vRS Xenons - questions

yes i saw those and assumed that was the case, however that not going to help as the main beam is near perfect its just dipped is too low. i believe dipped is created by the lowering of a shutter and it is falling too far

I find mine too low on dipped also. You can from what I've read put the xenons into learn mode in vcds, adjust the hex bolt on the headlight and then the car knows where to default back too after its dance when you first start. I've never done it but if someone can confirm then I would have a go :) It has to be done on a flat surface also.

From memory, I seem to recall reading that it's a mistake to adjust these without VCDS.  Blowed if I can find where I read it though.

Gaz

• Like 1

Be careful if attempting to adjust them without VCDS.

I thought the lights had to be put into 'learn mode' before making any manual adjustments?

• Like 1

From memory, I seem to recall reading that it's a mistake to adjust these without VCDS.  Blowed if I can find where I read it though.

Gaz

** Off Topic **   Hows the learn  " Bosnian in a week "  course coming on Gary 

** Back on Topic **

• Like 1

On all VAG with xenon at all time (that I know) you have to use VCDS or similar for the adjustment to work.

Look at your headlamp or the surroundings and you will find a sticker or something that tells you in % how low your dipped beam should be.

Then its easy to check the adjustment. Park the car on a flat surface 10 meters from a wall and measure the height of the light.

I did an experiment with height adjustment on an Octavia in the workshop today.

Headlights all working ok.

Put it on the mot beam setter, level was legal but low. Adjusted manually without vcds or in learn mode, to the upper end of the legal height. Turned it off and locked it up, open and restart, Xenons did the self test and level....and they went back to the level I had just set! Result.

I think that the Xenons need to be in learn mode via vcds to calibrate them after the whole lamp is removed. A simple height adjustment on a calibrated system shouldn't cause an issue. I can't find reference anywhere to suggest otherwise, there's no warnings on the lamps, how would an mot station know not to touch them?

• Like 1

Put it on the mot beam setter, level was legal but low. Adjusted manually without vcds or in learn mode, to the upper end of the legal height. Turned it off and locked it up, open and restart, Xenons did the self test and level....and they went back to the level I had just set! Result.

I think that the Xenons need to be in learn mode via vcds to calibrate them after the whole lamp is removed. A simple height adjustment on a calibrated system shouldn't cause an issue. I can't find reference anywhere to suggest otherwise, there's no warnings on the lamps, how would an mot station know not to touch them?

how does that effect the main beam? or was main beam unaffected?

my main beam is just about perfect - its just the dipped that is too low

Didn't check main.

Main is operated by dropping a shutter allowing a flood beam, when the shutter is up it cuts off the top of the beam and gives dip.

I don't think you would notice a difference of the main

Can you post a pic of which point on the light is used to do the adjustment? I can see a couple of adjustment points, and want to know the one that does the height.