My black Octy

Magget

15 hours ago, ahenners said:

Liking the new Xtreme wheels you've fitted

Yeah they're quite nice looking, but unfortunately not wide enough, so I'll be selling them over the winter period.

I want to buy a wider rim with a smaller offset, so that I can increase tire width and push the wheel out for a better look without needing to go for spacers. 

23 hours ago, Magget said:

Yeah they're quite nice looking, but unfortunately not wide enough, so I'll be selling them over the winter period.

I want to buy a wider rim with a smaller offset, so that I can increase tire width and push the wheel out for a better look without needing to go for spacers. 

If you're selling the wheels would you PM me with a price?

4 minutes ago, jordy_wd said:

If you're selling the wheels would you PM me with a price?

I'll sell them in about a month or two, when I put my winter 18" on. So if you can wait until end October or start November I'd happily sell them. 

• 4 months later...

Been a while since ive made a post and several things changed

1. Side skirts finally fitted (Rieger Tuning)

IMG_20180204_115525_20180210195619831.jpg

IMG_20180204_115440.jpg

IMG_20180113_124908.thumb.jpg.f6c4e5b8fad059e9412330efecff68d3.jpg

2. Forge carbon intake

IMG_20180210_112717.jpg

3. And picked up new wheels for the spring!

IMG_20180210_121224.thumb.jpg.fa2415a5f34338a4f7c4a233a8d409d1.jpg

Edited by Magget
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/03/2018 at 20:25, Kahunajb said:

Any plans for dyno with forge intake? What does it sound like compared to standard airbox and can you feel any difference?

I'm waiting on a Shark or VRS Northampton Dyno day if I'm honest. Don't plan to do it before that.

If I'd say I can feel any hp increase I'd be lying, as we're talking a few hp difference, if any at all. But the main difference is the sound as turbo flutter is quite loud. Enough for me to hear it in first 3 and occasionally 4th gear as well when coming on or off boost, and that was the main reason I wanted to buy one. I live in a quiet street and leave really early every morning, so an exhaust wasn't really an option.

The car also revs a bit more freely, so there's less hesitation when stepping on the accelerator, which makes the car a lot more dynamic and fun. 

So I'm really happy with the purchase.

@Magget how are you finding the BMC panel filter and what made you go for it over Ramair, K&N, etc?  

Am I right in thinking there's no MAF sensor on the newer EA888 engines so oiled filters aren't so much of a worry now? 

30 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

@Magget how are you finding the BMC panel filter and what made you go for it over Ramair, K&N, etc?  

Am I right in thinking there's no MAF sensor on the newer EA888 engines so oiled filters aren't so much of a worry now? 

Hm long story actually. I've been a big BMC fan for years. I've had their CDA intake on last 4 cars and a BMC OTA one on 2 more, and I never had any issues with any of their products. So once you're happy with a brand there's no real desire of need to test other ones. Also living close to Italy made BMC a lot more accessible than k&n or ramair. I've also had and wanted an enclosed system fed by outside air directly, so open cone options, even with heat, shields were never something I looked at. Just a personal preference really.

I've tried the CDA on this car as well (early posts here) but the dimensions of the thing prevented me from doing a proper install as I had no room for inlet piping and it had to rest under the OEM inlet scoop and it didn't have a vacuum line attachment which is on the OEM box, so it wasn't great.

After that I've started reading up on the ea888 and found out the box is not a bottleneck as it's designed quite well (at least until you go past stage1). The biggest problem with our engine is the turbo inlet (has a narrow neck) and the pipe connecting the inlet and the filter box. 

After some research I took the TurboTechnics inlet pipe, which replaces both parts. Most other brands required a 2 part install (inlet + pipe), so I went with that.

And as the filter box wasn't a real issue, I kept it and replaced the panel filter, and removed the snow guard from the box to free it up a bit. Again not dynoed just the panel filter, but it's definitely less restrictive then OEM paper one. It's been great. Had it for 2 service intervals, meaning I cleaned and oiled it twice, and had 0 issues.

I wanted to buy wwr one since my BMC CDA days but it was waaaaaay to expensive, so I never went with it. But I got a good deal on the forge one, so I couldn't pass the opportunity and went with it for the sound.

About MAF sensor... BMC comes pre-oiled and I couldn't find any reported problems on ea888. And as long as you follow the BMC cleaning and oiling procedure, and not absolutely soak it in their oil, it will be fine.

Btw I still have my panel filter and cleaning kit if you want it or want to try it. 

Edited by Magget

Thanks @Magget for the detailed and helpful response.  Unfortunately due to warranty on a brand new 280 TSI I don't want to be straying very far from stock and a remap/hoses/intake are defo out of the question.   I had my previous car mapped by Revo and Revo did recommend the use of their own panel filter (naturally they would :rolleyes:) as they said it would get the best out of the map.  It did sound a little more aggressive but I couldn't tell about the performance benefit of the filter alone as it was fitted at the same time as the remap.    The filter was done at half price so it wasn't much more than an OEM filter anyway.  

I've just been looking at various VAG forums regarding the EA888 engines, modifying etc, (as you do!) and the Golf R forums are particularly full of useful info.  I've seen several posts regarding the OEM air box being actually quite well designed to work with the latest engine.  Though I'm still not sure I'd try the 'dremmel' mod :o. I've seen that the BMC panel filter is well regarded but TBH without any other mods to the car I'm not sure if it would make any tangible difference to the performance; as already indicated VAG have done a pretty good job with the OEM air box, why undo that with a substandard filter?! 

