Rear shocks

I've had an advisory on the mot about the rear shocks. Can anyone recommend some decent shocks? I tend to have a bit of weight in the back carrying plumbing tools and other bits about. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Get new bump stops for them too. They always fall to bits.

Do you not think they not come with the shockers? No worries if not, ill just get some as well. They arent urgent, just advisory.

Get a pair of Bilstein B4's off the bay, they're cheap and better than original, they are also incredibly easy to replace.

They seem decent enough. God there's some cheap **** on when you just search rear shocks!

• Like 1

Do you not think they not come with the shockers? No worries if not, ill just get some as well. They arent urgent, just advisory.

Unfortunately they don't. I fitted new shockers to mine last year and there were no bump stops with them.

• Like 1

£79 for a pair of genuine from TPS. Cheaper and much better than eurocarparts thats for sure. As everyone else is saying new bumpstops as well.

Probably time to make the usual comment:- TPS usually tell DIYers to "bog off tight wads" - lucky you if you can buy from them if you are not trade.

• Like 2

Probably time to make the usual comment:- TPS usually tell DIYers to "bog off tight wads" - lucky you if you can buy from them if you are not trade.

I use TPS at Stockton, great bunch of guys and gals. Always got plenty of time for walk in's and very helpful and knowledgeable Will even order stuff in over the phone. I'm not trade but the invoice is made out to Trade Counter Sales.

I use TPS at Stockton, great bunch of guys and gals. Always got plenty of time for walk in's and very helpful and knowledgeable Will even order stuff in over the phone. I'm not trade but the invoice is made out to Trade Counter Sales.

I can only say that I'm jealous, I've got a VW, Audi and SEAT to look after so using them would save faffing about!

KYB, used to be known as Kayaba, make decent quality shocks and forks for motorcycles, probably as good or better than Bilstein B4 at that price point, fronts are a lot more expensive so if you're buying a full set I'd still get Billys.

I have B4's on my 1.4 with Eibach springs and they're frankly excellent value, I have B6's on my 2.0 also with Eibach springs and they're fantastic but a lot more money.

KYB, used to be known as Kayaba, make decent quality shocks and forks for motorcycles, probably as good or better than Bilstein B4 at that price point, fronts are a lot more expensive so if you're buying a full set I'd still get Billys.

I have B4's on my 1.4 with Eibach springs and they're frankly excellent value, I have B6's on my 2.0 also with Eibach springs and they're fantastic but a lot more money.

IIRC, KYB are OEM replacements. Last year, on 13th of October I paid £165 for a full set (front and rear) of KYB Excel G. I don't find them that expensive. 

Genuine Skoda OEM is £39 per side. Why bother with aftermarket when its only a couple of quid difference!

Aren't those made by Sachs ? 
Edited by Alexandru

I think I'll go with the KYB's. I'll get myself some after next payday. Thanks for all your help guys, it's much appreciated. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah but VAG wont be the manufacturer,they are just labeled /packaged as VAG :)

ie Sachs - and their name will be on them as well as VAG

Edit:- maybe these ones are not Sachs!

Edited by rum4mo

IIRC, KYB are OEM replacements. Last year, on 13th of October I paid £165 for a full set (front and rear) of KYB Excel G. I don't find them that expensive. 

Aren't those made by Sachs ? 

My furby still have all original shocks- 213k km / 9 years- still quite ok. OEM were made by Monroe.

Edited by indars

I've went with KYB Excel-G front and rear. As said before, bump stoppers must be purchased as well. 

True.

But OEM rear bump stops are real crap; mine lasted 2 years / 64k km- and then they dissolved and protecting cap fell-off.

Both were replaced under warranty.

After exactly 2 years- the same story; but then car was out of warranty and I installed couple of Boge/Sachs bump stops with prot.caps.

Works perfect for more than 4 years already- but rubber isn't much harder than OEM rubber. The same yellow/pink colour...

My furby still have all original shocks- 213k km / 9 years- still quite ok. OEM were made by Boge.

Boge and Sachs are both ZF brands names probably for the same product!

Edit:- bump stops, now that is strange material that VAG use, starts off white if it has been kept out of daylight, then changes quickly to a horrible colour, gets cut through by virtue of how the pipe cover fits to it and because it is full of air bubbles then eventually falls apart!

Edited by rum4mo

Boge and Sachs are both ZF brands names probably for the same product!

Edit:- bump stops, now that is strange material that VAG use, starts off white if it has been kept out of daylight, then changes quickly to a horrible colour, gets cut through by virtue of how the pipe cover fits to it and because it is full of air bubbles then eventually falls apart!

Stupid me... shocks are Monroe, not Boge! :-) sorry, guys...

But about OEM bumps stops- 110% true- they're $hit.