vRS TDI so far...

Welcome :-), another Blue vRS.

I've driven Audi S-Line's and find them much harder, as oy I was worried about ride comfort but it is acceptable when I'm keeping up with other non sporty cars on speed bumps.

I've been in sport for the last few days now and actually find it to be more ecomomical some how, feels nicer under the right foot and the fake engine noise isn't too bad unless you give it the beans.

The NAV instructions and telephone quality are quite good and I like the way the car warns me of any traffic problems even when I haven't got a route on the SAT NAV.

• Like 1

Welcome :-), another Blue vRS.

I've driven Audi S-Line's and find them much harder, as oy I was worried about ride comfort but it is acceptable when I'm keeping up with other non sporty cars on speed bumps.

I've been in sport for the last few days now and actually find it to be more ecomomical some how, feels nicer under the right foot and the fake engine noise isn't too bad unless you give it the beans.

The NAV instructions and telephone quality are quite good and I like the way the car warns me of any traffic problems even when I haven't got a route on the SAT NAV.

Cheers for the welcome - love the racing blue :)

I had an S Line A4 avant (an 09 plate for a year) and feel the Skoda is a nicer ride, although obviously interior isn't up there!

Yes, that fake engine noise is only really noticeable when you've got a lead foot - making me wonder if I've been giving it too much as I can hear the notes in my head now!!!

1 question - did you notice any extra travel on the accelerator when your foot is fully down - found it today, almost weighted, an extra couple of inches down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

One question for anyone - have you noticed any extra travel on the accelerator when your foot is fully down - found it today, almost weighted, say an extra couple of inches down?

Haven't experienced this in a car before that I can remember.

Yes, that fake engine noise is only really noticeable when you've got a lead foot - making me wonder if I've been giving it too much as I can hear the notes in my head now!!!

1 question - did you notice any extra travel on the accelerator when your foot is fully down - found it today, almost weighted, an extra couple of inches down?

The fake engine noise can be turned off - I'll be happy to do it for you using VCDS (have done my own). That noise meant I spent most of my time in 'Individual', with everything set to Sport apart from the sound generator. I am in Dorset (Wareham area) most Tuesdays, so if our calendars align I'll happily tweak that bit for you.

With regards the extra pedal travel - my MY16 vRS TDI manual has exactly the same, but it appears to make no difference to acceleration. I think it's simply a 'parts bin' component, and is used on the auto for kick down but serves no purpose on the manual.

• Like 3

The fake engine noise can be turned off - I'll be happy to do it for you using VCDS (have done my own). That noise meant I spent most of my time in 'Individual', with everything set to Sport apart from the sound generator. I am in Dorset (Wareham area) most Tuesdays, so if our calendars align I'll happily tweak that bit for you.

With regards the extra pedal travel - my MY16 vRS TDI manual has exactly the same, but it appears to make no difference to acceleration. I think it's simply a 'parts bin' component, and is used on the auto for kick down but serves no purpose on the manual.

I think there's something about Eco mode only giving you a certain % of throttle input (80%) unless you use the bottom part of the pedal travel - ir in an emergancy situation where you'd nail your foot to the floor.

Personally I suspect you're right tho - parts sharing with the auto.

Wondered if I'd found an extra few HP with that extra travel [emoji6]!

I've done the same on individual, unfortunately can't entertain VCDS as its a company car. Really nice in Wareham - round that way a fair bit on my travels.

So after a poor nights sleep from my daughter, I was wide awake and thought a drive would do me some good.

First time in the pitch black with the Xenons and my word they were superb. They did the whole dip and criss cross on start up and fully lit the whole road twice over on main beam. Much better than the unit in my Wife's 09 Mazda 3 Sport and much better than the Xenon units I had in my 12 plate Seat Ibiza FR/09 A4 avant. Needless to say, they easily outshone (pardon the pun) the old Passats halogens!

9e711f8f5965e78d0def985d1ac51844.jpg

Saw a previous post questioning their effectiveness, not sure what else is expected from them if I'm honest as they are that good IMO?

7005d0dcf56e88acb267efe965b6dcb7.jpg

Edited by ToffeeMRD

I find the high beam lacking on the Xenons. Its ok, but nothing special.

Interesting point - what extra do you think they need and is this in comparison to other Xenon units?

Haven't driven a car with LED, but assuming they are another step on from Xenons

Interesting point - what extra do you think they need and is this in comparison to other Xenon units?

Haven't driven a car with LED, but assuming they are another step on from Xenons

They need more light. The beam should have had a longer reach. Ive driven cars with better halogen highbeams. I dont think they are bad, just very mediocre.

I havent tried LEDs, but my Mother in law has it on her xc90. She says they good, but freezes over too easily in the winter.

• Like 2

So an update after some fiddling with the Canton system. I went to the canton equaliser section of the menu and selected individual profile. After adjusting the treble, mid and bass, the sound is much clearer and better now - much clearer than the old Passat unit. Increased the subwoofer too which has helped. I'm sure the sound will improve too over time having read some other threads on it.

It poured down last night here and I got my first experience of the door dripping I've read so much about!

