Soon to be new Superb owner... help me decide!

Hi Chaps!

New to this Forum (HI!) and currently a SEAT Leon 1.4tsi Driver, this car goes back this year and I need to order a new one around September time.

I really fancy something bigger this time and I've fallen for the Superb's charms, what I have decided so far is it will be and SE-L Exec model.....(that's really all I have)

Im torn between the 1.4 again as its been so good in the Leon, or maybe a diesel, on my scheme the 1.4DSG will cost £1800 up front, the 150 Derv is £1900 and £2000 for the 190 Derv...

I dont do loads of miles but then my car will be fully maintained so DPF issues ect wont be of concern. anyone had experiences of driving both? I can only find a Diesel close to me to test drive.

i would consider a Manual if it was petrol but it would have to be a DSG if I went diesel...

I have many more questions to ask but this will get us started!

Any experiences welcomed!

Thank you 

• Like 1

^^ Agree with above. Low mileage = petrol coupled with a DSG  :thumbup:

Hello, welcome

For me I would stick with the engine you know.

No point in going diesel if you do low mileage

Thanks Guys, 

I am planning a few jaunts around Europe (if we still allowed in that is) in the new motor so the Diesel may come into its own. I'm concerned about how the extra weight is going to effect the engine, I know its very capable in the Leon but that only weighs 1100KGs ish....

If you decide on a diesel then go for the 150. No AdBlue faffing and still the power and economy you're looking for.

i currently have the 1.4 act with DSG and its fine. around town or on a motorway its got enough punch but still is a relaxing cruiser.

I came from a mk2 octavia vrs 170 tdi and it feels as quick as it through the gears

everybody who has been out in my car cannot believe its only a 1.4

I have the diesel 150 se-l exec estate and the engine and performance are great.

Traveling around fully loaded. on motorways and A roads returning nearly 50mpg

The performance has improved so much since hitting the 2000 mile mark. Mentioned in another thread on here. I can even get it wheel spinning in 2nd gear.

We also have a 1.4tsi Leon and that also is a good engine. You are going to have a hard decision. Good luck!!

Thank you for all your replies, doesn't appear to be a great deal between them in terms of performance, but diesel does appear to edge it in terms or economy.

One thing I have noticed is that the 1.4 and the 1.6tdi have 7-speed DSG where all other engines have 6-Speed?? Anyone explain this? Seems peculiar to me...

One thing I have noticed is that the 1.4 and the 1.6tdi have 7-speed DSG where all other engines have 6-Speed?? Anyone explain this? Seems peculiar to me...

Not as mad as you think. More torque = less gears required, and as the smaller engines provide less of the twist'ies they get an extra gear. Tis only fair for the economy comparison.

The 6 speed was VAGs first DSG, tho this one will be a development of that original masterpiece of thinking. Wet clutch also less likely to overheat during traffic or hauling heavy loads on hills from a standstill.

If I could I'd have had DSG with my 150 TDI but as it would have taken another wad of cash outta my skinny piggy bank I couldn't justify it. Plus, SWMBO does not like autos! (That's the real reason I suspect......)

Edited by blahde2

Not as mad as you think. More torque = less gears required, and as the smaller engines provide less of the twist'ies they get an extra gear. Tis only fair for the economy comparison.

Its more like that the 7speed cant handle the torque of bigger engines. So far only Vw and Audi gets a 7speed (stronger box) on bigger engines.

On the Octy for example, the Fwd 1.8tsi gets the 7speed, while the 4x4 1.8tsi has the 6speed Dsg because of bigger torque (250nm vs 280NM).

Its more like that the 7speed cant handle the torque of bigger engines. So far only Vw and Audi gets a 7speed (stronger box) on bigger engines.

On the Octy for example, the Fwd 1.8tsi gets the 7speed, while the 4x4 1.8tsi has the 6speed Dsg because of bigger torque (250nm vs 280NM).

Agreed, I assumed the OP got the "more torque" = bigger more powerful engine, over the smaller displacement 1.6tdi/1.4tsi.

7 speed DSG on the Audi 3.0ltr + TDi's and big Porsche's etc. I'll never own any of them so not 100% on which bigger TDi engines get the 7 speed DSG. I can dream though

Edited by blahde2

I think this is where the confusion started, I've seen "premium" models with a 7spd DSG along with these entry level engine's but not the units in between, but it's clear that there is more than one varient of 7spd DSG.

