Why are some 4x4 SUV boot sizes so small?

JohnMcL7

I'm possibly missing something here so thought it worth asking, I've occasionally toyed with the idea of a soft roader type vehicle to make it easier to get bikes inside the car as the estates don't have much height particularly the Mazda.  However, the stated sizes of boots seems odd with the soft roader having almost half the capacity of the estate - for example the Mitsubishi Outlander:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/mitsubishi/outlander/features-safety-and-equipment/

Load space with the five seats in place is 591 litres and with the second and third rows folded the load room expands to 1,022 litres.

And the Mazda:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/mazda/6/estate-2008/review/features-safety-and-equipment/

Bettered only by the Vauxhall Vectra for sheer capacity, this is a big car and with the 60/40 split rear seat in place, it has bootspace of 519 litres. With the seats folded, a cavernous 1,751 litre volume is available - all of it easily accessible from the side doors and a rear tailgate with one of the widest openings in the class.

I could understand the Mitsubishi having a smaller boot because it has a four wheel drive system that the Mazda lacks but the Outlander has a slightly larger boot, looking at the pictures of the seats down the Outlander doesn't seem to fold quite as flat as the Mazda but still it seems a huge difference in capacity:

http://images.parkers.bauercdn.com/pagefiles/193352/boot-load-space/1752x1168/outlander_phev_140716(59).jpg?mode=max&quality=90&scale=down

http://images.parkers.bauercdn.com/pagefiles/202916/boot-load-space/1752x1168/mazda-6-estate-110810-(20).jpg?mode=max&quality=90&scale=down

John

Edited by JohnMcL7

Space for AWD components and bigger fuel tank,

and sometimes the same vehicles with only Front Wheel Drive have no more room because the same Platform / Body just not the extra weight.

That can't be the case here though as the Outlander has a bigger boot than the Mazda6 (most of the bulk from the AWD is going to be in the boot and the Outlander actually has a smaller fuel tank), given the passenger compartments are a similar size I can't see how when you put the seats down the Mazda gains 1232 litres of space while the Outlander gains just 431 litres despite having a spacious passenger area.

John

Edited by JohnMcL7

I never looked at the details just the general point.

As to official volumes etc, they often are lots of unusable space when you actually put in passengers and then want luggage, 

or fold one or more rear seats and want a bike or 2 in.

Lots of space in the brochure and very little depending on roof line and angle of rear glass.

• Like 1

I'm with you John it does seem odd to me and not down to components and fuel tank. Not sure if it's something indicative of their target market or a realisation that a lot of people who own them don't need a large boot because they don't use it. Imho they aren't the most practical cars and this is a reflection of that, I kind of understand their appeal but I wouldn't get one but each to their own. They may presume that if a large boot is what you need you'd get an estate, allroad type car or longer body 4x4. They would probably also assume that you'd use a cycle rack, which is a bit annoying as many people carry their bike in car out of harms way (including myself).

• Like 1

Its just a fact of life, estates generally always have a bigger and more usable boot than even a big 4x4. If you look at the Discovery the boot isn't as deep as an estate but the height is obviously greater 

And another more practical option that gives height and depth may be a 'people carrier' with removable rear seats. As much as I dislike swmbo's megane scenic that boot is blooming useful!

Edited by YellowCar

Its just a fact of life, estates generally always have a bigger and more usable boot than even a big 4x4. If you look at the Discovery the boot isn't as deep as an estate but the height is obviously greater 

But that isn't the case here - the Outlander actually has a larger boot than the Mazda which is the opposite of what I'd expect and the Outlander has a similar sized passenger area yet when the seats are folded, somehow there's much less space.  I could understand it if the Outlander has a minimal, cramped passenger area but the reviewer notes how spacious it is.

I do also appreciate that it's not a foolproof way to measure things as the Mazda feels a little cramped compared to the mk 2 Octavia I had despite the Mazda having a slight advantage on paper (I assume due to the slightly boxier rear on the Octavia) but the difference in capacity for the Outlander vs Mazda6 is huge.

John

Edited by JohnMcL7

Have you checked yourself in case the reviewer is talking mince? 

I've checked other sites and they're consistent with the numbers both for the Outlander/Mazda6/Octavia and for other vehicles in similar ranges, the 4x4's all have fairly small capacities and the estates all fairly large.  I assume they're all getting the figures from a central source, one did mention that the Outlander was measured 'to the window line' but I can't find a definition of that, it did make me wonder if the way they were calculating space somehow disadvantaged the 4x4's which is what prompted me to start this topic.  I've never owned any of these vehicles myself nor loaded bikes onto them (bike friends tend to use vans) so I don't know if it's the case the numbers are hugely misleading or they are more limited in their capacity.

John

Edited by JohnMcL7

I don't know what you mean, reviewers rate the soft roaders as being practical with a decent capacity but then they're only comparing them within the class and not against estates.

John

I mean actually go to a car dealership, open the doors of the vehicle you fancy and sit in the rear, fold the seats, open the rear door etc.

