dipped headlights symbol?

When I turn on my sidelights the small symbol on the switch dial lights up correctly.

When I turn to main lights (dipped), that symbol on the dial does not light. up.

When I turn from dipped to main bean, the symbol on the speedo dial does light up.

The lights themselves work correctly all the time.

Does this mean a fuse controlling the light switch symbol has blown?

If that is probably so, which fuse is it and where does it live?

Or on second thoughts could it be the symbol bulb or LED itself?

Edited by ednmra

How odd!          Still so long as it is ok - funny I never noticed it before..............

................back to sleep......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

However it is, unfortunately, how it's supposed to work.

And how it works on most VAG cars - it was exactly the same on my previous car, a 2007 Audi RS4.

The only legal requirement for warning lights about lights is for headlamp main beam and rear fog lamps - all other lights about lights(!) are at the discretion of the manufacturer.

And how it works on most VAG cars - it was exactly the same on my previous car, a 2007 Audi RS4.

The only legal requirement for warning lights about lights is for headlamp main beam and rear fog lamps - all other lights about lights(!) are at the discretion of the manufacturer.

Well, I didn't know that...thanks :) 

Still, I'm in the "It's unacceptable! I want a headlight light to tell me when the lights lit!" crowd  :p

I tend to have my touchscreen set to the navigation display, regardless of whether I am using it, for exactly this reason.

White background to map = lights off

Black background to map = lights on

• Like 1

I tend to have my touchscreen set to the navigation display, regardless of whether I am using it, for exactly this reason.

Is that the case though, the Nav on mine changes from night to day based on ambient light inside the car, not whether the headlights are on or not.

Is that the case though, the Nav on mine changes from night to day based on ambient light inside the car, not whether the headlights are on or not.

I have the auto-on headlamps, and the nav screen day/night switching is definitely happening at the same time as auto lights on/off.

My MK2 lit up the dipped headlight symbol on the dash and on the dial.

My MK2 lit up the dipped headlight symbol on the dash and on the dial.

I'm pretty sure mine did too. Seems an odd thing to leave out, especially as the symbol is there anyway?

My Audi RS4 didn't, as there wasn't even a dipped headlight symbol on the dash.

Not having one in the dash is one thing.

Not having it light up on a switch is another.

I'm sure you are supposed to have a tell tale for dipped beam in the car.

Regardless of that, the saving of a single LED from the headlight switch is frankly a complete joke and penny pinching at it's worse.

Just like the MK3 Octavia, no longer having a blind spot mirror.

Safety doesn't matter when you can save a few pence.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Smartlink works the same way... Google Maps has the white background when lights are off and the black background when lights are on. The ambient light in the cabin has no impact on the display.

With the lights on Auto, the switch symbol lights up green when the lights are on.

^^^ THIS

This thread is redundant, surely.

Why not use the "auto" function if it's available?

It's liking having cruise control and never using it.

The technology is there; just flip the switch to Auto and forget about your lights.

Auto lights are OK but where I live, in the New Forest, driving along a tree lined road, in bright sunshine, with deep shadows, your lights are on and off like a Belisha beacon and can confuse drivers waiting to pull into traffic or turn right across your path.

• Like 1

Smartlink works the same way... Google Maps has the white background when lights are off and the black background when lights are on. The ambient light in the cabin has no impact on the display.

It's a pain when the lights are on because it's raining.

The technology is there; just flip the switch to Auto and forget about your lights.

But sometimes the lights come on when you don't need them and, much worse, sometimes don't come on when you do need them. Edited by Rodge

But sometimes the lights come on when you don't need them and, much worse, sometimes don't come on when you do need them.

Yes, I'm getting a bit fed up with automatic this, that and the other. I want to drive my own car, driven by me, not by a robot system that might be okay sometimes, and then, a second later, drive you under a truck. An important part of driving on our often congested roads is being alert and aware of what's going on, and knowing exactly what to switch on and off when you need to.

Makes you wonder if the hi-tech age is what produces the idiots who are playing with their phones or i-pads or whatever while going around a busy roundabout?

The beauty being though, you don't have to use the automatic systems. They all have manual overrides.

I don't see the symbol as an issue personally. I know my lights are on because the road and objects ahead are illuminated. If I can't see anything, they're not on. My lights are on auto but if there is a time I want them on and the car hasn't activated them, I rotate the switch. It really is that simple. In the words of Neil Buchanan, try it yourself.

• Like 1

I thought you must have your lights on by law when it is raining? If you can't see more than 100 metres (what do you do, get out with a tape measure???)

Or has that been dropped now due to global warming, or dazzling polar bears, or.................

Edited by ednmra

So why add an LED to the switch for dipped beam?