LED number plate lights

Yes - I also vote for the VAG ones. You replace the whole assembly with a purpose one with the LED, but then it looks perfect.

Also, and as mentioned, it immediately throws an error and you need to code them for the error to go away.

Otherwise, they look awesome, but do get the proper ones. They are not too expensive anyway...

Personally I prefer the genuine VAG ones like those on the new Superb, I find some of the aftermarket ones can be too bright. Yes they will need coding.

If the aftermarket ones are too bright, they can easily be dimmed using VCDS. The OEM LEDs fitted to VAG cars are normally set to 127% brightness.

Could anybody recommend a good set of LED number plate lights please and whether they need coding or not. All recommendations appreciated.

Probably the cheapest OEM option is 000 052 110 (Rapid LED nr. plate light).

Friend of mine used this, straight swap and nice result.

You can buy it at your local dealer for a fair price.

Coding needed as others mentioned.

https://www.drive2.ru/l/6034752/

Edited by aki78
  • Like 1

What kind of coding is required? Something that the Skoda dealer can help with? Assuming that one buys LED lights from them?

Edited by Mauxs78

What kind of coding is required? Something that the Skoda dealer can help with? Assuming that one buys LED lights from them?

It’s a 5 min job to code them, the dealer may or may not code them, so it’s best to ask before you buy them.

Alternatively look on the VCDS owners map (link in my signature) for someone local to you.

If the aftermarket ones are too bright, they can easily be dimmed using VCDS. The OEM LEDs fitted to VAG cars are normally set to 127% brightness.

What's the coding necessary to do this?

Look at the O3 adaptations tried and tested thread at the top of this forum - the coding is in post #27. Sorry, but I'm on my mobile, and I am having trouble posting link to post.

You will see that after coding from 5w bulb to LED, the brightness is changed from 100 to 127. Play with the numbers for the brightness required.

Look at the O3 adaptations tried and tested thread at the top of this forum - the coding is in post #27. Sorry, but I'm on my mobile, and I am having trouble posting link to post.

You will see that after coding from 5w bulb to LED, the brightness is changed from 100 to 127. Play with the numbers for the brightness required.

Got it. Thanks!

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/299424-octavia-iii-vcds-adaptations-tried-and-tested/#entry3772564

If you're looking to find the SKODA OEMs cheaper than at your dealer's, I got them from here -thought they were a good deal at 5.5 EUR each (you'll need 2) + shipping

http://skodadop.com/en/yeti-/eksterer-yeti/svetodiodnyj-led-fonar-osvetsheniya-nomernogo-znaka-.html

(disclaimer: I've no affiliation whatsoever with that business)

They're listed as Yeti/Superb/Rapid compatible but they also fit the Octavia III

As reported by previous users, VCDS coding is necessary.

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

Instead of opening a new thread I am using existing one even though it is bit old. I want to upgrade my number plate light to LED. i red this whole thread including some other in this forum but couldn't come up with any decision. 

Did anyone here successfully change their light without any hassle (except coding) in their Octavia 3? I found one on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252019343081?euid=aea516626b5a4f7c9bfa762dfb84c71b&bu=43329747725&cp=1&sojTags=bu=bu

and seller confirmed me that they will fit in my car without any problem and also no coded required and there will be no error message.

I have seen other links in this thread but they are in different language and also it seems, i have to shape them a bit to fit them in the slots. what i want is straight replace and I got OBDeleven..so if coding needed i can do it with it i believe. just need to find the correct and good quality light now. advice needed please

Go with the VW/Skoda ones. The only change you need to make to them is to cut off a plastic tab. 10 second job. 

The VW ones don't need the separate ballasts like those ebay ones, so there is nothing to rattle in the boot.

And both the superskoda and skodadop sites have an English version of the site, so ordering from them is easy. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WayTooTall said:

I wish to buy them but without knowing the total cost in GBP (including delivery) how can i go for them and other thing is how shall i know which part is to cut off. i guess when i go for fitting i will realise myself. did you buy for them? how much was it including delivery and how long did it take?

With the number plate lights, without modification, they will only go in one way. Unfortunately on the Octavia, that is the wrong way round. So you want to put them in the so they don't fit, and it will be clear what piece you need to remove. Worth putting a piece of tape on the side of the lights you can work out right and wrong way round.

You can select euros as the currency and on the skodadop site each bulb is about 6 eruos with shipping at about the same. So total cost will be around 17.50. Skodadop seems to have the better price atm.

I am in London most weekends if you have a problem with either the coding or fitting.

But it is a really easy process.

See the hassle...I think I'll give those ebay items a go..those are small resistors and would barely make any rattle noise. but my main concern is if they will produce any low voltage fault code in the car computer like my interior LED light bulbs (though seller said there will be no error, but when i scanned with my obd2 i saw the fault code there).

So nice of you offering me the assistance..but this particulars are coming little expensive..including delivery £37 or so.

27 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

My stepson bought a pair of those eBay ones and they were a crap fit, way too bright and gave an error. 

So bought genuine ones! 

Really!!!..Thanks for letting me know..now then I've to look for the original one on ebay or at least UK based website.