VRS Lights

Sorry, I know this has been done to death but after reading several threads I can't seem to find the answer.

LED DRL's on all the time (albeit slightly dimmer with dipped beam).  My headlight unit has side light bulbs in it that are wired up to the loom.  Is there a way to code them to be used as side lights instead of the DRLs and for them to turn off with dipped beam like all other Fabia's (and cars for that matter).

I cannot stand chav buffoons that drive round with fog lights on when it is not required (the stupidity required is a kin to driving with wipers on full on a hot sunny day) so it infuriates me that it now looks like I am doing the same!!

Thanks,

The answer is that it is unlikely that the bulb in the headlight is wired for use as Sidelights and if it is use it then, 

and no need to have the DRL's on or enabled and no need to have as sidelights.

You can have the bulbs work in the headlight unit and maybe a previous owner had that done.

You can then have the DRL / Sidelight units replaced with Fog Lights.

Others have this.

An auto electrician did it for me.

As far as others with similar DRL / Sidelight dimmer units you will see Volvo and Porsche models with the same units and Sidelights that look like Fog or Driving lights when Dipped & Full Beam are on.

Edited by GoneOffSKi

The mk2 vrs was pretty much cobbled together from the VAG parts bin. Either the DRLS were a last minute addition or they were just too lazy to make a new headlamp bezel without a sidelight bulb.

The bulb is there simply so there isn't a gaping hole

That's what I thought, but then I found it is wired into the loom, surely therefore it can turned on?

I take it, finding the sidelight feed, cutting it from the drl and splicing into that feed would be too simple?

First you will need to get out the Blue Dummy Bulbs that are in there, if they still are, if not and they are clear bulbs then maybe someone did the changes or partly did.

If it was simple many would have done it.

Let us know how you get on once you check what has power to where and get the bulbs working.

Or maybe put FlyEye over the Sidelights where they are and make them less obvious,

or as i used to do and get flamed i had half of the sidelights covered and this also gave some protection to the lights.

I still broke several though.

Er, the W5W side lights do stay on with dipped and main beam; it's just uncomfortable to look close enough to see them!

Oh and AIUI if you can get them working then it's legal to have the chav LEDs disabled.

How do dummy bulbs in the Headlight unit of a Mk2 Fabia vRS stay on with the Dipped or Full beam.

Is is electricery?

Have you actually seen this happen?

Have you tried switch on just Sidelights and no Dipped or Full Beam, 

odd that if you do they are not on!

Edited by GoneOffSKi

First you will need to get out the Blue Dummy Bulbs that are in there, if they still are, if not and they are clear bulbs then maybe someone did the changes or partly did.

If it was simple many would have done it.

Let us know how you get on once you check what has power to where and get the bulbs working.

Or maybe put FlyEye over the Sidelights where they are and make them less obvious,

or as i used to do and get flamed i had half of the sidelights covered and this also gave some protection to the lights.

I still broke several though.

I have fly eyed mine. Very easy to do and compliments the black parts.

How do dummy bulbs in the Headlight unit of a Mk2 Fabia vRS stay on with the Dipped or Full beam.

Is is electricery?

Have you actually seen this happen?

Have you tried switch on just Sidelights and no Dipped or Full Beam, 

odd that if you do they are not on!

I was answering the OP, who seemed to believe that the front sidelights on cars that don't have chav LEDs are only "on" when the light switch is in the "sidelights only" position.

I was answering the OP, who seemed to believe that the front sidelights on cars that don't have chav LEDs are only "on" when the light switch is in the "sidelights only" position.

If you mean me, I don't think that at all....

If I'm right you won't be able to wire in them blue sides because car runs on a canbus system the drl only draw a tiny bit of current because there led's so if you wired in the 5w they will pull more current than drl and it will all okay havoc with body control module And through error up on dash

You can turn off the DRL's with the switch in the fuse box. As far as I know the side lights are fake as mentioned above. No idea if you can get these on though, unless you're good at wiring electrics.

The switch only turns the DRLs off when the headlights and sidelights are off I.e in the daytime. You can turn the switch off but the DRLs will come back on when you select sidelights or dipped beam as they are performing the 'sidelight bulb' function.

FWIW I think the OP should just leave things as they are. Who cares if people think you have fogs on? Give them a flash and wave back if they do this. They are are only displaying their own ignorance of the situation :-)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I'm curious reading about the side lights in this thread. I'd have the DRLs on all the time - looks nice. Though I don't have my Fabia vRS yet I was considering replacing the side lights in it (if they work)next to the headlights with LEDs like I have in my current citigo- it looks great. Would this be possible as I'm sure these are W5Ws as well?

The DRL unit that you say you will want on all the time will be on unless you switch off,  then on as sidelights or when the headlights ar on,

they will be on all the time with the headlights, the unit is DRL's (Daylight / Daytime lights) then the same lights but less bright as the Sidelights.

They are not near the Headlights, they are where people expect fog lights to be and where people mistake the LED sidelights as having on fog lights.

(The blue bulb in the headlight is a dummy bulb so you can not put an LED in there.)

Edited by Offski

Noted regarding the DRLs where fog lights usually are. I was aware these are always on.

in the current car manual it nots there could be two separate bulbs in the fog light/DRL unit. One bulb for DRLs and one for seperate fog lights.

is this true?

i don't know yet if the bulbs I mentioned yet in the sidelight position (by the low beam headlight) is wired or not as I don't have the car yet. So as you mentioned it may we'll be a dummy bulb - strange thing to do mind....

are the main and low beam H7s easy to change?

Edited by CitigoCuti

Not strange. they used a headlight unit they had, so stuck a dummy bulb where a bulb holder is.

As to 2 bulbs in the Fog Light / DRL unit,  there is no Fog Light / DRL unit on a MK2 Fabia vRS so no there is not 2 bulbs, (there might be in other Fabia including the Monte Carlo.)

There is just a DRL/ Sidelight / Parking Light Unit.  No Front Fog lights on a Mk2 vRS unless a coversion was done.  (LGM has on his car.)

43 minutes ago, Offski said:

Not strange. they used a headlight unit they had, so stuck a dummy bulb where a bulb holder is.

As to 2 bulbs in the Fog Light / DRL unit,  there is no Fog Light / DRL unit on a MK2 Fabia vRS so no there is not 2 bulbs, (there might be in other Fabia including the Monte Carlo.)

There is just a DRL/ Sidelight / Parking Light Unit.  No Front Fog lights on a Mk2 vRS unless a coversion was done.  (LGM has on his car.)

On the VRS I purchased the DRLs are on in the photo - looks like a 4 bulb LED light in each side and in my 2014 Fabia brochure here it states the vRS has LED DRLs which are located where the fog lights normally are in the front. Am I getting my wires crossed here? 

IMG_5165.JPG