First question, Light Assist

Had my new SEL Executive for less than a week so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I do not seem able to activate the Light Assist function which should be included on this model.

Attached is a screenshot of the settings page and there is no activate/deactivate tick box against Light Assist.

I made sure I wasn't in Eco mode and checked all the other pre-requisites in the manual, but cannot get the "auto" light on.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

post-146544-0-24727600-1470568947_thumb.jpeg

When you refer to Light Assist, are you talking about the headlights coming on automatically in the dark? 

You see, there's Light Assist with main beam control that pops the main beam on and off by itself, and there's Smart Light Assist which blocks bits of the main beam off to prevent dazzling oncoming traffic. These are optional BTW. 

The normal Light Assist is standard from SE upwards. You have that due to the presence of the light assistance switch-on time, which adjusts the threshold at the which the lights come on automatically, provided the headlight switch is set to Auto. To switch them off, set the light switch to off. 

Edited by dstev2000

Attached is a screenshot of the settings page and there is no activate/deactivate tick box against Light Assist.

That's because "Light assistance" is a heading to group the following options, just like "Interior lighting" if you scroll down.

You obviously have Bi-Xenon lights as you have the Drive on the right/left option.

It does look as if you don't have either Light Assist nor Dynamic Light Assist (as described by dstev2000 above) as this would appear as the first switchable option under the Light assistance heading.

Some of the Skoda lingo can be a bit confusing at times. They've excelled themselves with the description of the various lighting assistance systems that are available across the model range. 

Do you have the camera situated on the windscreen (above the mirror) if so then it can be coded with VCDS.

The camera is in the clear triangle surrounded by the blacked out part of the screen:

After%206_zps65c3ldlj.jpg

Ahh, I do. But I have no idea what VCDS is. I assume I should ask my dealer to sort it.

Appreciate the response.

Dealers do not use VCDS, there are a number of users on this forum that do though, use the link in Gizmo68's response above to find someone near you, a word of warning though, look for someone that has experience in coding on a Superb 3 as it would appear that they can be quite involved!

Edited by Prykey

Ahh, I do. But I have no idea what VCDS is. I assume I should ask my dealer to sort it.

VCDS is a third-party cable/software that allows you to access the electronic heart of the car, namely the CanBus and the ECU. Virtually every electrical component in the car is connected to the CanBus and the processor that controls it all.

With VCDS you can modify the settings in the CanBus processor or monitor the engine performance through the ECU.

Some options require specific hardware to be present. In the case of the Light Assist you need the camera fitted, as this is what is used to detect the front and rear lights of other vehicles. That's why Gizmo was asking if you had the camera fitted.

Had my new SEL Executive for less than a week so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I do not seem able to activate the Light Assist function which should be included on this model.

This is not included. It is a cost option (£250 last time I checked) for both the SE and SE-L models.

Don't get it confused with AFS (Adaptive Front-light System), which is standard with all Bi-Xenon equipped models. AFS adapts the headlamp beams according to your speed and steering. Small motors adjust the bulb position to give the best beam pattern for the circumstances.

It also allows the dipped beam to be altered from driving on the left to driving on the right, as shown in the menu in your screen photo. It is actually excess to requirement as the beam will switch automatically when you drive on the continent.

AFS does not auto-switch between dipped and main beams.

On the assumption that you didn't specify and pay for the Light Assist option, you will be highly unlikely to get it enabled by the dealer.

The dealer uses a VAG analyser that is linked to the main Skoda server where all the details of your car are stored. It simply won't allow items like Light Assist to be enabled if you didn't pay for it in the first place.

All is not lost. Use Gizmo's VCDS Owners Map signature or use this link to find a VCDS owner in your vicinity, then send them a PM to ask if they can enable Light Assist for you (instructions on how-to are in this link).

• Like 1

Thanks BillyJim, most comprehensive.

Cleared up my question, and you are right, I was confused between what AFS does and what Light Assist should do.

I am not worried about getting what I haven't paid for, just making sure that I do have what i should have.

Cheers

• 2 months later...

