Rattles, vibrations, mediocre handling, questionable paintwork and other general negativity

Well my SE Business 150 TDI manual has just passed the 10,000 mile mark and I'm all out of love....

It has substantially more cabin rattles than my 105,000 mile 11 year old Ford Focus, that alone is ridiculous! :dull:  Don't get me wrong, the car is 'nice', however I'm really peeved at the number of cabin rattles and vibrations that have developed on what is supposedly a premium product. There are rattles from the glovebox, the area near to the headlight switch, the vent area above the headlight switch, the pull down storage compartment and most recently something inside the drivers door has begun to rattle, super annoying as it's right by my earhole. Yesterday a new vibration was noticed when I put my foot down, there was a distinct resonance from somewhere in the cabin. As my nearest dealer is 25 miles away I'm not in a hurry to let them take the car apart (and possibly make things worse) so I'll just put up with it.

As you can probably tell I'm bored of it, if I'd paid for it I'd be extremely disappointed, as it is I've got 14 months left on the lease and I can't wait for it to end. I have driven many cars over the years, this is my 29th (I'm 42) and I must say that this is very disappointing, especially being a brand new vehicle.

I'm also convinced that the car had paint before it got to me, there are imperfections on the n/s/r quarter panel and boot lid that you would just not expect to have made it past quality control. Also, the front bumper has more stone chips than I think is reasonable given my style of driving and the mileage travelled.

It handles like a barge, I had a Volvo S60 which was like a go-kart in comparison, it just wallows around and isn't at all precise.

Would I have another? No. In fact after the whole debacle with VWFS & Skoda UK at the beginning of the lease I doubt I'd ever go VW Group again...

No doubt lots of people will now tell me I'm wrong.......whatever.

• Like 1

Not had a single rattle, bang or squeak on mine, apart from the variable boot floor, that has no latch, so lifts and bangs down when empty over road humps. No probelm if there is something in the boot which is usually the case.

I have the suspension set on normal and for me it rides beautifully, but then I prefer a soft ride. Comfort would be much like a Citroen DS if it had more control, that would be perfect for me.

Edited by philsmith

I've got a few minor rattles* (10k miles in) but nothing that really detracts from the overall experience, still feels like a lovely place to be. It is the L&K though.

Handling I'm also okay with - it's really very decent at covering ground over the moors roads round here. In sport mode with the DCC it's actually quite fun too.

* only really one that annoys me - in the drivers door somewhere between the hinge and door handle. It's inaudible if you have the radio on but annoying if not.

Just over 10k on my SE business 150 manual. Don't have any rattles at all, maybe I'm just lucky. I'm still bored of it though. Not enough power, handles like a barge and dull to be in. Agreed on the stone chips, mines a mess on the front end. Still can't really complain for the money though, my lease was less than a poverty spec focus hatch.

3,500 miles and 5 weeks into ownership of an April 16 registered Superb Hatch SE L Exec 190bhp DSG, after buying it with 8,500 miles on the clock.

I had previously bought a Superb Hatch 1.4Tsi SE DSG, which was sublime except for the manually adjustable driver's seat.

So a week later I swapped it for the current car with the electric chair to give me more thigh support. 

After years of driving 150bhp diesels (2 x Octavia, Ford Mondeo, VW Passat Estate etc), the 190bhp is great fun from about 60mph upwards.

The electric boot is great and I would give up the reversing camera before that feature. 

The Apple CarPlay, especially the Message App is brilliant - as a joke my wife sent me a message: "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" which Siri spoke perfectly. I am still unsure if she was describing me or the Superb.

Dislikes / issues:

There is a rattle which seems to be coming from the parcel shelf where it slides into the groove, so I shall take the shelf out tomorrow and drive around for a while to try and locate / confirm the rattle.

I drove 22 x 140 mile trips round the southern parts of the M25 to Kent over the past three months, while working with a client down there, firstly in my Octavia with Michelin Cross Climate tyres, the 1.4Tsi with the Pirelli R18's and then with this 190bhp Superb with the same R18's. There's a concrete surface section between J10 / A3 and Leatherhead, where the Octavia and the 1.4Tsi were fine but the current 190bhp's tyre noise is incredibly loud at higher speeds, to the point of having to slow down.

I haven't got a factory fit integrated towbar, which I would like for carrying bikes and I chickened out of a retro-fit via a dealer's third party fitter for fear of the car being pulled apart (a few bad experiences from the bad old days of mobile phones being misfitted into my company cars, perhaps?). That integrated tow bar looks to be well worth the investment to save on potential rattles after a retro (mis) fit.

I have to admit to wondering what the 220 or 280 would be like to drive and even looked at a Passat Estate BiTDI online last night - maybe it's a mid-life crisis rather than me being bored with the Skoda Superb!

3,500 miles and 5 weeks into ownership of an April 16 registered Superb Hatch SE L Exec 190bhp DSG, after buying it with 8,500 miles on the clock.

I had previously bought a Superb Hatch 1.4Tsi SE DSG, which was sublime except for the manually adjustable driver's seat.

So a week later I swapped it for the current car with the electric chair to give me more thigh support. 

After years of driving 150bhp diesels (2 x Octavia, Ford Mondeo, VW Passat Estate etc), the 190bhp is great fun from about 60mph upwards.

The electric boot is great and I would give up the reversing camera before that feature. 

