Glow plug light flashing and Engine warning light on.

Hi,

The other day my Fabia's glow plug light started flashing and the car went into 'limp mode'. Having pulled over and turned the engine off to look under the bonnet, the glow plug light remained off when the car re-started and it didnt come on again.

However, today tue glownplug light started flashing but the engine warning light alao came on. Again, I pulled over and had a look under the bonnet just to see if there was anything obvious - there wasnt. Starring the car again, no glow plug warning light but now the engine warning light remains on.

The car accelerates fine, no odd noises like knocking or grinding when idle or driving. Starts without issue. It had a new EGR valve several months ago (fitted by Skoda in Warrington) and had a service a month or so before that. Its also had new turbo pressure sensors and had its DPF re-generated by Skoda.

Any idea why this glow plug/engine warning light issue has started?

Glow plug light just flashes, but doesnt remain on when you turnthe key to the 1st position. Recently filled it up at ASDA, if thats any help.

Hi, almost same story for me. Have Fabia TDI 1.6, 11 plate, had from new and service every year through Skoda franchise, done 40k miles. For a month, the glow light picture comes on, says there is an Engine fault, and loses power which is most noticable on the motorway. Fault diagnostic equipment says it is the P0403 code  - the EGR valve short to plus failure. No recall date letter yet re the emissions update, quote to repair is between £700-£900 which we haven't got and is a known fault. The light goes out when you turn the engine off and on again, but it happens every journey. Looking to bypass EGR and DPF if cannot do any cheaper as this option is long term solution and much cheaper (and more common) 

• 8 months later...

Hi,
I have the same issues with my Fabia 1.6 12 plate car. initially glow plug was occasionally flashing on motorway. I had once engine management light which went of itself next morning. I took to a local garage and they couldn't figure out what was wrong. they just did full service and put some diesel additive. Then took to a different garage and they said the turbo need to be replaced and unfortunately I accepted and spent a fortune.

Guess what, the warning light is still flashing but now even in 30MPH or less drive. I phoned up skoda asking whether it is a common issue for NOX emission affected cars. They sent me a reply saying nothing to do with it.  

I would like to know if you have sorted the issue and how and also like to know if you cars were related to NOX emission issues? 

Thank you for your help. 

i have a 2010 fabia 1.6 diesel whch has had its glowplug light flashing and engine management light on for a little while. i took it to my local skoda garage for a diagnostic. it turned out to be an exhaust gas temperature sensor S3. now all of a sudden both lights have gone out on there own accord. so now am not sure what to do as i have not had it fixed as such

Hi, mine is fabia 1.2 Ambi 2011(India), recently I noticed flashing engine light in my car, can anyone tell what could be the issue like , its rpm drops whenever I accelerate, and jerks a lot when I starts the engine.iam in a fix .

3 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Hi, mine is fabia 1.2 Ambi 2011(India), recently I noticed flashing engine light in my car, can anyone tell what could be the issue like , its rpm drops whenever I accelerate, and jerks a lot when I starts the engine.iam in a fix .

missfire ? stretched timing chain? could be a hold host of things 

• 1 month later...

Having issues like this. I am told its the air mass meter so thats being replaced hopefully tomorrow. Keep looking!

I had the exact same issue a couple of years ago with my 1.6 105 TDI.

Same warning lights. Was the exhaust temp sensor as mentioned before. Thankfully I was just within the 3 year warranty period so didn't have a fork out to have it replaced

Got new air mass meter fitted. Also temp repair on a cracked pipe until a new one arrives. Done the job. Light out, car running well.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
On 30/07/2016 at 11:14, Tech1e said:

Until you get the fault codes read it's anyone's guess but mine is a exhaust temp sensor, more than likely number 3.

Hi i have a 05 vrs on 153 k miles with lots of invoices it is running a stage 2 at approx 200 bhp or over?...10 months its been fine it did have a bigger turbo fitted 1 year ago and bigger front mount hardpipes egr delete and cat delete straight through exhaust and was remapped. Now it wont go passed 4k rpm goes into limp mode going upto 4k revs..eml is on and glowplug lamp is flashing...any ideas? 

Edited by Sleeper200

Having the same troubles as mentioned, diagnostic points to EGR valve. Having recently had the car serviced should this not have picked up in the diagnostics history? It had been intermittent but is now regular. Is there a cheap fix for this? I have always taken the car to Skoda for service, it's a 2011 plate ~56,000, I am loathed to pay out what I have heard is a huge sum for replacement having been sold the car on reliability and performance, any advice would be appreciated.

Does more damage occur if you continue to run the car in 'limp' mode?

I had 3 of these while I had my 1.6tdi. 1st was faulty O2 sensor. 2nd was faulty EGR valve. Skoda dealer told me this would be £700 if not covered by the warranty. 3rd was an exhaust gas temperature sensor. Then I had enough and chopped it in for an older 1.9tdi. All problems diagnosed by Skoda dealer. You probably need to bite the bullet and pay the £60 to do this and take it from there.

Modern diesels need to have long journeys to properly regenerate the DPF. If you do mostly short journeys you need a petrol or an old DPF free diesel. 

http://www.dpfproblems.net/cars-without-a-dpf/

My 10 plate 1.6cr had just exhibited these exact same symptoms. Started with the dpf light being on, something that has happened occasionally when I've done a few days without a long journey. Then the glow plug light began to flash, and the engine light came on. The dpf light had gone out now, but the others haven't.

Anybody got a link to a suitable diagnostic thingy? And am I damaging the car by continuing to drive it? I'm trying to stick to longer journeys only, and I haven't noticed any loss of power out rough running (not since the dpf light went back out).