I spent years reading 'Reviewers' and motoring journalists. and then seeing if what they say is worth the space it was given in a magazine, 

now online.

I have no plans to currently replace my vehicle and even if I was, there's no way to realistically check the size of the vehicle without loading it up.  The capacity figures don't come from the reviewers, they come from the manufacturers.

John

That's lazy reporting. Just downloaded the Outlander brochure the figures quoted are to the window level and then only for the gx2 model. To window level 591l and 1022l, to roof 870l and 1754l. The better models seem to be 7 seaters so space is lost so max is 1608l but helpfully the min given is with all 7 seats up so is 173l (to roof)

The figures for the mazda 6 tourer are to "the belt line" ( whatever that is) are 1648l and 522l

Edited by io1901
  • Like 1

I think George is mostly on the money, they have a high floor for the 4x4 bits that go underneath and even if it's a 2x4 if there is a 4x4 version in the same range then they'll all be build the same way.

Also I think the shape of the compartment is less useful. 4x4 style areas are more boxy so the luggage space is tall rather than long, which isn't as practical.

Also you can have a lot of intrusion from the wheel wells which can be large to account for big wheels and tyres with more suspension travel than a standard car.

Get one with roof rails.

Edited by Aspman

I have often wondered this too.

I saw someone loading shopping into a Juke the other day, and realised just how pathetic the boot is.

Because of the way the hatch slopes, you loose a massive amount of what otherwise would be usable space.

I think that mk1 Fabia had a more practical boot and that's a supermini!

2696.jpg

• Like 1

So many of the crossover type vehicles are built off small chassis vehicles anyway they are destined to be small of boot. Boss has a Captur atm as replacement fleet lease hasnt been finalised, so all BIK staff are in temp rentals. Boot in captur is only barely big enough for one normal size plastic box for carrying work gear in - after he took the raised floor bit out - given its basically a nissan Puke, which is essentially a jacked up steroid enhanced Micra im not shocked.

even the yeti with seats up is pretty tidgy in the boot area.

Its one of the main reasons i dislike all the vehicles in that class - give the impression of ****loads of room and space, but really not any bigger than a normal hatchback, just taller and pricier.

• Like 1

That's lazy reporting. Just downloaded the Outlander brochure the figures quoted are to the window level and then only for the gx2 model. To window level 591l and 1022l, to roof 870l and 1754l. The better models seem to be 7 seaters so space is lost so max is 1608l but helpfully the min given is with all 7 seats up so is 173l (to roof)

The figures for the mazda 6 tourer are to "the belt line" ( whatever that is) are 1648l and 522l

I'm not sure it's lazy and more just they're using the same measurement for all vehicles but what you've said definitely makes sense looking at the two vehicles, there's no way the Mazda has 70% more space.  I have had a look for what measuring to the window line actually means but can't find any information on it, with the terms being quite generic it throws up lots of other unrelated items.

John

I'm not sure it's lazy and more just they're using the same measurement for all vehicles but what you've said definitely makes sense looking at the two vehicles, there's no way the Mazda has 70% more space.  I have had a look for what measuring to the window line actually means but can't find any information on it, with the terms being quite generic it throws up lots of other unrelated items.

John

As others have said the best way to determine boot size is with a tape measure.  (which I have done on several occasions)

I have often wondered this too.

I saw someone loading shopping into a Juke the other day, and realised just how pathetic the boot is.

Because of the way the hatch slopes, you loose a massive amount of what otherwise would be usable space.

I think that mk1 Fabia had a more practical boot and that's a supermini!

2696.jpg

My boss just bought one of these for his dad.

The boot, as you say, is pathetic considering it is a '4x4' style car. He can't even fit a Jerry can in it. Which means we now have to do the petrol trip at work... Not in my car though luckily! Although I reckon the boss' panamera could fit a couple in :bandit:

JRJG

As others have said the best way to determine boot size is with a tape measure.  (which I have done on several occasions)

Unfortunately that's not an option for me, not many cars up here so it's usually a couple of hundred mile trip to see a car which means I have to pretty serious about it.

John

Edited by JohnMcL7

Unfortunately that's not an option for me, not many cars up here so it's usually a couple of hundred mile trip to see a car which means I have to pretty serious about it.

John

Or ask nicely on a forum ;)

Must just be me with a hard neck.

If a car interests me i often just strike up a conversation with someone waiting at a supermarket or the likes and ask about their car.

Boot space, comfort etc, not many have ever been less than pleased to show it off, discuss the merits of it, 

how it tows etc.

Some even ask if i want to sit in it.

Maybe its just the dogging spots i park at have a friendly kind of car owner.

• Like 4

Has the OP ever considered a Roomster, very, er, roomy!  And with roof rails you can fit cycle carriers. Gather Skoda do/did an internal cycle rack of some sort.

Versatile, too, all 3 rear seats can be individually folded and removed, in any combination/permutation of space/seating.

Would I be right in thinking the Outlander (and Peugeot/Citroen hybrid clones) must accommodate a big battery somewhere underneath.......

Richard