performance increase after 2000 miles ?

Is there any logical reason why my 150 tdi feels a lot quicker now after passing a way point of 2000 miles ? (currently 2500)

Just been on a 1000 miles plus route fully loaded to the max from the netherlands and in the way home (with even more weight than outbound.. Beer and wine :-) the car feels so much more responsive with a firmer pull of torque . even to the point of spinning the wheels in the dry in 2nd when planting it??

Looking forward to driving it once fully unloaded !!

Edited by RickTT

Engine has loosened up I expect.

Also, fuel companies put in winter additives during cold snaps, maybe that has something to do with it or European diesel is better grade fuel :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Engine has loosened up I expect.

Also, fuel companies put in winter additives during cold snaps, maybe that has something to do with it or European diesel is better grade fuel :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Regarding fuel.. Filled up at 1euro 5cents at the cheapest place I found .

• Like 1

I seem to remember reading something similar about this on a much earlier post and the consensus seemed to be that it was due to the ECU deciding that the engine had been run in and therefore unleashes the engines proper potential. Could be complete tosh... but sounds feasible.

• Like 2

I had exactly the same with mine. Almost as though it's programmed into the ECU. Also mpg suddenly rose. Maybe they run rich when new and running in? I'm no expert so probably rubbish.

I'm on my 8th VAG 2.0Tdi now.

3 x VW Golf Mk5's, 2x140 & 1x170bhp.

2x Superb mk2's with 140bhp, and 2x Octavia VRS's with 184bhp.

Now I am on a 150bhp Superb 3 and you are right about the engine getting better in steps. With the golf's it was around the 5000 mark where they got remarkably better overnight. The GT 170 had two steps, one at around 2-2500 miles and the second at approximately 7000 miles.

The 2 Superb 2's at 3 & 7000ish kms and the VRS's at 3 & 7000ish kms.

I am impressed with the economy of this 150 TDi as both VRS's before it (driven just as casually) struggled to get anywhere near what this one does now.

I am disappointed with its lack of oomph though, but having experienced that feeling with every VAG 2.0 TDi I've owned (bar 1st, a petrol 1.4 Golf mk2, 380,790kms on the clock (when bought) & 1/2 a stable under the bonnet), I am longing its first ECU nose blow so to speak.

It's not uncommon for manufacturers to restrict engine output (via ECU mapping) for a little while from new anyway. I have seen 140mph on the speedo going down a hill on the autobahn so know the engine is producing full power. FYI, no I will not be trying that again anytime soon!! The car is too softly sprung for high speed and together with 19" wheels felt heavy & badly damped. My VRS on the other hand felt in control at it's top speed and I could have sat at it for 20 mins without breaking a sweat if conditions every allowed it.

It's the delivery which is most changed at these milestones. When my time comes, I hope it banishes the turbo lag which seems way too excessive for my liking. Compared to my last VRS (which was a right wee tart) it is tardy at best and annoying to boot.

As for fuel quality, I refuse to buy supermarket diesel as I have exerienced way more dpf regens when using it. Big brand basic fuel is good ennig with 4 tanks of posh Ultimate put through every other month to clean the lines & internals.

Edited by blahde2

Thanks all.

In regards to full power for top speed, it was fine up to around 125mph on the autobhan were permitted and still had more to give.

I've 4,500 km up on mine and performance is still disappointing.  I think that the DSG is partly responsible.  I was in a torque converter automatic Hyundai I10 yesterday which felt very responsive in comparison.  The 6 speed DSG in mine just feels woolly.  Sport mode just results in revs and noise but misses the torque curve completely.

There's been no step up in performance in mine.  It doesn't feel like a 150 bhp car at all.

And theres no hills in the Netherlands........ :no:

Oh yes there are.................

Ever been to Zuid Limburg?

The road from Epen to Vaals goes up & down hill, it even has hairpin bends............... 

Even Arnhem has hills steep enough to make the trolley-buses slow down.

As for trains, try the (preserved) steam railway from Kerkrade to Valkenburg via Simpleveld, it used to be hard work for the NS DEMUs & the DB Battery Railcars when it was still  

run by NS.

Cheers, DC. ( Admits to have spent much time in N.L. in the last century, visiting family & railfanning!)

And theres no hills in the Netherlands........ :no:

Oh yes there are.................

Ever been to Zuid Limburg?

The road from Epen to Vaals goes up & down hill, it even has hairpin bends............... 

Even Arnhem has hills steep enough to make the trolley-buses slow down.

As for trains, try the (preserved) steam railway from Kerkrade to Valkenburg via Simpleveld, it used to be hard work for the NS DEMUs & the DB Battery Railcars when it was still  

run by NS.

Cheers, DC. ( Admits to have spent much time in N.L. in the last century, visiting family & railfanning!)

Pictures of these hills please or there ain't any..............

Pictures of these hills please or there ain't any........... ..

Google "Miljoenenlijn" & after translating into English you might find evidence of hills........

I don't have any pix of the roads, but 'tis true, there are hills in Limburg, it's nice driving country, with easy access to Belgium & Germany.

It's where the Dutch go to practise hill-starts & changing-down on the move..................

DC

Better quality fuel abroad? Inadvertently bought the higher octane/cetane?

It was not better grade fuel to my knowlege, the garage only offered one type as mentioned above.

:)

I've often thought manufacturers had a "running in" program, but I think you just get used to the driving. I used to drive "on the continent " a lot years ago and fancied my car went better there. I wouldn't be surprised if we in the UK were being tucked up with low grade fuel

Curious reading this. Car passed 3k miles the other week and the MPG increased markedly almost overnight. Same roads, same driving style, same fuel (actually same filling station) same aircon settings.

Suddenly getting 3-4 mpg more for the same driving. From the "average since refill" but I do brim to brim checks each refill too.

Engines used to free up over time in the past as the bearing shells bedded in but manufacturing tolerances are so tight these days it rarely has much effect and certainly not over such a short time-scale