Xbox One or Playstation 4, I'm torn?

billywhiz040480

Hi all,

I've currently got the an Xbox 360 and I'm just about to press the buy button for an Xbox one but I'm having second thoughts thanks to the Playstation 4??? I've been putting it off for ages but I've got a spare few quid and would like to upgrade, should I stick with what I know or give the Playstation 4 a go?

I'm an XBOX fan, still have my 360. Keep thinking about replacing it, and then end up doing nothing.

I don't play games anymore and use it solely for media playback with PLEX.

There XBOX one is getting a refresh this autumn and a whole new console at the end of 2017.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3082660/consumer-electronics/microsoft-reveals-project-scorpio-the-xbox-ones-powerful-4k-ready-successor.html

I went from a 360 to a PS4 and the main reason was the wife got it for me. Free online gaming and another blue ray player are a bonus. The only reason I went from a PS2 and an Xbox to just an Xbox 360 was my love of Halo. That love has ended so now I'm quite happy with the PS4. I now get to play Gran Tourismo again! There isn't much to choose from in my mind other than some games are only available on one platform.

I went from a 360 to a PS4 and the main reason was the wife got it for me. Free online gaming and another blue ray player are a bonus. The only reason I went from a PS2 and an Xbox to just an Xbox 360 was my love of Halo. That love has ended so now I'm quite happy with the PS4. I now get to play Gran Tourismo again! There isn't much to choose from in my mind other than some games are only available on one platform.

The ps4 doesn't have free online gaming you need ps+.. It really comes down to the exclusive franchises you enjoy if any go for that system. I have both consoles and 95% of my gaming is on Xbox one, I only use ps4 for uncharted and other exclusives

Non fanboy answer ....

See what games are exclusive in each console you want to play ie gran turismo then it's a PlayStation forza Xbox one

A lot of games now are in both except 1st party titles and the odd game

Technically the ps4 is more powerful but unless you are in an argument on a forum it's hardly noticeable

Both have bluray although Xbox one s model is a 4k bluray so if you have a 4k TV it's cheaper than a stand alone player

Xbox live is very stable and from what I've read ps network is not particularly brilliant at times

Xbox one will allow the majority of 360 BC not the full range and new games are be added unless the publisher decides to cash in and do a half assed HD remaster (call of duty)

Coming from a 360 you find the controller comfy although the dual shock is tried and tested and comfy although some people prefer Xbox controller over ps

Above all its what you mates own so you can play together

• Like 1

So many factors to consider and malcster has covered most.

From experience with 360/PS3 and XBONE/PS4 though, last gen the 360 was the better gaming machine, the PS3 was better at media. This gen, they've swapped (imho). The Xbone is a superb media machine and all rounder while the PS4 excels at gaming.

Another thing is if you've got a Win 10 computer you can stream the Xbone to it with no issues or extra software installs (wife often takes over the lounge TV for her terrible soaps and I stream to my laptop). I know that Sony were working on PS4 streaming but I've not had a chance to play with it yet.

This is a bit of a can of worms at the moment, for reasons that I'll try and explain.

Looking at the first generation PS4 and XBone, the PS4 is very clearly the better console. It has more powerful hardware and pretty much without exception cross platform games run better on the PlayStation. This is factual based on specs and testing of actual games, not fanboy bias.

That said, there are some reasons why you might be better off going Microsoft. There are exclusive games on both platforms and if some of those are important to you, that may make your mind up. Secondly, as always, if you have a group of friends you want to go online with, you'll need the same console.

For both machines you'll need to pay a subscription to play online, but you get free games each month with the sub.

Now here's where it gets complicated. Both Sony and Microsoft are about to release new consoles.

There will be an XBox One S which is a smaller slimmer and cheaper console with 4K upscaling due very soon, and then a more powerful machine in a year called Project Scorpio at the moment.

On sony's side, there's an event on the 7th September where they are expected to announce a cheaper PS4 slim (pictures have leaked) and a more powerful PS4 Neo which will be backwards compatible and give better results on the forthcoming PS VR headset.

Given the extra lead time, most people are expecting the XBone Scorpio to have the edge on performance, swinging the balance of power back to MS but that's a year off.

Either way, hold off buying anything until the new consoles are out so you either get the new hardware or a discount on the old machine as they are cleared out.

I had an xbone and didn't really get on with it - despite having consoles since the Megadrive, I got fed up with over marketing and alot of the community (too much rage), sold it and built a basic pc and am really enjoying steam gaming at the moment - was around £400 and runs everything I've tried fine so far.

Really good selection of games, better prices than microsoft and lots of free stuff and fun mods.  No fees either, really glad I made the change.

The only thing I miss were some of the people I played with were pretty nice, yet to build a friend base on steam.

Not what you asked I know but thought I'd chip in...

I brought a PS4 because a couple of my mates did also my Pc wasn't working, it's a great bit of kit however I've always preferred Pc's so I was always going to get bored eventually.

Now I sold it and brought a MSI Gaming 980 TI to finish off my new Pc build and to be honest it knocks the socks off the PS4, i'm now gaming at 1440p 60hz :)

Edited by theezenutz

• 2 weeks later...

Chose what your mates have - that is the best solution in my opinion.

In my case an Xbox One

I would love a ps4 just to play 'The Last of Us' and God Of War. But it isn't worth buying for just a few games.

I do think however that the Xbox One is awful in terms of user friendliness. It still takes me a minute or two to work out how to get into settings (I've had the console at least 18 months!).

Also the party invites/ accepting invites etc is all such a faff. Again, it sometimes takes my friends and I several attempts to actually connect to one another's parties.

Xbox Live 12 month codes can be had from EBay for very reasonable prices by the way too.

JRJG

The PS4 pro has been announced today - £350 and a more powerful 4K capable version of the PS4 as expected.

Beat me to it.

Have been trying to fins out if PS5 is pending but it seems probably not. PS4.5 is it for a while.

PS3 was a 7-8 year generation. I don't think they'd leave this gen after only a couple years. I think Sony suggested a 5-6 year lifespan for the PS4 generation. If anything the Pro may try to extend that? With the new architecture though they could release PS5, make it 100% backwards compatible, and essentially get everyone upgrading on a much shorter generation cycle. I'd be amazed if the Pro becomes an 'old model' in less than 2 years now though.

It's looking likely that they will copy Apple with incremental and compatible hardware releases every few years, so you won't get a clear break between generations.

Games will be released with "requires Ps4 pro or newer" on the back.

I don't know if they've backtracked on it, but Sony have stated they will not allow any titles that require PS4 Pro and won't work on PS4 (Microsoft, however, have said they're open to that with Scorpio) so I think it'd be difficult for Sony to pull off a release schedule like Apple and keep their stance. Will definitely be an interesting space to watch, and see if it'll just become 'Sony PCs' in a box.

The rumour I did find was that Sony might go to streaming for the 'PS5'. So you'll just have a little internet connected box and you'll rent access.

I can see the subscription model being very popular with everyone except the customers.

there wont be another ps4 after the pro they have already said that. i dont feel the ps4 pro is enough of an upgrade it should have had more memory plus the cpu is still the weak point. They could change their mind once microsoft launch project scorpio

Edited by allan1888