40b8b506ce2889edc7e0b2a1858e983a.jpg

Image shows the back seat - nothing major and not something I'm going to overly worry about. Carry kitchen towel in the act, so that'll deal with it.

MPG wise, I'm 650 miles in and still around 5-10 down on my old Passat. Think I'll take that and assuming it'll improve as the car is run in - the torque temptation may put pay to that though [emoji13]

good post and good to hear you are getting on ok

i'm waiting for a quartz grey vRS estate (diesel DSG) also a company car and good to know how it compares with other cars....i've come out of an Audi A4 as they are just tooooo expensive when you start looking at extras

hopefully the vRS will be around the start of July

• Like 1

good post and good to hear you are getting on ok

i'm waiting for a quartz grey vRS estate (diesel DSG) also a company car and good to know how it compares with other cars....i've come out of an Audi A4 as they are just tooooo expensive when you start looking at extras

hopefully the vRS will be around the start of July

Cheers. Had an A4 in 2010, the interior was (even at that age) superior in the A4, but the ride for me is better and standard seats far more comfortable in the Skoda.

The price, standard spec and extras were one of the reasons I went for it on my company car list. Luckily ticked most boxes and had no rejections from my colony's, except for a heated windscreen (think replacement cost was why). Won't lie that the power was the main reason though!

• Like 2

Barely two weeks in and a very annoying development in that someone has dinged the passenger door. [emoji35]

I'm sure it was Tesco in Yeovil. The spaces there are tight - didn't have any far away or on the edge of a row. Thankfully there doesn't seem to be any paint damage - getting someone out to repair it.

7caed1ff9d4939278abc9d3e2bea15a8.jpg

He said it would have to be pulled out due to it being on the edge of the door (typically where there is nowhere for him to get in behind and tap it out), hopefully it'll look much better once he's finished as I'm conscious of it every time I see the car!

Edited by ToffeeMRD

Barely two weeks in and a very annoying development in that someone has dinged the passenger door. [emoji35]

I'm sure it was Tesco in Yeovil. The spaces there are tight - didn't have any far away or on the edge of a row. Thankfully there doesn't seem to be any paint damage - getting someone out to repair it.

7caed1ff9d4939278abc9d3e2bea15a8.jpg

He said it would have to be pulled out due to it being on the edge of the door (typically where there is nowhere for him to get in behind and tap it out), hopefully it'll look much better once he's finished as I'm conscious of it every time I see the car!

Mindless **** . Does wind me up, people have no respect for others property these days  :dull:

• Like 2

Mindless **** . Does wind me up, people have no respect for others property these days :dull:

Yep, couldn't agree more. I've always used my hand around the door when opening in a tight space so the only thing that touches their door is my fingers! Some people have no respect or common sense.

Edited by ToffeeMRD
  • Like 1

Yep, couldn't agree more. I've always used my hand around the door when opening in a tight space so the only thing that touches their door is my fingers! Some people have no respect or common sense.

I think to some people a car is simply a tool. Just like I wouldn't think twice about a scratch on a spanner they just see the odd dink as a cost of motoring. Cars are a method of transport and nothing else, especially now they can have a new one on pcp rather than actually having to save up hard earned cash.

I know a few of these types and they think I'm nuts to be buying "expensive" cars and looked at me funny when I complain about people in car parks.

They also earn about half as much again as me or more and generally say things like "why do you NEED a fast car when you can only do 70"

Different state of mind. Makes me yearn for my dads old landrover - we genuinely didn't care if that got scraped as it just made it look better and you also got the satisfaction with knowing unless it was a lorry you'd come off better.

• Like 2

I think to some people a car is simply a tool. Just like I wouldn't think twice about a scratch on a spanner they just see the odd dink as a cost of motoring. Cars are a method of transport and nothing else, especially now they can have a new one on pcp rather than actually having to save up hard earned cash.

I know a few of these types and they think I'm nuts to be buying "expensive" cars and looked at me funny when I complain about people in car parks.

They also earn about half as much again as me or more and generally say things like "why do you NEED a fast car when you can only do 70"

Different state of mind. Makes me yearn for my dads old landrover - we genuinely didn't care if that got scraped as it just made it look better and you also got the satisfaction with knowing unless it was a lorry you'd come off better.

Even though this is a company car, I treat it like my own. Have met plenty of co car owners though with the attitude of "I'm not paying so why should I care"

• Like 1

So a top man came out today (Hitman) and manipulated the ding in the door (down through the rear window) rather than using glue.

Here's the before

5f97625f94619f198d2f405a47788a6d.jpg

Here's the after

38e276e209461b199c1de9f70f4e9f20.jpg

Can't notice it at all as a ding, at the worst angle with light it looks like a small paint blemish. Really pleased and will be parking in the furthest most part of a car park in future.

• Like 1

Should have listed earlier. This work took less than an hour and the charge was £60 inc. VAT. Was very happy with that, especially with the end result.

So a top man came out today (Hitman) and manipulated the ding in the door (down through the rear window) rather than using glue.

Here's the before

5f97625f94619f198d2f405a47788a6d.jpg

Here's the after

38e276e209461b199c1de9f70f4e9f20.jpg

• Like 2