Octavia III Vrs: Auto vs Manual

I do not mean to hijack this thread, but my particular clutch had a clear manufacturing defect which did not become apparent until after the crappy 6-month / 6K mile warranty. This has been independently verified and after 3-months of arguing the case VAG have accepted the findings.

My pressure plate was concave from the factory. The result was that the disc and plate only made full contact around the outer edges. When brand new the minimal contact patch could just about hold the power of the engine, but after a little wear it began to slip.

Here is a picture of my pressure-plate. It is clear that it had only worn around the outer edge. The inner edge shows virtually now wear/contact.

FiXfK67.jpg

Here is one showing how concave the plate was. It should have been flat to allow proper contact.

Ldl4vCJ.jpg

Finally, this is the disc. It shows extremely little wear because it has only touched the pressure-plate around the edges. Even the edges are not worn badly, there just was not enough contact-patch for the clutch to grip correctly.

PbJ75zc.jpg

I am the first to admit that the defect my car suffered is very rare. However it has made me fully aware that Skoda will try everything within their power to deny warranty for any "wear & tear" components, even when there is a clear fault. In the end I have been offered my money back because I was persistent, and was wise enough to keep the replaced parts for evidence. Otherwise Skoda would have happily screwed me for a problem I did not create.

I am sure that if I had a DSG gearbox that started slipping at a similar age and mileage, Skoda would have replaced it without any questions.

I never worry about what MIGHT happen. Anything MIGHT happen. Lots of other stuff in a car that could go expensively wrong. Try manual and DSG and choose your preference. Fuel consumption differences are small, a couple of miles a gallon - it's not as if you're choosing between petrol and diesel.

I'm not a fan of diesels, but if I had to have one it would only be with an auto or DSG box. Far too much porridge stirring in a diesel. IMHO.

Mines petrol dsg. Best choice ever. Just touch the throttle away you go. Normally in D setting then once you've left everyone behind at the light going through the gearbox, go to S if you want, no need though.

I have just been told I can't drive due to a medical condition found last week, so wife's driving me in her car. Missing it already.

.... Hence I will never buy another Skoda.

Perhaps the UK operation could have given fairer service, but its not really the fault of Skoda the car manufacturer is it? 

You could get a similar manufacturing defect from ANY make or marque, and many would have been a lot more expensive to fix (I'm looking at you BuMW). 

• Like 1

Agree that all car manufacturers are at the the mercy of their component suppliers but they should have robust quality assurance systems in place. That said there can still be faulty parts making it through and then it's how the car manufacturer deals with that at a customer level that is the real measure of quality and the company

Edited by TonyD

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I picked up a new VRS TSi 5 weeks ago . I've had manuals all my life but the demonstrator car, vrs tsi , had the DSG box . It is the best auto box I've driven . I took the car through some twisty roads in sport mode and in the manual type mode ,ie using the paddles . Holding it in 2nd caning it up to a corner , lifted foot slightly to set up corner and it changed up .

I've bought a manual !

It was getting near the rev limiter and decided it new better than me , quite understandable of course because auto boxes need built in protection from wrong shifts etc.

Which box? it obviously depends how you like to drive, if you like pressing on hard through the twisties buy the manual . If not the dsg will still give you plenty of fun and in town 2 peddles has its advantages. Which ever way you go the Octavia RS is a stunningly good car .

I live in New Zealand where we have a lot of twisty roads and not much town traffic in comparison to the UK and Europe . Its getting harder to get a manual box , I had to wait 6 months for delivery.

Cheers

Jim

Hi, I picked up a new VRS TSi 5 weeks ago . I've had manuals all my life but the demonstrator car, vrs tsi , had the DSG box . It is the best auto box I've driven . I took the car through some twisty roads in sport mode and in the manual type mode ,ie using the paddles . Holding it in 2nd caning it up to a corner , lifted foot slightly to set up corner and it changed up .

I've bought a manual !

It was getting near the rev limiter and decided it new better than me , quite understandable of course because auto boxes need built in protection from wrong shifts etc.

Which box? it obviously depends how you like to drive, if you like pressing on hard through the twisties buy the manual . If not the dsg will still give you plenty of fun and in town 2 peddles has its advantages. Which ever way you go the Octavia RS is a stunningly good car .

I live in New Zealand where we have a lot of twisty roads and not much town traffic in comparison to the UK and Europe . Its getting harder to get a manual box , I had to wait 6 months for delivery.