So just to clarify code PNG is the smart light assist code and includes Blind Spot Detection, Lane Assist, the extra LED lights and the additional functionality above xenon with AFS and auto main beam on/off, correct? £950 option on SEL Exec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apart from the lights moving left and right, I can't say that I've noticed the light pattern changing on my AFS. Is it noticable?

Edited by Devonshiredave

Apart from the lights moving left and right, I can't say that I've noticed the light pattern changing on my AFS. Is it noticable?

On mine it is very noticeable on narrow, country lanes...kinda spooky really.

• Like 1

Don't forget that you have the switch it on by moving the stalk forward and you get the confirmation that it is on in your instrument cluster.

Mine seems to work really well although when I first experienced them I thought my eyes were going funny lol 

Am I correct in thinking a standard L&K will have the required camera? I've been looking at a few on AutoTrader and they all seem to have the camera on the windscreen, but I can't see any mention of any of the options that would require it being fitted, so I assume one of the "standard options" on the L&K does.

• Like 1

Don't forget that you have the switch it on by moving the stalk forward and you get the confirmation that it is on in your instrument cluster.

Mine seems to work really well although when I first experienced them I thought my eyes were going funny lol

I'm getting rather confused now, and it looks as if I'm not alone on this one. Have I got this right?

Auto lights is when the car determines when you require dipped beam on rather than DRL's, as the ambient light level falls and will put the lights on if the wipers are activated for longer than 30 seconds.

Then there's "Light assist" where the car will pop main beam on and off. Now this is where I get confused. Dynamic lighting will keep main beam on and mask the light pattern to avoid dazzling oncoming and tailed traffic. So what is Adaptive front lighting supposed to do?

I watched the Hella video on YouTube and as far as my eyes are concerned, I don't see any variation other than the beam sweeping left and right round corners. I thought that was supposed to change with speed etc?

Am I right in thinking Light assist can be coded if you have the camera which mine does (L & K) but Dynamic can't as it has additional hardware installed at the time of build?

Simply clever? No, simply confusing.

I'm wondering if I've missed something now. I didn't think the light stalk did any more than high beam up and down for the lights? Don't think I've ever seen anything on the cluster either. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Am I correct in thinking a standard L&K will have the required camera? I've been looking at a few on AutoTrader and they all seem to have the camera on the windscreen, but I can't see any mention of any of the options that would require it being fitted, so I assume one of the "standard options" on the L&K does.

The L & K has the camera. I had Traffic Sign Recognition enabled and find it very helpful. Apart from when it shows the 100 speed sign. Not sure if it throws a wobbly and goes all metric or if thinks we have covert 100 mph sections of road!

The L & K has the camera. I had Traffic Sign Recognition enabled and find it very helpful. Apart from when it shows the 100 speed sign. Not sure if it throws a wobbly and goes all metric or if thinks we have covert 100 mph sections of road!

Thanks for that Dave. What is fitted to the L&K that brings the camera? I was looking on the configurator last night and all the things that needed it seemed to be options.

It is the traffic sign recognition that I would like to get. My Passat has it and I think it is a good feature. The L&K Superb I'm getting next week does not have it (well not activated at least).

I'm wondering if I've missed something now. I didn't think the light stalk did any more than high beam up and down for the lights? Don't think I've ever seen anything on the cluster either. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Look in the Owners Manual for "Headlamp Assistant (Light Assist / Dynamic Light Assist)" in mine its page 72, the description on how to turn it on/off follows on page 73.

The camera is required for:

Lane assist

Smart Light Assist 

Traffic Sign Recognition

There may be more options but this is from the top of my head.

You check if you have the high beam assist:

Turn light switch to ‘Auto’ push stalk as if turning on main beam, you will now get the symbol of a headlight with an “A” inside it on the bottom of the maxidot screen, you need to enable it everytime you turn the light off Auto

maxresdefault.jpg

My car has Smart Light Assist (additional 7 LED ‘eyelash’ strips in each headlight) and it is VERY noticeable when they are working!

Right, but Smart Light Assist, like Travel Assist, is an option on the L&K, so I don't see why they would be fitting the camera unless either of those options are specified?