dipped headlights symbol?

But there is nothing to tell you if it's sidelights or dipped beam. Just the sidelight symbol that lights up.

The green symbol means the dipped lights are on... Auto lights don't turn on the sidelights on their own

The green symbol means the dipped lights are on... Auto lights don't turn on the sidelights on their own

The only symbol of mine that lights up is the sidelight symbol just to the right of "off". When I move the switch to main beam (actually dipped) the sidelight symbol remains lit, but the main beam symbol does not light.

As said before, when I go from dipped to main, the speeometer symbol lights up but the switch one still does not.

But there is nothing to tell you if it's sidelights or dipped beam. Just the sidelight symbol that lights up.

But why would the Auto light put the side lights on? They're only for parking not actually driving with, that's what dipped headlights are for.

The only symbol of mine that lights up is the sidelight symbol just to the right of "off". When I move the switch to main beam (actually dipped) the sidelight symbol remains lit, but the main beam symbol does not light.

As said before, when I go from dipped to main, the speeometer symbol lights up but the switch one still does not.

When you move the lights to on you have switched it yourself so why do you need a warning light?

When you put main beam on there is a warning light as it's law, this warns you of dazzling other drivers just like the fog lights have a warning.

The auto lights will only ever turn them fully on or off seeing as the sidelights are for parking not driving so again where is the problem?

When you move the lights to on you have switched it yourself so why do you need a warning light?

When you put main beam on there is a warning light as it's law, this warns you of dazzling other drivers just like the fog lights have a warning.

The auto lights will only ever turn them fully on or off seeing as the sidelights are for parking not driving so again where is the problem?

I never said it was a problem, so much as an odd way to do things. If the sidelight symbol lights up when you turn the switch to it, one would expect the main lights symbol to light up when you turn the switch to it - like just about every other car I've ever had.

My original post was that because the symbol remained off I thought there was something wrong with it. If it isn't meant to light up, fine, so there's nothing wrong with it - except for being rather a screwy design idea............

I never said it was a problem, so much as an odd way to do things. If the sidelight symbol lights up when you turn the switch to it, one would expect the main lights symbol to light up when you turn the switch to it - like just about every other car I've ever had.

My original post was that because the symbol remained off I thought there was something wrong with it. If it isn't meant to light up, fine, so there's nothing wrong with it - except for being rather a screwy design idea............

I don't know I've never had a car with a light up switch before (other than generic dash illumination that comes on with the lights) and only a few of them have had a light up warning on the dash for dipped beam.

Still if you didn't think the switch worked properly then reading the manual would have cleared this up.

It's a bad design, plain and simple. Cost cutting, oversight, too much faith in technology? Who know's, who really cares, a backwards step either way.

Headlights are often needed during day light hours. Those saying that if the road isn't lit up then you know your lights aren't on need to think before typing.

The sat nav screen background goes black when the lights are on. Great if you have sat nav, not if you don't.

Just look down at the switch. Easy enough but you are taking your eyes off the road. If it isn't dark inside the car then the light is even harder to see (on my Superb it is obscured by the steering wheel anyway).

This worked perfectly, in your line of sight, done for years. Like I said, an unnecessary backward step...

article-1087053-02621B21000005DC-248_468

Like I said, not a major issue, I won't loose any sleep, I'm attentive enough when driving to turn my own lights on and off when needed.

However, what is an issue for me is the amount of people driving around in poor visibility without suitable lights on, perhaps those who are less attentive that would actually benefit from a dash light.

I'm assuming they put too much trust in technology, are lazy, are simply a bit daft or just don't care.

Edited by silver1011

I'm sure they have simply removed it as it's unnecessary and to declutter the dash so when a warning light comes on that's actually worth worrying about it attracts the drivers attention.

My wife's car has no indication at all if the lights are on or off in auto or manual as it's just not needed. Newer cars that separate the interior illumination from the exterior illumination have a tell tail light for auto just like yours does but its simple and on the switch.

Most of the cars i see driving in poor vis with no lights on are old cars that are very unlikely to have auto lights... If I'm remotely concerned that my auto lights might not have activated in fog then a quick glance at the switch informs me.

Vag cars have been like this for a long time and I'm sure Skoda is just coming more inline with vw who's switches have been like this since 2006 possibly earlier?

Comparing my MkII dash to my MkIII dash it is the newer car that is more cluttered. Many more features and therefore much more information to communicate.

Give me a headlight icon over the gear change indicator any day.

You can keep the 'take a break' message too.

Stop start too.

Given the huge adjustability and personalisation options in the new car being able to turn the dash indicator on or off would have been nice.

On for those who want it, off for those who don't need it.

It's not big and it isn't bright (I had in my MkII and still have it in my Superb). For the reasons already mentioned it isn't redundant either. But each to their own.

The beep and the huge picture of a steaming cup of tea scared me half to death yesterday. About as subtle as an out of control freight train. I suppose you could argue it served it's purpose, I didn't fall asleep, I just **** myself instead.

