The New Octavia vRS - My review

The Standard Steam Stereo Not Loud Enough???? Time for a vist to the doctors for ear wax removal me thinks. Mine blows the G/F fabias away and I cant hear jack with it turned up loud, phones, girlfriends, police cars.....

Good review.

Must be getting old.The main thing I'm bothered about with the new one is having a much nicer/more refined interior.

My mark I is pants compared to the fabia vRS and stepfathers MKII Octavia Elegance

Yet another question then - has someone who's got an Octavia 'Series 1' vRS driven the 'Series 2' and how did you feel it compared, performance and otherwise.

I'll try and let you know. Bickertons have invited me to a test drive on Wednesday :thumbup:

Had a drive in an Vrs today, Pilling Milton Keynes. Thanks guys!

Engine gorgeous and gets lively at over 5000rpm. reminded me of a Polo 16v I had with dual induction. Very smooth revving. Sounded nice and rorty at high revs. :thumbup:

Ride on 18" wheels surprisingly smooth. And interior looked nice. :)

However, I felt road noise was excessive. to the point where it felt like an assault on my eardrums. I suspect that soundproofing has been skimped on. This was on all types of road surface. Dont think I can live with that everday and has certainly has put me off.:(

Same trick used on the Fabia vRS - get it soundproofed, costs a few hundred incl fitting but it makes a world of difference :)

Can you point me/us to a good soundproofing firm? We're getting another diesel, and the only thing I have against it is the noise. But not doing it myself after (many decades ago) wrestilg with the kit for a Renault 4. Made a fair difference, but took weeks to get the black fixing goo off my fingers....

Can you point me/us to a good soundproofing firm? We're getting another diesel, and the only thing I have against it is the noise. But not doing it myself after (many decades ago) wrestilg with the kit for a Renault 4. Made a fair difference, but took weeks to get the black fixing goo off my fingers....

I wrote a full review on the new Octavia vrs. HTF did it get to a discussion on soundproofing? :confused:

Any chance of a "sweeper" mod going through with your dustpan and broom?

I wrote a full review on the new Octavia vrs. HTF did it get to a discussion on soundproofing? :confused:

Any chance of a "sweeper" mod going through with your dustpan and broom?

Shhhh... I'll start a new thread and tiptoe of to bed....

• 2 weeks later...

Sat in one on Saturday (they will start test drives from next week.) Surprise surprise,black ,18" wheels and the annoying armrest box. Nice car,but not nice enough for me to want a new one.Will wait for a low mileage one

The most pleasing thing were the seats.What I thought were white inserts are actually darkish grey.As the salesman put it 'serviceable'.

They have clearly taken on board the comments about white seats!!

Had a go yesturday morning the VRS went very well, As for mpg over 35 miles, pushed very hard 22mpg average

The car is fantastic, sitting at 80 on a private road drop it into 4th straight to 120 in no time at all. Also goes round bends like it is on rails, eg my Oct'y with sport suspension out of a 1/2 mile long tight left hander will do about 65 mph, Vrs 105mph felt pefectly stable. A very nice car

[ all performance done on a private road }

It would be possible to see 35mpg on a long steady run, be a bit boreing though

• 1 month later...
19 mpg !!! Strewth. Any word on the Diesel vRS yet?

Incidently' date=' Ive just looked in 'What Car' and it quotes the new Octavia vRS as group 9!! The same as the Fabia vRS. This is surely a mistake. Anyone know?[/quote']

Just to add to this, I've bought one - I caved in. The insurance is costing a mere

19 mpg !!! Strewth. Any word on the Diesel vRS yet?

Incidently' date=' Ive just looked in 'What Car' and it quotes the new Octavia vRS as group 9!! The same as the Fabia vRS. This is surely a mistake. Anyone know?[/quote']

Brochure states 15E...

I would just like to second the call made by WW VRS above: could someone please provide a comparison between the Mk I and Mk II Octy VRS, and tell us which is REALLY the better car? Basically, is it worth changing or not? From what I can see, there may be very good reasons for keeping my faithful Mk I.