190bhp versus 150bhp, no option of test drive

My tuppence ha'penny's worth. I have the 190 DSG Combi. Covered 6500 miles now. It pulls like a train and goes like a rocket. The feeling of unwhelming performance I think is due to the size of the car and smoothness on the box. 60-70 comes up very quickly and overtaking is breeze. I'm getting more MPG than my wife's Golf 150GT Tdi. Anymore horsepower would need 4WD to get it down. Ask how many 190 owners wish they'd bought the 150. Not many I bet. I very much doubt you'd regret buying either.

• Like 2

My tuppence ha'penny's worth. I have the 190 DSG Combi. Covered 6500 miles now. It pulls like a train and goes like a rocket. The feeling of unwhelming performance I think is due to the size of the car and smoothness on the box. 60-70 comes up very quickly and overtaking is breeze. I'm getting more MPG than my wife's Golf 150GT Tdi. Anymore horsepower would need 4WD to get it down. Ask how many 190 owners wish they'd bought the 150. Not many I bet. I very much doubt you'd regret buying either.

Do you find it an issue with the AdBlue aspect? I've read on other pages that warning lights have come on even when the AdBlue tank is full or saying that it's needed when it clearly is not.

I'm starting to swing back to the 190bhp. I spoke with the dealer who said I need to order it at the end of August for a 171 (Irish) plate which is Jan 2017. So I've another month of "thinking" !!!

Edited by BennyS3

The adblue on mine has so far been faultless and a piece of cake to refill, once full it is estimating 9k miles out of the tank, it was delivered saying 7.5k miles and it would have done more than that if I had run it right down.

• Like 1

Do you find it an issue with the AdBlue aspect? I've read on other pages that warning lights have come on even when the AdBlue tank is full or saying that it's needed when it clearly is not.

I'm starting to swing back to the 190bhp. I spoke with the dealer who said I need to order it at the end of August for a 171 (Irish) plate which is Jan 2017. So I've another month of "thinking" !!!

If you do that, agree something about price increases beforehand.  I got stuck with a price increase between ordering in October and receiving the car in March.  Might only be a few hundred but its best to be clear beforehand.  The SIMI say that you can back out of the deal or pay the increase but I'll bet that there's middle ground.  At the very least, pay the smallest deposit possible, €250 is ideal, €500 max.

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat as yourself. I test drove a 190 today and after testing a few 150s there is definitely a difference but still not sure if it's worth the extra. BTW you said you were told the end of August for ordering a 171 for January. I was told 12 weeks comfortably and October would be fine for ordering but I think realistically August/early September would be best to ensure an early 2017 delivery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I am new on this forum and would appreciate some help.

I am looking to buy a tdi 150 ps Superb hatch with a manual gearbox. I have read in a few places that the engine becomes noisy and feels under geared at anything over 70 m.p.h. Problem is I have been quite unable to find a manual version to test drive or even be driven in. I have tried a dsg and that seemed fine at 75 m.p.h. Therefore, I am wondering if the gearing between manuals and dogs is different. So my questions to owners of 150 psi diesel manuals are:

1. What is the gearing at 70 m.p.h. (i.e. m.p.h. Per 1,000 r.p.m.)

2. Is it a relaxed cruise at an indicated 80 m.p.h.?

3. Is there an owner near to Crawley, West Sussex who would be willing to take me for a short spin on a motorway at those speeds so I can see/hear for myself before I order the car. I will pay for your fuel!

Your assistance will be appreciated.

• Like 1

After 500 miles I can say I'm glad I went for the 190. It definitely pulls better. Fuel economy is what I expected. Low 40s but this is still my first tank of diesel so I am expecting improvement. If I can average 45mpg I'll be happy. Engine actually doesn't sound that bad from inside the cabin, it's very well insulated.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I haven't had to refill yet. From new, it estimated 7000 or 8000 miles IIRC. Having driven nearly 6500 miles now, the adblue still reads 3000 miles. I do drive as effeciently as I can most of the time however. The old girl rarely sees 3000 rpm. As I said, my wife has the 150 Golf Mk7 which is a hoot to drive but I never get back in the S3 and think it feels slow in comparison. It does what it does without fuss or fanfare and have no regrets in going for the 190.

• Like 1

Gearing is about 38mph per 1000 rpm, so 70 or 80 just under / over 2000 rpm. Plenty still left in reserve to accelerate and I don't notice any noise. Current average from new is 54mpg from 150bhp, so person saying they'll be happy with 45mpg from 190bhp, I'd be disappointed

Gearing is about 38mph per 1000 rpm, so 70 or 80 just under / over 2000 rpm. Plenty still left in reserve to accelerate and I don't notice any noise. Current average from new is 54mpg from 150bhp, so person saying they'll be happy with 45mpg from 190bhp, I'd be disappointed

I live in Milton Keynes, land of short journeys and roundabouts. 45mpg is good trust me [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

5mpg is about 5 more than Im getting from my 190 but to be fair it does local, or fully loaded with roof box never done a longer journey without a full load and roof box, + i'm reasonably quick where possible.

• Like 1

I am new on this forum and would appreciate some help.

I am looking to buy a tdi 150 ps Superb hatch with a manual gearbox. I have read in a few places that the engine becomes noisy and feels under geared at anything over 70 m.p.h. Problem is I have been quite unable to find a manual version to test drive or even be driven in. I have tried a dsg and that seemed fine at 75 m.p.h. Therefore, I am wondering if the gearing between manuals and dogs is different. So my questions to owners of 150 psi diesel manuals are:

1. What is the gearing at 70 m.p.h. (i.e. m.p.h. Per 1,000 r.p.m.)

2. Is it a relaxed cruise at an indicated 80 m.p.h.?

3. Is there an owner near to Crawley, West Sussex who would be willing to take me for a short spin on a motorway at those speeds so I can see/hear for myself before I order the car. I will pay for your fuel!

Your assistance will be appreciated.

I have the 150 tdi manual.

The RPM at 70mph in 6th from memory is around 2000rpm or under

Sitting at 100/ 110mph the engine is still fairly low on RPM and manages perfectly well, even at the short bursts up to around 120 - 125 ish mph i think it was up at 3000rpm ish and the car felt stable, this was only 1 person up and unloaded on the A1 /A61 Autobahn from Venlo down to the ring in Germany last month but traffic reduced the speed to around 90/100mph for most of the route going there and slower on the way back.

Getting from Calais, Belgium, Holland in one drive was a different style of driving within legal limits with the kids on board and all our gear, very relaxing and coped very well returning around 55mpg for the 600 miles covered.  Felt better than my BMW E60 if im honest,

The main issue is tyres and road surfaces noises, its the UK at fault here and not the car or tyres... the car is near silent on the EU roads where as in the UK the tyre roar is pretty loud.

Edited by RickTT

Thanks for your advice, Mike 66 and Rick TT. I think the car will be ordered in black with black leather/alcantara, (personal preference, less sweaty!). Toys to include DCC, sunroof, rear camera and towbar.

The disappointing thing about all of this has been the inability to test drive the car I actually want to buy which has made me question the wisdom of spending so much of my own cash. Skoda tell me it is the dealers who choose the cars they have in their showrooms. They seem to pick cars with DSG and nothing else, presumably because they are more expensive and/or more popular but why can't a minority choice of a 6 speed box, if that is what it is, be available as well? I suspect other manufacturers adopt a similar attitude although at one stage I was considering a BMW and did not having the same difficulty in trying cars that appealed to me.

From this thread, other have had the same experience. I wonder if Skoda need to be made more aware of their customer's feelings - perhaps via Briskoda??