Busy weekend...

muddyboots

Well here's a list of all the stuff I've done this weekend.

- Oil & filter change

- Air filter change

- Pollen filter change

(All filters OE items from TPS, oil is Castrol Edge 5-30 Longlife 507.00)

- Brake fluid replaced - Castrol React Performance DOT 4

- Replaced brake caliper sliders all round - often cited as the cause of uneven pad/disc wear, so I thought no harm in replacing, plus thorough clean of calipers/carriers

- New discs & pads all round - pads are EBC Yellows (was already running those, very pleased with them and well priced), discs are EBC - probably no real need for the grooved versions, but if I decide to have another go on track they can't hurt. Plus I like the look of them.

- Front top mounts and bearings changed - used SKF bearings and Audi TT top mounts (latter are slightly stiffer rubber than OE). One of the original top bearings fell apart when I dismantled the strut, so was due a change...

- Rear top mounts and bump stops replaced - the rear bump stops were crumbling to bits, so needed doing. Silly not to change mounts if changing the dampers anyway.

- New dampers all round - Bilstein B6 - designed for OE springs and unchanged ride height. Old dampers were well past their best - thudding and crashing over bumps - it's like a magic carpet now in comparison, plus more body control than OE. Bought from a supplier in Germany at a *much* better price than could be had in UK.

- Replaced rear ARB - a used bar from a Tiguan for about £40-odd including bushes, ~2mm increase in thickness - this is just a very mild upgrade - halfway between OE and the likes of Whiteline. Just wanted a slight reduction in body roll / understeer. Looks totally OE and is hollow too, so a little lighter than aftermarket solid bars.

- Wheel alignment - thought I'd try a Gunson Trackrite and a camber gauge - did lots of (repeatable) measurements before I started - after all the work, the steering was off very slightly and the Trackrite confirmed a little too much toe-in, probably due to having to partly remove the nearside front wishbone during damper fitting. Adjusted up the nearside trackrod, and steering is back straight and toe is as it was before I started.

Edited by muddyboots
  • Like 2

he has too much time and  money to spend on his car????

Aside from the rear ARB, all the other bits were due for changing anyway.

My time is free, DIY maintenance is a hobby.

I bought the car nearly 3 years old so someone else had paid for the depreciation, and I DIY all my servicing.

Compared to people who buy cars from new and pay main dealer rates for servicing/maintenance, I don't think I'm being too extravagant....

• Like 1

I respect your knowledge and ability although I have no idea what the majority of the bits look like or even do.

I note that you have enjoyed some track use in the past but my driving style hardly disturbs the damned seagull chicks who have taken to basking on the sunroof.

However, given that your car is 5 years old, should I expect all the component changes (as distinct from fluids) to be necessary for mine in 2021?

• Like 1

I respect your knowledge and ability although I have no idea what the majority of the bits look like or even do.

I note that you have enjoyed some track use in the past but my driving style hardly disturbs the damned seagull chicks who have taken to basking on the sunroof.

However, given that your car is 5 years old, should I expect all the component changes (as distinct from fluids) to be necessary for mine in 2021?

A lot of the suspension work on mine is necessary because of the roads it gets driven on every day - plenty of less-than-perfect minor roads across the Peak District at reasonable speed, plus I do about 20k miles/yr.

I've done similar work on most cars I've had.

Regarding track use - I've only ever been to one session, the Briskoda "How Fast" day, which was an hour's slot where you could go on track as/when you wanted and spend the rest of the time in the pit lane chatting to other Briskodians - so very little track use really, certainly won't have had any real effect on the car. I did thoroughly enjoy it though, so may have another go in the future.

So no, I doubt you'll need to worry about doing all this to yours!

Cambelt change due at five years old if TDI engine?

Guy

Sent from my Xperia Z5 Premium

Aside from the rear ARB, all the other bits were due for changing anyway.

My time is free, DIY maintenance is a hobby.

I bought the car nearly 3 years old so someone else had paid for the depreciation, and I DIY all my servicing.

Compared to people who buy cars from new and pay main dealer rates for servicing/maintenance, I don't think I'm being too extravagant....

I was just following on from the post before me, seem to good a opportunity to miss

I think a few words on the parts changed and the work done on the initial post would have helped us understand what you had done and why

looks a good job though, how does the trackright work? and is it expensive?

Edited by bluecar1

I'd enjoy a bit of track time if it was a wet track.

For me, limited grip allows exploration of balance without destroying the tyres.

I find there is so much grip it's difficult, on public roads, to know what happens at the limit in an emergency maneuver.