1.4 150 hp ACT eco noise.....is it normal?

Hi Everyone,

I currently own a Superb III 150 HP 1.4 tsi ACT purchased in October 2015 and for the last 1 month seem to have a noise problem with the ACT system......in other words, when in Eco mode, there seems to be a very loud rattle coming from the front of the car....it seems like a "FRRRRRR"  or "TRRRRRRR" and you can hear it when the windows are open.

I have discovered the noise only starts once the Eco light comes on and then stops once the Eco light goes off, so it only happens when in 2 cylinder mode.

Do any other SIII owners with the 1.4 tsi 150 engine have a similar noise?

Thanks for any info you have on this
Cheers, Fabrizio

Can confirm that I can't hear any noises when in 2 cylinder mode. Maybe get it checked? You are under warranty of course.

Thank you very much. So this noise is not normal.... I'll call the service....

But...another question....Is it possible that the cause of this noise is the single-mass flywheel? (the original dual-mass flywheel was replaced last month due to excessive vibration)

Thank you!

Is the noise occurring at lower revs, ie low speed, high gear.

Under these conditions, two cylinder mode is most noticeable through the drive train. But shouldn't be making a racket. Sounds like the lack of smooth engine running inherent at low engine speed is being magnified by something loose in the engine bay. Air con pipes have been identified previously on here as a cause of noise but that was on diesels if I recall. Could be the same with yours.

I'm wondering wether to get mine checked out. As now upto 2500 miles, when in Eco mode you can feel a rumbling sensation/noise.

Also as I've mentioned before the clicking clutch is getting annoying!

• 2 months later...

Has anyone with a 1.4 TSI ACT/ 1.4 TSFI COD done over 20,000 miles yet, and have the spark plugs been inspected yet, (just as an inspection and to see how they look.)

or will they be left until 40,000 miles before they are removed and replaced at a Main Dealer Service?

Just to share my experience.. same engine. I can tell the car goes into eco mode without actually seeing the sign. But it's never as loud as what the OP describes. I was never disturbed by it.

The car is only at 2500 km yet, if that's something.

Has anyone with a 1.4 TSI ACT/ 1.4 TSFI COD done over 20,000 miles yet, and have the spark plugs been inspected yet, (just as an inspection and to see how they look.)

or will they be left until 40,000 miles before they are removed and replaced at a Main Dealer Service?

On 14 and a half so far...

• 1 year later...

Hi, did you find out what the problem was with the noise in eco mode? I have a Seat Leon 2015 with 27k miles, it does the same. about 2000 rpm and accelerating in eco mode gently you get a flicker sound, quite loud with the windows down, It has been back to the Seat garage twice and they can't find the fault yet. it has been escalated to the factory team now.

There is a distant thrum/vibration when in 2 cylinder mode due simply to only half the number of cylinders firing. Most people would not notice it. If its loud then maybe the injectors for 1 and 4 are not very well balanced or there is some build up of carbon on one. Try an injector cleaner.

If it is a loud metallic rattle then that would indicate a problem with the ACT solenoids but I expect that would put the EML light on.

If your passengers don't complain then I think you've become oversensitive to it. Turn the radio up, close the window and turn on the air conditioning.

49 minutes ago, thecurryman said:

thanks for the information, it is probably a more metallic chattering sound,  the garage did change the spark plugs as part of the investigation as the one in cylinder 4 was 'fouled'

Chris

Could be something loose like fuel lines etc hitting bodywork when the engine vibrates in eco mode. Unfortunately its something you can't check while driving so have a look around the engine bay for potential rattle candidates and tie them up in a process of elimination.

When my car goes to eco mode it is completely undetectable. All I see is the icon come up on the screen.

I do drive with the windows up though, which may be the reason I'm not hearing anything.

Eco mode allows the car to coast. Running in 2 cylinder mode is something else and it makes no noise. It only uses 2 cylinders and the two shut down rely on the bounce of the air on them to compensate for not actually being used. You'd not know it was doing anything. Had the same engine in an Audi for 3 years and since October 2017 in the Superb.

Sounds like an issue with your car,

• 2 months later...

Hi guys. I have a Skoda Superb III, December 2017. I have 15.500 km with it. Today I noticed some weird noises while running on the freeway. 

You can hear the noise in the video. When I lift the foot of the gas it almost disapears and when I accelerate and leave 2 cylinder mode it goes away completely. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi, I have the exact same noise as described by fabbro. I have a seat leon dsg 1.4 tsi and when in 2 cylinder mode it makes the noise and gear change is noticibly louder/clunky. Can drive along in 4th feathering the accelerator and the noise is constant.Seat changed the clutch pack but the noise is still present, the mechanic is looking into weather other cars are making this noise, would be interesting to find out what it is before warranty is out. Any one else had any luck?

I have had this engine and gearbox in two cars now - this Superb and an Audi A3. I do not experience this noise and in 2 cylinder mode gear changes is just as smooth and quiet as when in 4 cylinder mode.