Wind whistle around drivers door

I dont understand the mentioned secondary seal that is missing. Octavia do have inner and outer (secondary) door seals!

If it whistle something is wrong, maybe the doors need adjusting or the seals are damaged or loose.

But the Octavia is noisy at higher speed. Partly lack of soundproofing and partly that the glas it self is thin

• 1 year later...
On 15.2.2017 at 19:50, istvan said:

Although the seals have arrived, for the moment I have not taken them from the dealer, because I have two major problems with my car that I need to sort out, before I will re-assume my wind-noise project: Have ordered (and received) Audi A3 (8V) seats, -just waiting for installation but they have come without airbags -, and to change coils and/or dampers to make the car softer, because for me this combination of soft-cloth seats -with no lower back support, and that transmits every small shake of the car-, and hard suspension is an overkill, causing backpain and headaches (the car sits on the garage from aprox 3-4 weeks and I use my wife`s car)

Hi @istvan, Is your problem solved? How is the experience with the VW seals? I have similar wind noise problems above 62 mph. 

Any further tips to reduce the wind noise further(except changing car ;) ) ?

Best Regards

• 3 months later...

Good evening all. 

Just seeing if there was a conclusion to the improvement of sound insulation regarding fitted extra d seal and or passat door seal? 

I find the Octavia to be the noisiest car I’ve ever driven. It’s like a tinny echo. I have a 1.6tdi se business. 16” wheels and hatch back. But the engine / wind/ other external sounds are a real let down for the car. 

Hi @wellsy, 

I have installed a D type seal, bought from ebay for like 10 euros on my front door. It reduced the windnoise a bit between 100 to 130 km/h. But after that, we cant control the noise anymore.

Yes, its a let down for the car. But only option  then would be to change the car ( which may not be easy). 

I have 80 percent of ride inside city ( 50 km/h limits). So not that annoying at the moment. 

Soon or later I will plan for a new car.

Space is a plus and also the affordable add ons like xenons, emergency braking, canton speakers etc. 

Wish they had taken care of this noise factor as well. :(

Best Regards,

Azif

2 hours ago, Azimov said:

Hi @wellsy, 

I have installed a D type seal, bought from ebay for like 10 euros on my front door. It reduced the windnoise a bit between 100 to 130 km/h. But after that, we cant control the noise anymore.

Yes, its a let down for the car. But only option  then would be to change the car ( which may not be easy). 

I have 80 percent of ride inside city ( 50 km/h limits). So not that annoying at the moment. 

Space is a plus and also the affordable add ons like xenons, emergency braking, canton speakers etc. 

Best Regards,

Azif

Hi Azif,

many thanks for your reply, would you have any photos of thelocation you chose for the d seal. I’ve ordered some from amazon to fit , just not sure best location. 

Yeah, I’ve had the car 8 months, so can’t replace it just yet, wife wouldn’t be happy lol. but will try sound proofing the boot, floor, doors and engine bay next. 

It is a shame, size is great, engine  not bad performance wise, if a little noisy and coarse. 

The strange thing is, sometimes the noise seems really bad. The disappointing thing for me, in some ways the car was perfect for what I needed. Large car plus Friendly dealer, very helpful people on here. But, for me, the noise is unacceptable. This was my first skoda however at present put me off another skoda 

2 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

How about wind deflectors on the windows?  doe that go some way to reducing the noise or does it just move it else where?

Hi mark, 

Thanks for tip I’ll have a look. I wasn’t sure on wind deflectors , some people say they cause more noise, so not sure. Guess it can’t get worse lol. I hope I can suppress the noise down, not sure my ears can handle the next 3 years of finance lol

3 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

How about wind deflectors on the windows?  doe that go some way to reducing the noise or does it just move it else where?

I removed my Heko wind deflectors as I found they created a whistle on the drivers side on the motorway. I believe it was due to a not perfect fit on the top apex, it was only a few mm, but that was my arm chair conculsion. Their removal removed the problem.

6 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

Hi mark, 

Thanks for tip I’ll have a look. I wasn’t sure on wind deflectors , some people say they cause more noise, so not sure. Guess it can’t get worse lol. I hope I can suppress the noise down, not sure my ears can handle the next 3 years of finance lol

Hi, 

i have noticed something strange which I’ve not noticed before, after all the dry weather, today it’s rained. the car seems noticeably quieter driving home. Ok, this might be Nothing, but I wonder if weak / dodgy sealing is the Octavia weakness. I know it sounds silly, but could the water temporarily blocks the gap. Or maybe talking about the noise of the car lately as made me sensitive to every change . Anyway just an idea 

I have read somewhere (could it be in the Seat forum?) that one of the problems might be the door fitting to the car.