I'm just toying with the idea of removing the snow grate and adding the BMC panel filter but deep down I know the OEM filter will be just as good - the devil makes work of idle hands, as they say!

Thanks again for the info, much appreciated.  I really like the vRS BTW :thumbup:

Edited by penguin17

Hey @penguin17,

No worries, happy to help where I can. If I'm totally honest there probably won't be a difference you'll feel, and as the box will stay, so will the sound. But I do love tinkering with my cars so I've done things just for the sake of doing them, so I understand the urge to change bits and bobs irrelevant of actual measurable gains :)

As mentioned, I got no use for my bmc panel filter and cleaning kit, so if you want to try it and are driving distance from east Midlands, I'll happily give it to you for cheap (whatever you offer) as it's just taking space I need :)

But yeah, vwr oc forum has by far the most information relevant for us.

Also find a topic here by aks tuning for his octy project and show car, and @Ants topic, loads of useful info as well. 

Thanks for the compliment btw

Edited by Magget
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally washed the car after several weekends of rain, and tested also how the gtechniq C5 works. It's amazing I didn't need to use the wheel cleaner but just spray on snowfoam and brushes. 

IMG_20180408_130647.thumb.jpg.791a31130b08e37d2e05451534165343.jpg

IMG_20180408_131100.thumb.jpg.e5989a54a04c4a694bd3e5c37a3c3fb8.jpg

IMG_20180408_130729.thumb.jpg.a482674bb1ae5dccb6dfbb3c32000325.jpg

• Like 1

Another update for my Octy and a bit of background on my brake situation.

After swapping the OEM rotors for Mtec grooved and pads for ebc yellow stuff, I've been having some problems. First doing the job by myself for the first time, I've not cleaned the hubs and/or wheels enough it seems, so after approx. 2000 miles I've started getting brake judder and disc runout. I've only learned after researching judder causes that a fraction of a millimetre is enough to cause it, so wirebrushing only clearly wasn't enough. Also the grooved disks were annoying as hell as they produce a humming sound when breaking. 

So I wanted to fix the issue without resurfacing rotors as I wanted to get rid of the noises as well.

Since yesterday I have now fitted Brembo rotors and Brembo HP2000 pads part numbers below for anyone interested), and Audi RS3 brake duct's bought from AKS for a little bit extra durability for my summer roadtrip in Austrian Alps. 

Brake duct's (not my pic):genuine-rs3-8v-brake-ducts.jpg

Octavia mk3 vrs part numbers:

Brake pads - brembo 07.b314.81
Rotors - brembo 09.C306.11

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while since my money pit was fed, so I've addressed another pain point in the car which kept making me look at newer vehicles - lack of Android auto and navigation.

So I've bought this:

https://www.pioneer-car.eu/eur/products/avic-evo1-oc2-mtb

I've been torn between this and Alpines octy unit, but Apline looked quite laggy on YT videos.

I'm getting it in about a week and will try to install it myself. Let's see how it goes...

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2018 at 09:14, Magget said:

Been a while since my money pit was fed, so I've addressed another pain point in the car which kept making me look at newer vehicles - lack of Android auto and navigation.

So I've bought this:

https://www.pioneer-car.eu/eur/products/avic-evo1-oc2-mtb

I've been torn between this and Alpines octy unit, but Apline looked quite laggy on YT videos.

I'm getting it in about a week and will try to install it myself. Let's see how it goes...

I've been looking at this unit as well, how did you get on?

19 minutes ago, Ian-b said:

I've been looking at this unit as well, how did you get on?

Still waiting for it to be delivered unfortunately. I'll update this thread as soon as I get my hands on it. 

I'm hoping it will arrive sometime next week.

• 2 years later...

Talk about an old octy topic resurrection.  In may 2018 I purchased a 370z Nismo and Octy was handed or gifted to my wife, who's been driving it ever since.

As we're moving abroad and RHD vehicles can't be taken with us all 3 vehicles including our octy are now for sale.  Since my last update, we've removed the front lip, and Rieger Tuning side skirts. Front lip was damaged in a multis. carpark by the missus, and as the car looked wonky as hell without it, we removed the side skirts as well, although i still have them. We've also installed the Pioneer unit so it has android auto and apple carplay. 

I'll hopefully stay a Briskodian as i'm just about to pull the trigger on a LHD MK3 Octavia Scout :) 

Edited by john999boy
Non Freedom

48 minutes ago, john999boy said:

You can’t just dangle the bit about not being able to take RHD cars abroad without a bit more info! ;)

You were right about the last post as I had to edit a few things. :thumbup:

Ah apologies for the link then :) I'm sure people will find it if needed. 

Basically I considered making a full conversion from RHD to LHD as well and the money involved is insane to put it mildly. Complete dash needs replacing, steering column moved, pedals moved, all front door interior swapped, and many many other things. Not to mention the car would probably have tons of rattles and we're talking around 10K cost as a bare minimum. Even considered buying a crashed LHD VRS and swapping parts, but it's just too big of a pain. 

Next thing i looked at was a permanent gopro mounted in the lower left corner of the windshield, wiring it to the pioneer, so that when overtaking or turning left on any intersection would be needed, i'd turn the camera on to see if i'll crash into any oncoming vehicles... would be possible, but definitely not enjoyable, especially considering i LOVE driving this car so much and basically any Alps mountain passes, or nice A roads would never be possible to drive on in a...well...enjoyable way :)

So i do have to part with my Octy and 370z Nismo, and find something else :) Currently looking at a Scout to get me over the first 2 or so years, before going with either the new VRS or chasing my dream and buying a b8.5 RS4 avant in Germany :) 

• Like 1