Average Speed Cameras

Today heading back to the dealership to get my handbrake cable sorted I had to travel through a set of speed camera.

Now I know that it's time/distance=speed. What of those that speed through, ie at 60mph the whole way? Do these things send tickets out to drivers? Anytime I go through these I stick to the proscribed speed limit (good guy) but I see people doing well over?

Anyone with good info on this?

They send out NIPS.  

Not worth the gamble is it with £100 fine and 3 points & an Insurance Increase?

The new A77 Average Speed Cameras went live on the 27th June, or did they, the signs say they did.

The M74 ones have people exceeding the posted speed daily, and some get NIPS.

Todays standstill has few speeding.

Last week the question was being asked if the A90 Average Cameras were on or not.

They send out NIPS.

Not worth the gamble is it with £100 fine and 3 points & an Insurance Increase?

The new A77 Average Speed Cameras went live on the 27th June, or did they, the signs say they did.

The M74 ones have people exceeding the posted speed daily, and some get NIPS.

Todays standstill has few speeding.

Last week the question was being asked if the A90 Average Cameras were on or not.

Yeah I was M8 eastbound, seems there is always a few just bombing it down the road. I always try to keep it just below 50, without cruise control though it's a tad hard.

Excuse my ignorance but what is a 'NIPS' I assume it's a ticket of some sort?

Notice of Intended Prosecution

Some people live locally and they know they'll be turning off before the next camera, it can't calculate an average speed with one viewing so they can go as fast as they like.

Also they're unlikely to be set exactly at the stated limit, Some people will gamble on how much tolerance they have to go over.

I just stick the cruise on for these, I'll sometimes use the Sat nav speedo to give me an extra couple of mph

• Like 2

Some people live locally and they know they'll be turning off before the next camera, it can't calculate an average speed with one viewing so they can go as fast as they like.

Also they're unlikely to be set exactly at the stated limit, Some people will gamble on how much tolerance they have to go over.

I just stick the cruise on for these, I'll sometimes use the Sat nav speedo to give me an extra couple of mph

Thanks Aspman, yeah I hope that is the case, would hate to be tugged for an average of 55 for instance. Like I said it's hard with no cruise control

Notice of intended prosecution.

Offer of a Fixed Penalty or maybe you are going to be reported to the Procurator Fiscal, Speed Dependent.

Some people speed as they come on after a camera or are leaving before one.

Look at Royal Mail Vans, Buses, Taxis etc that sometimes know which cameras are on or not because they drive the route daily maybe many times a day, or think they know which are on.

On the A9 some Van drivers / Light Commercial & HGV's were surprised to find the broke the speed limit every day because the Average Cameras know the Class of Vehicle and the Speed Limits for them.

(Pilot speed limit on the A9 for HGV's.)

DOH, 

slow fingers, heavy throttle foot....

Edited by GoneOffSKi

So they just switch caneras on and off when they need some cash haha. Typical roads dept. Saying that, if you're speeding while there is average speed cameras then you deserve the fine. Like I've said before, I can only hope there is a tolerance.

No.

They fail to maintain sometimes, the installation is faulty, even the power source not yet to a camera and the system is said to be live.

You can hope on tolerances and they might be 10%, but do not count on it in Scotland.

There was a new policy announced by Police Scotland for zero tolerances with Police Officers dealing with speeders, 

and then Warnings.

I have had a Fine & Points for 75mph through a 70mph stretch covered by Average Cameras,.

While you're on the topic, the A9 is the most boring road I have driven on.

Drove nearly all of it the other week and found it so mentally draining to keep to the limit, the amount of concentration required was immense. Then you come to overtake someone who is doing 5 or 6mph below the limit and you end up breaking the limit to get past.

I'm sure the average speed checks will reduce fatalities and all but I do wonder how much time drivers will spend staring at there speedos.  

I think to place them for such a long uninterrupted stretch is slightly unnecessary and just painful.

Couldn't we have breaks where there are normal speed cameras instead of average?

Rant over!

• Like 4

Before the Average Cameras went in there were fixed cameras, and fatalities either side of them.

The road improvements are coming Perth Inverness decades late.

Much of the Goods WAgons should be on the Rail LIne which should have had the upgrades.

The 23 miles Perth to Keir Roundabout average Speed Cameras are just terrible and soul destroying if trying to do 

70mph while the road captains inhabit the outside lane and HGV's Elephant race.

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 1

While you're on the topic, the A9 is the most boring road I have driven on.

Drove nearly all of it the other week and found it so mentally draining to keep to the limit, the amount of concentration required was immense. Then you come to overtake someone who is doing 5 or 6mph below the limit and you end up breaking the limit to get past.

I'm sure the average speed checks will reduce fatalities and all but I do wonder how much time drivers will spend staring at there speedos.  

I think to place them for such a long uninterrupted stretch is slightly unnecessary and just painful.

Couldn't we have breaks where there are normal speed cameras instead of average?

Rant over!

A9 is a miserable road, but the A90 To Aberdeen is even worse and it doesn't have average speed cameras.

I hate driving that road.

• Like 4

As much as i drive it all the time i still got a £60 & 3 points at Finavon past the John Deere Tractors, 

80 in the outside lane.

Just brain was disengaged and mouth in full operation.

Near crashed just before Brechin heading south one dark late night, some smart ar53's were at the camera with a Camera Flash.

I knew i was at 70mph and i really got a surprise.

Seen them doing it since to others.

• Like 1

Exactly what I do. In a 50, around 52/53 on the cars cruise sees GPS speed at around 49/50 and means I'm going past most cars in the avg speed check areas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know how true this is but somebody who worked for the highways agency told me that for road works where there are 50mph average speed cameras the tolerance is 57mph, or it was in the part that he was involved in, the reason being that heavy lorries can maintain a bit more momentum when having to go up inclines.

Always set the cruise control to about 5mph over the limit as i know my speedo reads 3/4 mph high anyway and its not worth the risk of going over the limit for the extra time you would save.

steven2016, which bit of the M8 Eastbound are you talking about,

is it the Road Works 50 MPH section ?

You are risking it for a biscuit there, as many are.

http://sundaypost.com/inside-the-sunday-edition/drivers-in-scotland-hammered-by-speed-camera-fines

The very spot GoneOffSki, was a few miles over today, but was also slowing down to 40 to compensate...hopefully I'm fine

• Like 2

As much as i drive it all the time i still got a £60 & 3 points at Finavon past the John Deere Tractors, 

80 in the outside lane.

Just brain was disengaged and mouth in full operation.

My Dad got nailed by the same camera. Overtaking a lorry. Didn't spot the camera till he was past it.

No.

They fail to maintain sometimes, the installation is faulty, even the power source not yet to a camera and the system is said to be live.

You can hope on tolerances and they might be 10%, but do not count on it in Scotland.

There was a new policy announced by Police Scotland for zero tolerances with Police Officers dealing with speeders, 

and then Warnings.

I have had a Fine & Points for 75mph through a 70mph stretch covered by Average Cameras,.

does the 10% + 2?   not apply any more ?

does the 10% + 2?   not apply any more ?

That's guidelines not law. If they wanted to the police could stop you at 1mph over the speed limit and you would have to prove that the recording device was in error.

I got done for 61mph on the M1 last year. Also looking into retrofitting cruise to my mk1 Fabia. Storks are available on eBay. Unsure of the process of fitting though.