The solution proposed is weird, but it might work:

- Roll the window all the way down

- Open the door

- Place your knee against the door armrest while standing up

- grab with both hands the top frame of the door

- GENTLY pull the hands towards you while pushing with the knee and GENTLY bend the top frame

This might need a decent amount of force, but what we are looking for is a few mm overall of bend.

The principle is that the door will sit more flush with the car and as such, seal better.

My old Octavia did that but my current Leon does not - there are other Leons that have the exact same problem as the Octavia.

To me, the solution makes sense and might be worth a shot - some guys in the thread said it is a "trick of the trade" and that it is the "official dealer solution" for that problem at Seat ;)

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, nickytheshaft said:

Azimov can you provide the link of the seal you bought? Is the seal a good improvement?

Hi @nickytheshaft,

I just remembered I bought from Aliexpress, but the delivery was fast. It took less than 7 days to arrive. 

Link : https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.html?spm=a2g0s.9042647.6.2.5b5e4c4daKwHNp&orderId=91483425644053&productId=32809286381

Product Spec : 4M Big D *2 

As I mentioned before, I can feel a comparatively better insulation between 100 to 130 km/h. After that, there is noise anyways.

BR

Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 20.36.23.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 20.36.01.png

Edited by Azimov

3 hours ago, Jaco2k said:

I have read somewhere (could it be in the Seat forum?) that one of the problems might be the door fitting to the car.

- Open the door

- GENTLY pull the hands towards you while pushing with the knee and GENTLY bend the top frame

This might need a decent amount of force, but what we are looking for is a few mm overall of bend.

The principle is that the door will sit more flush with the car and as such, seal better.

My old Octavia did that but my current Leon does not - there are other Leons that have the exact same problem as the Octavia.

To me, the solution makes sense and might be worth a shot - some guys in the thread said it is a "trick of the trade" and that it is the "official dealer solution" for that problem at Seat ;)

Not sure if I pretend too much silence but while my new VRS is 100% quieter than my previous Elegance, this seems really a smart, free trick!

Edited by Genoa1893

2 hours ago, Azimov said:

Hi @nickytheshaft,

I just remembered I bought from Aliexpress, but the delivery was fast. It took less than 7 days to arrive. 

Link : https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.html?spm=a2g0s.9042647.6.2.5b5e4c4daKwHNp&orderId=91483425644053&productId=32809286381

Product Spec : 4M Big D *2 

As I mentioned before, I can feel a comparatively better insulation between 100 to 130 km/h. After that, there is noise anyways.

BR

Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 20.36.23.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 20.36.01.png

thanks i'll check i out. I am in France so limite is 130 after that it is only for fun. When I am on the highway with my wife and son, I ride at 138 wich is 130 on gps.

15 hours ago, Jaco2k said:

- Open the door

Hi, 

yeah makes sense. Guess I will just need to get brave enough the attempt it. Maybe the sound issue just needs to be address from many angles, Sound dampening and absorption  of boot, floor, door and front foot wells by bulkhead and bonnet. On top of the door seal improvement. I’ve got the car for just over 3 years, so I’ll slowly try all measures . Just a shame we need to do it.

23 hours ago, Azimov said:

Hi @wellsy, 

Best Regards,

Azif

Hi azif, 

did you fit the d seal on the doors or frame of the car? Just been looking for the best location. 

10 minutes ago, wellsy1 said:

Hi azif, 

did you fit the d seal on the doors or frame of the car? Just been looking for the best location. 

Hi @wellsy1,

On the doors. IMG-0491.thumb.JPG.9605aa1c3e00746683c83d3746b15e4f.JPGIMG-0490.thumb.JPG.3b0a1c907d3c723745a35c9c20cefd9f.JPGPlease find below in the pictures:

1 hour ago, MarkyG82 said:

Hi @Azimov Did this affect the ability to open/close the door at all?  And did you stick it on with anything special or did it come with 3M backing?

Hi @Markyg

Literally no problem at all. I didn't use anything more than the standard 3m backing it came with. 

BR,

Azif

• 6 months later...

Hi , Long time no update in this matter .   i have been also experiencing a problem with wind noise coming from B-Pillar/ door seals at driving more than 110km/s (70mph).

I'm also looking at additional seals to be applied between door and door's frame.   

I have also heard that external mirrors have that share which generate such annoying noise / wind noise.   it's hard to believe since I clearly hear the wind noise coming from door seals.

This car would be very nice but this wind noise is not acceptable at the highway travel.  

If anyone got any solution , I would appriciated if you can share it with us.