Android Auto - Compatible Phone list

I have just purchased a cheap PAYG Android smartphone to try out Android Auto in my MkIII, with a view to using it on an upcoming holiday to France. ( Already tried out my iPhone 6 with Apple Play and that works fine ) I bought an LG K4 which was on offer at O2, 1Ghz Quad core, 1meg ram,8GB internal storage, Android 5.1.1 for £50.

Before purchasing I checked the Android Auto website for a compatibility list but there isn't one, it just says the minimum requirement is that the phone must be on Android 5.0 or later. A bit more searching reveals a caveat saying some phones may not work because they don't have enough memory or the wrong type of video processor. No info on minimum ram requirement though.

So having wasted £50 I thought it might be a good idea if we could create a list of compatible/non-compatible phones in this Forum, preferably pinned ?

I'll start the ball rolling:-

iPhone 6, 32Gb storage, iOS 9.3.2 - Compatible

LG K4, 8Gb storage, Android 5.1.1 - not compatible, Android Auto phone app will not start just says "incompatible phone"

Any of you recommend a cheap(ish) Android phone that you know is compatible ? Doesn't have to be the latest model, just one that works :dull:

TIA.

• Like 1

Hi there,

It may be that you don't have the latest version of Google Play Services installed. This will have a bearing on the app being able to be installed possibly.

Here is a guide to that maybe be of some use to people here regarding Android Auto. It's from an American site but they cover things pretty well.

Hopefully someone will find it useful.

I personally love Android Auto but to get the most out of it you really do have to commit yourself to the Google ecosystem.

http://www.androidcentral.com/android-auto-basics

Anyway, I hope some of you find this helpful or at least interesting.

Ollie

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Smartlink will provide data for Škoda's apps,
but in real life it isn't useable cause phone loses i-net connection when connected to (not)Smartgate

same job can do 10x cheaper ODB2 Bluetooth device from Ali

Hello.

For mirror link compitability list use this site

http://www.mirrorlink.com/phones

And for android auto country support list and supported devices also supported app list as for the moment, use this website before you purchase your next android.

https://www.android.com/intl/en_us/auto/

They say any android phone with lollipop or higher which is a bit fogy becouse there are some phones with a very bad specs like 1gb of ram and old week processor, those can't handel the processing power needed

In your case you have LG k4 which is:

OS Android OS, v5.1.1 (Lollipop)

Chipset Mediatek MT6735M - K120E, K130E

Qualcomm MSM8909 Snapdragon 210 - K121

CPU Quad-core 1.0 GHz Cortex-A53 - K120E, K130E

Quad-core 1.1 GHz Cortex-A7 - K121

GPU Mali-T720MP2 - K120E, K130E

Adreno 304 - K121

1GB RAM

The phone looks fine as a spare phone bearly for phone calls and maybe Skype or so but to run media on external device like the case for Android Auto, i will be surprise to even connect to the system.

You need atlest 2 gig of ram with snappdragon 800 and above .

This will be fine.

The previose posts the guys recommend you middle to high end phones which is great but if you are on budget i would strongly recommend a secound hand mid range phone.

Like LG g2 or g3 i have both and they are great phones and highly customizable if you have the time to read a bit on the internet how to!

Any phone will do as long as you still in mid range specs as i mention min 2gig of ram and cpu snapdragon 800 or above.

Good luck

Ps.

Use this site to see the technical specs befor you buy any phone:

Www.gsmarena.com

• Like 1

Vodafone smart ultra 6 is a good choice.

Every so slightly off topic but I had an unlocked EE one of these and found that whilst it worked fine in the UK, there must have been something stopping my roaming SIM from actually roaming. A big problem only finding out when you land in a foreign country!

Every so slightly off topic but I had an unlocked EE one of these and found that whilst it worked fine in the UK, there must have been something stopping my roaming SIM from actually roaming. A big problem only finding out when you land in a foreign country!

Mine works ok when I visit Cyprus but something worth noting for checking if possible or having an alternative.

Hello.

For mirror link compitability list use this site

http://www.mirrorlink.com/phones

And for android auto country support list and supported devices also supported app list as for the moment, use this website before you purchase your next android.

https://www.android.com/intl/en_us/auto/

They say any android phone with lollipop or higher which is a bit fogy becouse there are some phones with a very bad specs like 1gb of ram and old week processor, those can't handel the processing power needed

Thanks for the advice. I returned the LGK4 to O2 and got a refund. Picked up a 2nd hand Google Nexus 5 running Android 6 in mint condition for £40 and it works a treat. Just hoping that Waze is made Android Auto compatible then I'll be very happy!

Thanks for the advice. I returned the LGK4 to O2 and got a refund. Picked up a 2nd hand Google Nexus 5 running Android 6 in mint condition for £40 and it works a treat. Just hoping that Waze is made Android Auto compatible then I'll be very happy!

Waze has been confirmed for Android Auto later this year. ;):thumbup:

• Like 1

My S7 Edge works well with SmartLink in my Fabia. It does MirrorLink too but that's a waste of time IMO. Every now and again it crashes though, and the Bolero unit reboots. Not 100% sure if it's on the latest software revision, but as I only got it a few weeks ago it should be! 

• 3 weeks later...

I needs to order a new phone today... mine has broken.

Wasa LG G3 - Smartlink works ok ish... but no mirror link.

I would like a new phone with has Smartlink for Andoid Auto and Mirror link if possible.

Any chance of pointing me in the right direction of handsets with big screens ~?

Thank you

(ps.. dont want Apple as i use Amazon music)

Thanks

• 2 months later...

My S7 Edge works well with SmartLink in my Fabia. It does MirrorLink too but that's a waste of time IMO. Every now and again it crashes though, and the Bolero unit reboots. Not 100% sure if it's on the latest software revision, but as I only got it a few weeks ago it should be! 

Ah heck. The same happens with my S5 (Bolero unit reboots). Skoda say that this isn't a known problem and there's no update. I was looking to upgrade to an S7, hoping it was fixed. Does anyone know if this happens with Android phones from other manufacturers? Or has there been an S7 firmware update that fixes the issue?

It's a real pain when it reboots while driving, especially as it can happen every 10 minutes or so, sometimes! It seems to happen most often when I have both navigation and music at the same time, although I have had it happen once when neither was running. Rebooting the phone seemed to stop the Bolero unit rebooting on my S5, so it might be an issue on the phone side.

Edited by arghness

It's not been too bad for me. I'd recommend the S7 at any rate, I love mine!

It does seem though that both SmartLink and Android Auto are beta products- huge promise, but still kind of flawed at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello I have ordered my Superb with bolero radio :)

I have question my phone is HTC 10, and I bought Sygic Car Navigation so I can transfer my phone display to Bolero. Is it possible to have on screen navigation and in the background listen music from SD card? I know that is working with listening the radio but i dont know if it's working with playing mp3.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello I have ordered my Superb with bolero radio :)

I have question my phone is HTC 10, and I bought Sygic Car Navigation so I can transfer my phone display to Bolero. Is it possible to have on screen navigation and in the background listen music from SD card? I know that is working with listening the radio but i dont know if it's working with playing mp3.

I came here to ask the same question :)