wish to upgrade, then the cost for this service is £186.95 as software is chargeable.]]

Edited by Andrew@DTUK

Hi Andrew, has there been any upgrades to the box for the TSi petrol version?  I have yet to install mine which I purchased from you just before Christmas. Cheers

Edited by Nezman

Andrew, when you talk about maps 1-3 - how do these equate to the buttons on the box? From the instructions on your website, it talks about 1: Sport, 2: Dynamic and 3: Eco.

What's the read across from the maps you talk about to these settings? And what's the aim of the Eco setting, does it actually reduce power etc?

Andrew, when you talk about maps 1-3 - how do these equate to the buttons on the box? From the instructions on your website, it talks about 1: Sport, 2: Dynamic and 3: Eco.

What's the read across from the maps you talk about to these settings? And what's the aim of the Eco setting, does it actually reduce power etc?

zee germans refer to sport/dynamic/eco..

We refer to the 3 maps as map 1/ map 2/ map 3

Hi Andrew, has there been any upgrades to the box for the TSi petrol version?  I have yet to install mine which I purchased from you just before Christmas. Cheers

no updates on the 220/230ps TSI :)

I had one of these boxes fitted to my L&K 2.0 TDI 150 a couple of months back and it is excellent - highly recommend it.

I haven't had it on a dyno, not really interested tbh, but the difference is like night and day.

Will these boxes void your warranty?

as were downstream of the ecu there are no electronic traces left behind, so in a nutshell as long as the kit is removed before the car goes back to the dealers then there is no trace of the kit.

if this wasn't the case there would be a lot of threads being posted by bRISKODA members stating that they had had issues with their warranties :)

zee germans refer to sport/dynamic/eco..

We refer to the 3 maps as map 1/ map 2/ map 3

Ok - so what is the difference between the 3 different maps? I understand the +3 and -3 bit, but what's the difference between the maps?

I have been running CRDT+ for more than a year without issues and it really transforms the car, so much that you cant drive without it any more  :devil: 

If only there way a mobile app available to change modes so you dont have to pull over and lift the bonnet  :D

Ok - so what is the difference between the 3 different maps? I understand the +3 and -3 bit, but what's the difference between the maps?

do you have a module at present ?

Yep - but the instructions that came with the unit refer to sport, dynamic and Eco, hence my earlier comments.

I've only been using it in 2+2 at present - as I thought that was most sensible without pushing it to 2+3. I thought map 1 was less 'dynamic' and map 3 was Eco, that's why I haven't tried anything else!

Also got a pedal box from you, but haven't tried that yet.

Two weeks ago I sold my 2010 2.0TFSI VRS and got myself a SEAT Leon FR 184 TDI. I know it's not a Skoda but essentially they share the same engine. Less than a week ago I got one of the new CRD3+ boxes and couldn't be happier! The hardest part about installing it was figuring out how to unplug the existing connectors but it was done in less than 10 mins. I ran it at 2+1 for the first few days and now I'm trying 2+2 which is slightly more aggressive. Very smooth acceleration and the power just keeps on coming.

Also spoke to Simon on the phone a couple of days ago and he was able to give me some pointers on notifying my insurance company.

I'm really impressed with the box and would definitely recommend it.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep - but the instructions that came with the unit refer to sport, dynamic and Eco, hence my earlier comments.

I've only been using it in 2+2 at present - as I thought that was most sensible without pushing it to 2+3. I thought map 1 was less 'dynamic' and map 3 was Eco, that's why I haven't tried anything else!

Also got a pedal box from you, but haven't tried that yet.

Andrew, any further info as to what the 3 maps are? Do you have dyno plots for all 3, or are the maps menat to get more agressive as the number increase, i.e. map 1 is the least agressive, map 3 the most etc?

• 1 year later...

Hi guys :)

I just bought my Octavia vRS, 2016, TDi, 184ps.
I was wonderring if this this box "DTUK CRD3+ - 3 channel tuning system" is the best to use for the car and what is the best option to use ?
I saw ppl saying 1+1...

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 15/08/2017 at 19:32, fat4l said:

Hi guys :)

I just bought my Octavia vRS, 2016, TDi, 184ps.
I was wonderring if this this box "DTUK CRD3+ - 3 channel tuning system" is the best to use for the car and what is the best option to use ?
I saw ppl saying 1+1...

Thanks!

it depends on the car, as quoted different sensor tolerances can make one program work better than another on different cars.