No dipped headlight indicator did that before.

I don't know I've never had a car with a light up switch before (other than generic dash illumination that comes on with the lights) and only a few of them have had a light up warning on the dash for dipped beam.

Still if you didn't think the switch worked properly then reading the manual would have cleared this up.

Read the manual? You need to take a 3 week holiday for this manual!  

Every third word is

"WARNING! READ THE DAILY MAIL BEFORE OPENING THIS BOOK!"

or

"WARNING! OPEN THE DOOR BEFORE WALKING THROUGH IT!" or something.

All I can find is that #21 on the picture of the instruments is the light switch. Well, thanks, I knew that.

It does say that the (high) main beam will light up its symbol [on the speedometer]. I knew that too.

I can't find a reference  either that the switch dial symbol will light for side lights or that it will not light for dipped lights.

• Like 1

Read the manual? You need to take a 3 week holiday for this manual!

Every third word is

"WARNING! READ THE DAILY MAIL BEFORE OPENING THIS BOOK!"

or

"WARNING! OPEN THE DOOR BEFORE WALKING THROUGH IT!" or something.

All I can find is that #21 on the picture of the instruments is the light switch. Well, thanks, I knew that.

It does say that the (high) main beam will light up its symbol [on the speedometer]. I knew that too.

I can't find a reference either that the switch dial symbol will light for side lights or that it will not light for dipped lights.

Manual clearly states on page 57 of mine under automatic driving lamp control "if the light switch is in position AUTO, then the symbol AUTO lights up next to the light switch. If the light is switched on automatically, the symbol (parking light symbol) next to the light switch also lights up"

They have to go through many warnings etc in manuals to cover their own arses as people like to blame their incompetence on the manuals.

The switch symbol is for side lights but on "Auto" the side lights only come on together with the dipped beam. "Auto" will not turn on only the side lights, it switches between no lights (or DRL, depending on settings) and dipped beam.

Manual clearly states on page 57 of mine under automatic driving lamp control "if the light switch is in position AUTO, then the symbol AUTO lights up next to the light switch. If the light is switched on automatically, the symbol (parking light symbol) next to the light switch also lights up"

They have to go through many warnings etc in manuals to cover their own arses as people like to blame their incompetence on the manuals.

Ah, now my incompetence has been explained.

Contrary to the 10 million word manual,  my lighting switch does not have an Auto position - just off, sides and mains.

Must smack my hand for not realising my model does not have auto lighting (Thank God!),

nor does it have a V8, tail fin or rocket launcher...must read the manual more carefully to see what else is not mentioned..................

Ok so you don't have auto lights then you have turned them on with the switch why do you need a warning light to tell you if they are on or not...

The manual does also state if the switch fails the dipped lights will come on so that's no an issue.

Some people just like to pick fault with everything

Ok so you don't have auto lights then you have turned them on with the switch why do you need a warning light to tell you if they are on or not...

The manual does also state if the switch fails the dipped lights will come on so that's no an issue.

Some people just like to pick fault with everything

The whole point of my original post was to wonder if the indicator symbol SHOULD be illuminated when selected.

As the sidelight symbol does illuminate when selected, and the main beam ones does not, I queried whether something had gone wrong with the switch circuitry, and ought to be checked out.

I was informed that, no, the main beam symbol (on the switch) does NOT come on when selected.

I don't think it is particularly strange to query whether that failure to light was a fault, and should be checked out.

As it turns out, this is apparently not a fault, even if it is a bit odd. Go figure.

Because if it's dark you'll know the lights are on as you'll be able to see what's in front.

And if it's daylight ?, eg poor visibility?

I'm beginning to play devil's advocate here, sorry, but I do think Skoda have spoiled the ship for a ha'porth of tar

K

• Like 1

The whole point of my original post was to wonder if the indicator symbol SHOULD be illuminated when selected.

As the sidelight symbol does illuminate when selected, and the main beam ones does not, I queried whether something had gone wrong with the switch circuitry, and ought to be checked out.

I was informed that, no, the main beam symbol (on the switch) does NOT come on when selected.

I don't think it is particularly strange to query whether that failure to light was a fault, and should be checked out.

As it turns out, this is apparently not a fault, even if it is a bit odd. Go figure.

It does seem a bit odd to let you know your side lights are on but not your headlights when having manual lights... probably be less confusing with no warning Edited by V6Jules

And if it's daylight ?, eg poor visibility?

I'm beginning to play devil's advocate here, sorry, but I do think Skoda have spoiled the ship for a ha'porth of tar

K

If you have auto lights you can check by looking at the switch

If you have manual lights then you know as you have switched them on or off yourself

All the switch tells you is you have turned the switch to the position you hope will turn on the lights!

Which is all an indicator light will do as well, since it won't tell you if the bulbs are actually lit.

• Like 1