Cheers

Jim

Were you in manual (stick to the left) or had you just flicked the paddle whilst in D or S? If it changed up on you I think you had done the latter.

If you flick the paddle in auto you do not go into full manual. You only temporarily override the auto gear. When it catches up it goes back to auto.

If you flick the stick sideways you go into manual but it will change down to prevent stall. However I have not had mine change up at all in manual.

As I said there is a bit of a learning curve with these boxes and not necessarily something you will get on a short test run.

Were you in manual (stick to the left) or had you just flicked the paddle whilst in D or S? If it changed up on you I think you had done the latter.

If you flick the paddle in auto you do not go into full manual. You only temporarily override the auto gear. When it catches up it goes back to auto.

If you flick the stick sideways you go into manual but it will change down to prevent stall. However I have not had mine change up at all in manual.

As I said there is a bit of a learning curve with these boxes and not necessarily something you will get on a short test run.

Hi, yes in manual, stick pushed across . It had been holding ok but was near the limiter I guess . In the twisties I would use the direct shift or paddles anyway so I may as well use the gear stick then I know exactly whats going on and nothing is going to change until I want it to . It just suits me , each to their own .

Cheers

31 months down the line with my TDi DSG and I'm ok with it, mixed driving is yielding 46-47mpg which I'm fine with and I guess overall, everything is good.

That said, I do believe that the DSG in its stock map isn't a natural match for the TDi especially in Sport mode, even in standard mode it can on occasions leave you wanting a more appropriate ratio than it actually gives you. It's not a nightmare but it does take a little away from the driving experience.

Once the warranty is out, I will investigate having the box remapped.

• Like 1

Petrol, Manual.  Proper drivers set up.  Plus my neighbour had issues with the DSG on his last car (Golf) and was quoted circa £2k to get it sorted.  I think the DSG is good but based on my neighbours experience, I stuck with true tried and tested transmission.

• Like 1

Obviously Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Bugatti, etc, etc, don't make proper driver's cars.

Dont forget Porsche supposed to be the best driver's car, the GT3 RS sits at the top of the tree which is PDK (DSG) box only.

http://www.porsche.com/uk/models/911/911-gt3-rs/featuresandspecs/

Edited by lmorris2794

2 months ago got my first DSG because manuals in Oz is always a challenge (I'm and English ex-pat). After 30 years of manuals taking some time to get used to it but am really starting to enjoy the swift easy gear changes.  When in automatic mode I miss the engine breaking but that's about it.

Personally I think the only way is to drive a DSG and try all the modes.

• Like 2

Obviously Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Bugatti, etc, etc, don't make proper driver's cars.

Maybe they don't. I wouldn't know as I haven't driven one. Thing is , they don't give you a choice .What about an mx5 or Toyota 86 , these are drivers cars and are available in manual. Drivers Cars!

Mx5 and gt86 hairdressers cars! At the end of the day it's down to the buyer what they want gearbox wise. But saying that a dsg box can shift gear faster and smoother than an human can. Don't hear people complaining about abs and power steering taking things away from the driver.

• Like 1

Mx5 and gt86 hairdressers cars! At the end of the day it's down to the buyer what they want gearbox wise. But saying that a dsg box can shift gear faster and smoother than an human can. Don't hear people complaining about abs and power steering taking things away from the driver.

I think ABS is a great safety feature as you can steer under hard breaking. I have never been in a situation where it has come in to play however. Power steering, in the old days , I remember because I am old there was definately more feed back . My RS doesn't really have the feed back I would like but thats the way it is now I guess .DSG v manual ? personal choice at the end of the day I guess. I love the twisties and I just find the manual gives me more control , but I'm old remember . I do change gears automatically any way, its not like you have to think "I'm sure there is something else I should be doing here . Enjoy the road and have fun .

Cheers

Also note that the DSG can be put into manual mode or semi-manual mode (it reverts to automatic when it thinks you're done 'playing'), so you have the best of both worlds: automatic when you are just driving and manual when you want to have fun, prepare for a quick overtake or using engine braking on steep downhills. 

I'll never have a manual again :)

• Like 1

... I love the twisties and I just find the manual gives me more control ...

Surely the steering wheel is the control that matters in the twisties.

Surely the steering wheel is the control that matters in the twisties.

... that and being in the right gear at the right time.

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Like 1

There are steerers and drivers

As has been mentioned many times it is purely a matter of choice. I've got my first RS TSi and I love it . Either box is great . I'm out of this discussion , leave you to it.

Enjoy the drive.

Cheers