Crazy coolant loss on 1.6 tdi (15)

• 1 year later...
On 02/09/2016 at 12:24, Gladnika said:

Hi Cooza,

I really know what you feeling...this is a big nightmare!

I will put one update on which state I am now:

As I told you in my last updates, we also changed a lot of parts, and didn't solve the problem.

My service told me that the problem part of my problem was in the head garnish of the cylinders head, so we changed it, but the car still loosing coolant.

Now we put a color reactor in the liquid and made again a pressure tests.

And we saw that there are spots occurred from the coolant liquid on the 1st and 2nd cylinder from the inter cooler(Intake man: 04l129766n).

When we remove the inter cooler we saw a lot of spots from color reactor, so this part is broken and it full with holes, from where the liquid is loosing.

Therefore now we will replace this part for sure: 04l129766n.

And will let you know if this fixed the problem :)

Br,

Vlad

Well  having done some reasrch on this, all is notbwhat it seems....I own a 2013 Octavia vrs 2.0 tdi. Bought with 60k had it 3 years. No problem and then in March this year it started losing coolant, so at 95k I replaced the cambelt kit and water pump with genuine parts. Why skoda have decided to move the schedule from 80k to 135k when my water pump was leaking at 95k. The car still continued to loose coolant, pressure testing showed that the radiator had a hole in it, there was a stone trapped between the 2 radiators and rubbed through the engine radiator. Replaced with a valeo radiator which is a direct replacement from the original and all seemed well......so now it sporadically looses coolant but not in a  regular way.  Pressure tested the coolant system when hot and it looses 2 psi in 2 hours so obviously still has a leak. My next step is to bypass the charge cooler pipes and then pressure test again which will hopefully confirm the charge cooler inlet manifold is at fault.Screenshot_20211103-225431_Photos.thumb.jpg.bc152f3f20a7bfacdc7a8037ff6ba39f.jpg

• 6 months later...

Hi folks,

Same problem here in a 2018 octavia.

Firstly my engine was replaced at 124k.

New injectors, timing belt kit, water pump etc and ultimately the engine was replaced in December 2019.

Water pump was again replaced after thus as it was leaking.

Fast forward to September 2021 and coolant loss issue arises.

Car was in local dealer a few time to diagnose fault but none was found.

Eventually in February 2022 it was decided that the egr cooler was the problem and yous was changed out at a cost if over €1200. Next dat, coolant issue was still there. Local dealer have had the car since 18th of February now. Next it was decided that there may be a crack I the head, had to argue with skoda ireland to get the cost of stripping and testing covered by them.

This took an email to one of the ceo s of skoda Ireland to get this sorted.

Anyway..... head comes back ok after testing and then all other ancillary coolant parts tested. Just back from the garage again today and apparently now skoda ireland have told the dealer to change the charge air cooler despite Local dealer finding no issue with it.

Like one of the other posters, I am also a taxi driver and have had no income from the taxi for over 3 months now.

Mine lost 2psi through an 8hr period when pressure tested. Its still very sporadic but haven't by passed the cooler yet to confirm its definitely that.....Ref water pump was it a genuine water pump they fitted  I only ever use dealer parts on anything vag because tps prices are usually very competitive. I maintain 3 skodas for a airport chauffeurs and change the pump at 80k, last time it went 5k over and started leaking which is proof that skoda's  claims off 135k for the belt is too adventurous 

Hi All,

Jumping on this thread ..

I am also loosing coolant on my 1.6 TDI CLHA 2016 Skoda Octavia 4x4.

From this thread I believe I also have a possible leak on the charge air cooler.

From the forums If it was the EGR cooler I believe I would see a lot of white smoke on startup which I do not.

I was wondering if I can bypass the charge air cooler coolant flow and connect the inlet and outlet air cooler pipes to each other and drive the car like normal to prove whether this is the issue or not?

What are the risks of doing this if any? If its bypassed and no coolant is lost then I will know that is the issue for sure.

On the You tube videos below the Air Charge Cooler / Intercooler is tested in both videos once it is removed and changed in the subsequent video.

but I would like to test it in the car before removal if possible.

Interested to know any comments / info

Thanks

As I said previously disconnect the 2 coolant pipes to the manifold and put a straight connector between thus by passing the cooler completely.. ....mine is usually only loosing 500ml which is enough to drop below the sensor..   this is generally about 250 miles between the light....so firstly monitor the usage before by passing it 

4 minutes ago, Sj001975 said:

As I said previously disconnect the 2 coolant pipes to the manifold and put a straight connector between thus by passing the cooler completely.. ....mine is usually only loosing 500ml which is enough to drop below the sensor..   this is generally about 250 miles between the light....so firstly monitor the usage before by passing it 

Thanks Sj001975 ,

Initially I was loosing approximately 500 ml over a 1000 miles travelled but I think it appears to be getting worse as the distance is less now for the same loss.

Do you have yours bypassed now for normal usage?

Do you know if there are any negative impacts if any of bypassing this cooler completely?

Cheers mate

As I am a self employed mechanic and extremely busy not blanked mine of yet  but intend to run it forva couple of weeks to monitor before changing I do between 3-500 miles a week 

My head was cracked in the exhaust valve housing to the water jacket in cylinder no 2. EGR cooler and charge air cooler changed by Skoda, plus changing the head gasket and pressure testing the head and not finding anything wrong... Take from that what you will 😂

My old 1.6tdi 15 plate was a taxi too and often dropped a bit of coolant now and then. I just topped it up and it’s still going strong at 230k.