Progressive steering

is it the same system which is found in the octy vs mk3 where the steering gets faster when going slow? making going round a hairpin on an alp a lot easier... or being boring and parking in tescos :/ if so it may be able to be activated via VCDS 

I may be wrong but it's a trick that vw like to pull a lot. I doubt for 138eur they are going to fit a whole different steering rack. Much more likely is they fit all the same kit and then code it in when the car ships. I guess you could try and find a part number for the steering rack and see if there is more than one available to choose from

hmm i'm not sure then, I guess 138eur on top of the price of the car isn't going to add much really but people on the octy threads seem to like the progressive system. have a search :)

SWMBO has a vRS with progressive system. The few times I've used it I like it a lot. It's a shame the Superb couldn't have it from the off as it would make hasty 3 point turns a cinch!

Is the Skoda system the same as the Audi system, where it physically changes the ratio via a clever little box of tricks halfway down the steering column? or is completely managed by the electric steering rack? If the former, forget it as a software tweak. 

Judging by the Octavia reviews I've looked at, it's a variable ratio steering rack (ratio increases with steering angle) so no chance of coding.  This and sports suspension sounds like a nice option and very good value.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently tried to use the online configurator (in Sweden) and found out that If I spec a Superb L&K 4x4 DSG 190hp I will not get the choice of opting for progressive steering. But if I however try a similar configuration but with a Style I get the option... Strange..

I recently tried to use the online configurator (in Sweden) and found out that If I spec a Superb L&K 4x4 DSG 190hp I will not get the choice of opting for progressive steering. But if I however try a similar configuration but with a Style I get the option... Strange..

Because it is not available with dcc for some reason. At least Lithuanian L&K ar dcc only.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Digging out a topic from the past, but I ordered a Style spec Superb a few days ago, with both DCC and the Progressive steering option. It seems to be an option to combine both in the Belgian configurator for MY2018, it wasn't before.

I wonder whether it'll arrive as configured then. If not, I just might have a word or two with the salesman :)

I have progressive steering and sport suspension and worth every penny... these two optionals were the two missing ingredients for this car to be perfect :).

handles very nice low input to steering and high response so lower effort to drive harder, easier to steer to a twisty road and ofc because of the suspension no more boat ride... just perfect and you don t feel it hard at all and i have a small kid so i am careful with these things.

• 4 years later...

I have "Speed-related variable steering (servotronic)" and DCC. Is that the same as "progressive steering"?