Tyre life?

Hi all,

Thought I'd start this thread, as I'm really quite impressed with how long my front tyres have lasted.

Car is now on 18,500 miles, and still have around 3mm of tread left. Obviously being an L&K I don't thrash it around like I might have other cars, but I still think that is very impressive.

Factory fit tyres are Bridgestone Potenza S001. I think given how good they've been, I'll definitely be replacing them like for like.

What's other peoples experiences?

Hated the s001 on a Superb I owned. Noisy and not very inspiring in the wet. Felt they were expensive as well.

Oh really? I must say mine spends most of its life going up and down the M40, so not really pushed it in the wet etc.

Given what I need them for, they seem to do very well! Always interesting to hear other people's experience though!

Think the Bridgestones are hard wearing but noisy from what I've heard on here.

Goodyear Efficient Grip seems to get good reviews.

On a side issue, my dealer check my geometry, alignment and tyre wear for free at my service last week, provided the print out also. Was reassuring to know the car was running straight, as there are so many potholes around.

My Octy came with 17" Pirelli P7 Cinturato's and they lasted about 100.000 km.

Dry grip was excellent, wet performance was so-so.

I swapped the fronts and rears once.

During the last 15.000 km they developed a faulty ball bearing like noise between 50-80 kph otherwise the noise level was not bad.

The new tyres are Uniroyal RainSport 3's and I love them. More comfartable and less noisy. Wet performance is excellent (no additional noise on wet road) and dry grip is almost as good as with the P7's.

IMG_2361.jpg

Edited by aki78

Oh really? I must say mine spends most of its life going up and down the M40, so not really pushed it in the wet etc.

Given what I need them for, they seem to do very well! Always interesting to hear other people's experience though!

In the wet I found they had a glassy feeling and didn't like deep water much. Goodyear on the other hand you hardly noticed the difference.

The S001 is £8 a corner more than the (imo) better GY EfficientGrip Performance. £2 a corner more than the Dunlop Blu Sportresponse (equal to the GY ECP) in a 225/45/17 size.

Dad had the P7 on his Jetta and they 50p'd badly at the rear. Could hardly hear yourself think.

You got 62,000 miles out of a set of tyres?

Fanboy alert right here.

Yep, 140k minus 40k (2 x winter season) equals 100k here.

I mostly drive on highways.

Edited by aki78

My VRS DSG Estate came with Continentals. Front tyres lasted 9,000 miles. I've tried Falcons but they offer no rim protection. The tyres I've settled on are Kumho's. In my opinion a very good tyre, good ratings and a lot better wearing than the Continentals.

• Like 1

Over 60k miles on one set of tyres is possible.

Matt Pez was over that mileage when he changed them and had tread left, but they were so bad he could not stand them any longer.

They were the same brand as mine, Dunlop SportsMaxx, and I am likely to only get 30k miles if I am lucky and I am not generally aggressive.

• Like 1

My VRS DSG Estate came with Continentals. Front tyres lasted 9,000 miles. I've tried Falcons but they offer no rim protection. The tyres I've settled on are Kumho's. In my opinion a very good tyre, good ratings and a lot better wearing than the Continentals.

Yep,o have the continentals too. Good dry/wet grip, but the wear rate is terrible!

Kumhos are very good value, I have them on my MINI.

Hmmmmmm. Get about about 10 or 11K out of a set of tyres with a front to back rotation. Might have to go with something a bit tougher as it's gotta a year of PCP left to run and their meant to have some tread left when you hand them back.

Not sure if I'll go the whole term or VT but, I'd NOT want my decision made by tyre state

Hmmmmmm. Get about about 10 or 11K out of a set of tyres with a front to back rotation. Might have to go with something a bit tougher as it's gotta a year of PCP left to run and their meant to have some tread left when you hand them back.

Not sure if I'll go the whole term or VT but, I'd NOT want my decision made by tyre state

Not sure if it's the same on PCP, but on Skoda contract hire they can't be budget tyres either, otherwise they will charge you!

Never leasing another car direct with a manufacturer ever again.

Not sure if it's the same on PCP, but on Skoda contract hire they can't be budget tyres either, otherwise they will charge you!

I've not seen it anywhere in writing that budget tyres aren't accepted.

Just states like for like and that could mean speed rating and size.

I was just sent a book about what defined as fair wear and tear.

Yes, Skoda's exit document states "tyres must be of recognisable brand".

I'm fairly sure that anything complying with British Standards will trump that clause (i.e anything sold in the UK that isn't a remould).

I've had over 10k, nearer 11 i think, (can't remember exactly what miles the winters did) from my conti SC2s and they are at 5mm all round, having been rotated diagonally across the car.  I was wearing the offside faster....roundabouts i think caused it.  Anyway, I'll probably get 18 to 20k out of the contis, which isn't bad.  I have a pair of efficient grips ready (got one fitted on my full size spare, bought 2 just in case the tyre was to change/be phased out), and will get another 2, or a pair of F1 assymetric when the change is needed, depends what i can get at a decent price.

the contis are an okay tyre, although i find they get harder and less grippy in winter (but then i bought winters for last year).  The thing i dislike about them is their noise.  they are noisier than my Nokian D3 winter tyres of the same size, by a considerable margin.  I know the efficient grips are quiet, and grippy, and fuel efficient.  I had those on a previous car, and were a step up from the conti premium contact that car had before for 2 sets.

Over 60k miles on one set of tyres is possible.

Matt Pez was over that mileage when he changed them and had tread left, but they were so bad he could not stand them any longer.

They were the same brand as mine, Dunlop SportsMaxx, and I am likely to only get 30k miles if I am lucky and I am not generally aggressive.

I must be very non aggressive, done 12k miles so far in the 520, it had a new set of Michelins fitted when I bought it and barely worn 2mm off so far so should be good for well over 35k but my uncle always eats through a set of rears in less than 20k miles on his 320!

Same here, only 9k from the Contis at the front. 17k for the rears. Now running Goodyear Eagle F1s. Very impressed

Yes, Skoda's exit document states "tyres must be of recognisable brand".

I'm fairly sure that anything complying with British Standards will trump that clause (i.e anything sold in the UK that isn't a remould).

Ahh ok, although fullrun is a recognisable brand but reconisable to be ditch finders. I don't think they would have a good case, as you say anything sold in the UK that isn't a remould should be acceptable. I've bought plenty a car out the auction that have been ex lease and they have had new ditch finders fitted.

Luckily I don't buy cheap when it comes to tyres, just frustrating that you're giving a car back with almost new tyres, but then that's my fault for only doing a 24 month contract hire.

No, it isn't.  It ***really*** isn't.

Patently it is.

I don't think it is a coincidence that both the examples cited do very high annual mileage, so presumably a lot of motorway runs.

Matt complained about their awful ride, grip and noise at the time, so it seemed his tyres were a lot harder compound than mine as I find mine pretty good for all three factors.

I don't drive aggressively, I don't have a particularly powerful or heavy car and my tyre wear is reasonably good but not particularly spectacular as most of my mileage is urban with lots of mini roundabouts.

• Like 1

Worse tyre wear I got was 7k from a set of Ultrac Sessanatas on the front of a PD140 Octavia. Best has been 15k from GY F1A2 on the front of the Superb TSI I had.

Work run is 18 roundabouts on an NSL road doesn't bode well for tyre life!