I dunno it's all so complex, I remember the days when you would wish for a car that had 5 gears!

Edited by Fraczish

• Administrators

Test drove the new superb, a 1.4 and a diesel, both DSG.

Neither felt alien, I'd be happy with either, both overtook fine. Petrol uses the range, diesel the torque. The DCC helped a little to improve the feel of the car on turns. It's not a hot hatch afterall ;)

DO try to test a 1.4, I know it's a big car for a 'small' engine, but it copes fine. Based on a 2hour drive over scotland's A roads.

If doing urban or frequent congested m-way then dsg will help. If less than 20k then petrol gets my vote as a slightly nicer 'driver' experience.

If carrying lots of weight, be that work kit or kids and tat, then the diesel might be a better fit.

Test drove the new superb, a 1.4 and a diesel, both DSG.

Neither felt alien, I'd be happy with either, both overtook fine. Petrol uses the range, diesel the torque. The DCC helped a little to improve the feel of the car on turns. It's not a hot hatch afterall ;)

DO try to test a 1.4, I know it's a big car for a 'small' engine, but it copes fine. Based on a 2hour drive over scotland's A roads.

If doing urban or frequent congested m-way then dsg will help. If less than 20k then petrol gets my vote as a slightly nicer 'driver' experience.

If carrying lots of weight, be that work kit or kids and tat, then the diesel might be a better fit.

That's excellent information, good to hear from someone who's experienced both, the Petrol is sounding like the front runner, just have to track one down now!

I test drove the 150 manual and 190 DSG, ended up with 150 engine in another Yeti but hats another story. I prefers the 6 speed manual over the DSG and there was very little in it performance wise between the 150 and 190 but the 150 is more economical.

For me I'd go for the 150 manual, infact I am once out other Yeti is due to be replaced later this year.

If I could I'd have had DSG with my 150 TDI but as it would have taken another wad of cash outta my skinny piggy bank I couldn't justify it. Plus, SWMBO does not like autos! (That's the real reason I suspect......)

+1

I do feel like I'll be missing out a bit when my manual 150 L&K arrives but I couldn't justify the extra money. I'd set the budget before I even started looking and ended up going a teensy bit over to take the luxury of the ventilated seats, but the DSG was adding too much extra on per month.

I've promised myself next time... :)

+1

I do feel like I'll be missing out a bit when my manual 150 L&K arrives but I couldn't justify the extra money. I'd set the budget before I even started looking and ended up going a teensy bit over to take the luxury of the ventilated seats, but the DSG was adding too much extra on per month.

I've promised myself next time... :)

The DSG is £300 extra on off payment to me. So it's got to be worth it, which brings me on nicely to another question...

What Options are a must spec? I think im happy with the Pegasus 18's, I'd love the park assist, plus it adds front sensors (cant beleive they arnt standard) have heard people recommend the sign recognition? Is this to add some coding goodness at a later date?

Edited by Fraczish

About the options, I am still waiting for my car, so this will be based on my wishes. But I am sure most others will agree.

Anyway, ACC is nice to have. Also blind spot assist could be helpful. The rest are mostly comfort addons, more experienced users will be more helpful :)

TSR is recommended because when you get it, you also get the camera, which helps you get free lane assist.

If you start adding lots of options, check that getting an L&K isn't better value than the SE L. Mine is still on order, so as above, these are just my opinions...

TSR - well worth the £85 as you get the camera on the front and then Lane Assist can be coded through VCDS by a friendly member on here.

Ventilated seats - I thought they were worth the extra, but they're even more expensive on the SE L trim.

Sun blinds - decided they were worth it as the little girl in the back is often bothered by the sun and aftermarket ones are rubbish/damage the interior.

Spare wheel - must have for me, I tank repair kits are an absolute p*** take.

Heated wind screen - sadly hearing reports it's not very good but I'm sick to death of scraping ice off it and trying to demist it. About the only thing I miss from the Ford I had before my Octy 2 so I felt it was a no brainer.

Sunroof - I didn't spec it but would have, just the cost was prohibitive for me. I think it looks brilliant personally.

Rear view camera - again, not for me, but lots of people on here think its great and if money was no object I'd have chosen it.

Progress....

Skoda responded to my test drive request and it's booked in for Weds at 10am- Score!!

Only Superb they have... 150 Diesel Manual- Ruled Offside!

Edited by Fraczish