I've fitted the CRD3+ to my 14 plate TDI vRS and the pedal box as a kit. I've just had it 1 week and am keeping the setting at program 1 for a week to test. Immediately i notice a huge shift in power from 2500 up and i'm spinning the wheels in third gear in the wet just going up through the gears, which is phenomenal for a diesel. I'm very impressed overall but ill wait a month to test all programs and push the +1 button to see.

As i haven't tried the other programs yet, i cant comment whats best for me. I do mostly motorway in the morning/evening, 1 hour each way, so far i'm getting a return of 47 on the maxidot but i believe this is out, and a correction needs to be made. My driving style would be described as aggressive :)  so i expect the mpg to increase.

I'm immediately impressed with the power increase, it was easy to fit but the common rail plug hard to remove and had to take the pliers but be gentle with it. I'm in a hire car this week and its a POS so i cant wait to get back to the vRS.

I have experience of tuning boxes with racechip, taking my carens from 140 to 178, definitely not as noticeable as this upgrade. So far im pretty happy with it and havent even started to push it hard.

I've recently fitted the DTUK CRD3 to my car and the maps explained to me on another forum as

Map 1 - Changes the fueling not the boost
Map 2 - Changes the fueling and the boost
Map 3 - Is a lower version of the above so I would not even go there - i.e. Eco Mode

I've been running mine on Map 2 +1 and found it suits my needs with plenty more torque throughout starting lower down the revs and power too. No smoke and still very smooth. I was expecting the MPG to drop but it's actually increased slightly but nothing to get excited about.  I would be tempted to see what +2 and +3 produced but at the moment have plenty enough performance without the increased tyre wear.

I used a the older two channel box on a previous car but found it very crude and swapped it for a Superchips Bluefin and changed that out for a good remap. This has been a completely better product and would recommend more than a remap as you can take it with you to your next car or remove it completely quickly should you wish to.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 02/10/2017 at 14:38, JohnnyType2 said:

it depends on the car, as quoted different sensor tolerances can make one program work better than another on different cars.

I've fitted the CRD3+ to my 14 plate TDI vRS and the pedal box as a kit. I've just had it 1 week and am keeping the setting at program 1 for a week to test. Immediately i notice a huge shift in power from 2500 up and i'm spinning the wheels in third gear in the wet just going up through the gears, which is phenomenal for a diesel. I'm very impressed overall but ill wait a month to test all programs and push the +1 button to see.

As i haven't tried the other programs yet, i cant comment whats best for me. I do mostly motorway in the morning/evening, 1 hour each way, so far i'm getting a return of 47 on the maxidot but i believe this is out, and a correction needs to be made. My driving style would be described as aggressive :)  so i expect the mpg to increase.

I'm immediately impressed with the power increase, it was easy to fit but the common rail plug hard to remove and had to take the pliers but be gentle with it. I'm in a hire car this week and its a POS so i cant wait to get back to the vRS.

I have experience of tuning boxes with racechip, taking my carens from 140 to 178, definitely not as noticeable as this upgrade. So far im pretty happy with it and havent even started to push it hard.

Any updates?

10 hours ago, stever750 said:

Any updates?

yes been driving it now for a month and a half, its probably the best tuning box remap i've had. Feels like a huge power gain especially paired with the pedal box. 

I've had a few Clio Williams and Clio Sports in my boy-racers years and this car is this most fun i've had for along time. As described the power isnt harsh its nice and smooth and pulls all the way and keeps going.

Get the tuning box pedal its well worth it.

3 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

yes been driving it now for a month and a half, its probably the best tuning box remap i've had. Feels like a huge power gain especially paired with the pedal box. 

I've had a few Clio Williams and Clio Sports in my boy-racers years and this car is this most fun i've had for along time. As described the power isnt harsh its nice and smooth and pulls all the way and keeps going.

Get the tuning box pedal its well worth it.

Thanks for the info. I'm sooooo tempted! What have you found with different settings? I get the impression there is one optimum for the engine application, rather than a whole bunch of options. I'm keen to know what the max use able setting, and then can back it off from there if need be. 

Edited by stever750

I'm still not clear exactly which map does what, but I've covered around 500 miles now on 2+1 and it's pretty good. Pulls nicely above 2.5k to 4.5k, drops off rapidly thereafter but in the zone it feels linear. I've got a drive back across mid Wales tomorrow, so might try 1+1 or 3+0. Guess I'll flip a coin over breakfast!