Power steering appears to go heavy on very slow speeds

Recently acquired Fabia Comfort 2001 plate with just 19k miles on the clock, appears to exhibit heavy steering (as if there were no power steering) at very slow speeds and is particularly noticable when parking or manourvering the car

At normal motoring speeds the power steering seems OK

Any indications as to the cause and remedies would be appreciated

PS:  I am very impressed with the build quality of the Fabia - but in view of the above I do hope that I have not bought a "pup" !

Lodestone

Thanks

The battery is a new Halfords , and I have just fitted  4 new Continental Tyres  185/60R 14 CO5 82H

The previous tyres (same size) were Chinese imports which I promptly took off due stopping/safety reasons

I have not checked the headlights scenario - but will do so

Lodestone

Recently acquired Fabia Comfort 2001 plate with just 19k miles on the clock, appears to exhibit heavy steering (as if there were no power steering) at very slow speeds and is particularly noticable when parking or manourvering the car

At normal motoring speeds the power steering seems OK

Any indications as to the cause and remedies would be appreciated

PS:  I am very impressed with the build quality of the Fabia - but in view of the above I do hope that I have not bought a "pup" !

Lodestone

I had exactly the same problem and all mine was very low on fluid,stupid place to put it under the battery tray which must be removed to top up.

The battery is at the front RH side of the engine bay

There is a tray on top with electrical cables

Thee appears to be a cylinder underneath it with a opening nut on top

Is this the right one

If requires topping up - what fluid should be used ?

Lodestone

The battery is at the front RH side of the engine bay

There is a tray on top with electrical cables

Thee appears to be a cylinder underneath it with a opening nut on top

Is this the right one

If requires topping up - what fluid should be used ?

Lodestone

Sounds like you're describing the clutch slave cylinder there.

As Wino says, the one you want is a green plastic lid that pokes through the inner wing. Most models require the battery and tray to be removed for access.

• Like 1

View from the top:

d55822fcd4fabcced87af620727af562.png

Dipstick reading:

e28d0e69b336a8203ba41c02c7bb83bd.png

Later edit:

The total capacity is 0.8L of CHF-11S/202 fluid.

Check the hydraulic oil level with the dipstick of the screwed lid of the engine pump aggregate reservoir. 

Do not refer to the „MAX“ and „MIN“ markings on the reservoir to check the hydraulic oil level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Alexandru
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 7/4/2016 at 17:45, Wino said:

Green lid? That's the one. Find out if it's low on fluid before you worry about the type.  Can be stiff to loosen if it's never been off before.

On 7/1/2016 at 20:35, Lodestone said:

Thanks

The battery is a new Halfords , and I have just fitted  4 new Continental Tyres  185/60R 14 CO5 82H

The previous tyres (same size) were Chinese imports which I promptly took off due stopping/safety reasons

I have not checked the headlights scenario - but will do so

Lodestone

Hi there, 

Spurred on from great advice from this forum - I thought I might make my next job to solve the power steering issue with mine, exactly as you describe. I took it to a garage to get a wheel bearing changed recently and asked them to have a look - but not fix because of costs! They said ECU reported low power to the steering. 

My first thought was maybe to change the battery - but as I can see, your batter was new at the time.

Was wondering how you got on? I guess if the fluid is under the battery, it could be low : )