DPF Message

I've been in the new job for eight weeks now and my commute is minimal (although it is further than I first thought!).  It's now about 30 miles a week rather than the 400 I used to do.  The car has had a few big journeys but its every other week and this morning I got the DPF message on the dash.  I'll be taking it for a longer drive tonight on the way home, but just wanted to know if anyone else has had the message and did a long driver (30 minutes and I'll hold it in 4th at about 2k revs) cure the problem?

I guess I need to start seriously considering what I will do with the car now, problem is I still really like the car!!  Swaps anyone - TDI DSG for a TSI DSG??

According to the manual 4-5 (automatic D/S) gear for at least 15 mins, rev range 1800-2500, speed at least 70km/h till its off.

If the other lamp is lid with the sign of heating injectors then calling the service to force a regeneration.

It's bad for me,always caring, its my first and maybe last diesel.

Keep us posted.

Edited by fallenfbsd

I read that in manual as well, just thought I'd ask if anyone has actually done it and cleared it.  Car is actually booked in for the DSG service next week anyway.

I too am a low mileage driver - getting a little concerned as I thought VW has nailed the DPF issue with the latest design - the link below might help you

http://www.hypermiler.co.uk/dpf-diesel-particulate-filter/skoda-octavia-iii-2013-diesel-particulate-filter-dpf-owners-manual-regeneration-faq

Don't blame VW or any other car manufacturer. What we're trying to achieve is to get what is basically a 19th century technology engine to comply with the latest emission requirements. Until cars have a new and revolutionary clean power unit this isn't going to go away. Diesels are good for high mileage drivers, but those who don't really are better off with a petrol at the moment.

The DPF lamp comes on to warn the driver that a regeneration is required, and usually because a passive regeneration hasn't been possible because of short journeys. As the car gets older and the DPF gets blocked with ash this is likely to happen more and more, unless you start using the car more suitably to extend the life of it.

OK, so a nice long drive home (or a quick blast up the A3) has resulted in the message and triangle warning going away. 70mph held in 5th for 20 minutes.  To be fair after about 10 minutes it all cleared but I thought I'd carry on just to make sure.  Let's see how long it stays away for before I interupt the next regen.

After having masses of DPF issues on my previous car (520d) due to only driving 8 miles each way to the station and back every day (a little more than your 40 a week, but not much), I vowed to never buy a diesel again. Although BMW DPFs are notoriously bad.

I ended up inherited my vRS TDi and immediately started plotting to have the DPF cut out and programmed etc and sod the illegalities etc.

I was persuaded not to do it in the end and that was a good few months ago now. I've only interrupted a regen once. Also, started the car once and the fans immediately were on full tilt, but the drive home sorted it.

The car drives noticeably "lumpy" from time to time and I assume it's doing a regen at the time, but even on my short commute it seems to be ok.

This might just be a one off for you, but the car can sort itself in the most cases.

Is your car tuned?

No (or not yet)

Work is fairly quiet but it's about to go manic so I might be out a bit more on the bigger runs

Edited by mk4gtiturbo

Not only is a missing DPF an MOT failure, it's also an offence to modify a vehicle in such a way so that it no longer complies with the emission requirements it was originally designed to meet.

Not only is a missing DPF an MOT failure, it's also an offence to modify a vehicle in such a way so that it no longer complies with the emission requirements it was originally designed to meet.

Assuming it complies with them in the first place..... :D :D :D

Also a hollowed out DPF isn't an MOT failure.

Also a hollowed out DPF isn't an MOT failure.

+1

The MOT tester is only allowed to carry out a visual inspection, so provided the DPF "looks" like it's in place AND the particulates emission levels are below the allowed level then it's a pass at MOT.

But remember than an MOT test is NOT a test of legality.

Purely out of interest, do you have a source for the offence the person would be committing if they alter the emissions?

No it isn't

Dunno how many times I've told you

Drive it like, you just stole it

End of DPF problems

But you cant do this on short drives until engine comes to high temperatures, which is even worse in winter months, so not really a feasible solution for shorter journeys.

I love diesels and actually prefer driving them but my main reason for switching to petrol is my VRS's twice weekly attempt to regen.

I feel like the warning light on the dashboard is like a ticking timebomb.......sooner or later it's going to illuminate.

• Like 1

Let me ask you, if I see active regen (higher rpms, start/stop off,etc) can I help it somehow?

Also - does it finish if I just leave it idle with engine on, till it lowera rpms or enables start/stop. I've read somewhere that on idle,even the temp is higher and engine pumps fuel to acomplish, the result is that system just stops the regen if it is on idle.

Is it right? Can I help the active regen?

• Like 1