The Apple CarPlay, especially the Message App is brilliant - as a joke my wife sent me a message: "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" which Siri spoke perfectly. I am still unsure if she was describing me or the Superb.

Dislikes / issues:

There is a rattle which seems to be coming from the parcel shelf where it slides into the groove, so I shall take the shelf out tomorrow and drive around for a while to try and locate / confirm the rattle.

I drove 22 x 140 mile trips round the southern parts of the M25 to Kent over the past three months, while working with a client down there, firstly in my Octavia with Michelin Cross Climate tyres, the 1.4Tsi with the Pirelli R18's and then with this 190bhp Superb with the same R18's. There's a concrete surface section between J10 / A3 and Leatherhead, where the Octavia and the 1.4Tsi were fine but the current 190bhp's tyre noise is incredibly loud at higher speeds, to the point of having to slow down.

I haven't got a factory fit integrated towbar, which I would like for carrying bikes and I chickened out of a retro-fit via a dealer's third party fitter for fear of the car being pulled apart (a few bad experiences from the bad old days of mobile phones being misfitted into my company cars, perhaps?). That integrated tow bar looks to be well worth the investment to save on potential rattles after a retro (mis) fit.

I have to admit to wondering what the 220 or 280 would be like to drive and even looked at a Passat Estate BiTDI online last night - maybe it's a mid-life crisis rather than me being bored with the Skoda Superb!

My 280 is probably a magnitude less interesting than yours to drive at the moment while i'm playing how many MPG can I get !!

Slightly off topic but WTF do Foxes sound so much like the Werewolf from American Werewolf in London ????? Theirs a couple of the bleeders #issing about just outside my window.... I wish they would go away .....

My 280 is probably a magnitude less interesting than yours to drive at the moment while i'm playing how many MPG can I get !!

Slightly off topic but WTF do Foxes sound so much like the Werewolf from American Werewolf in London ????? Theirs a couple of the bleeders #issing about just outside my window.... I wish they would go away .....

You could always ask them to or introduce them to a bucket of water!

• Like 1

That's a shame, build quality does seem hit and miss from others comments, rattles and creaks would wind me up no end so I sympathise. That was my one concern before I launched into my lease, could it be as good as some folk reckoned, so far my SE Business at 7k is rattle free and the honeymoon hasn't ended yet.

Just back from a trip to Europe fully loaded with 4 adults and it was a dream to drive on decent roads not like the UK crap we have to put up with. Averaged mid to late 50's mpg mostly, hit 65 on the longer return trip and that's not hanging about. The flexibility and power of the 2.0 150bhp TDI engine and the smoothness of delivery is a key feature in my book. As for the handling give me a soft and subtle suspension any day over a firmer ride, I guess it depends on your driving style.

My lease has a good while to go yet and providing it still delivers I can't see me wanting to change, there isn't a better car available for the money in terms performance, build quality and style. In fact I washed it only the other day and marvelled at how well it looks when cleaned up, it's a handsome car in any car park.

Never ever Škoda again + 1

6 months

11k Km

~10 service visits

positive:

great design, inside and outside;

TSI 220ps + DSG6 = pleasure of drive;

huge space;

but negative dominates :(

louder than my previous Hyundai Sonata 2009 2.0 CRDi. Not engine, but road noise;

first disappointment - TSI 220ps exhausts turned down like a Diesel

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/392652-exhausts/

rattles in rear

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/384277-noise-in-rear-suspension/

[sOLVED after two months long fight]

rattles in front

few visits without result, but think answer will be "phenomenon" same as Deerjohn got

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/405470-another-10000-mile-update/page-2#entry4698140

[formally IN PROCESS, also "my" fault i can't find free time for 10+ service visits in 6 months]

cold engine started fan on highest spin at start

[sOLVED on second service visit by decrease pressure in the system]

impossible reception of GPS signal under Windscreen

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/395894-what-exact-option-kills-gps-signal-reception-under-windscreen/

[REJECTED]

damaged "chrome" parts

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/406172-change-of-color-of-door-chrome-strips/

[REJECTED]

Rear Disc Brake wear

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/407627-rear-disc-brake-wear/

[REJECTED, cause dirty roads. my car's front wheels drive other cleaner roads :) ]

Umbrella has broken in less than 10 times of use. without extreme weather

[REJECTED, it isn't part of the car]

Washer Nozzles

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/398484-washer-nozzle-retrofit-heated-version/

[REPLACED by self]

• Like 1

The regular flow of negative feedback regarding build quality - chrome trim issues, rattles, easy-chip paint etc, has been a considerable influence on my choice to go for a Passat estate instead. Even the Autoexpress long term review talked about a dashboard rattle which he never resolved.  I hope the build standards improve over time, with customer feedback, as I still love the look and feel of the Superb, but for now I'm not regretting choosing a new Passat. I hope the feeling continues once I take delivery!

The regular flow of negative feedback regarding build quality - chrome trim issues, rattles, easy-chip paint etc, has been a considerable influence on my choice to go for a Passat estate instead. Even the Autoexpress long term review talked about a dashboard rattle which he never resolved.  I hope the build standards improve over time, with customer feedback, as I still love the look and feel of the Superb, but for now I'm not regretting choosing a new Passat. I hope the feeling continues once I take delivery!

I'm sure the Passat is a great car but I just couldn't live with the way it looks even if they offered a power plant I was interested in. It's so bland.

You have to remember that the majority have very few if any probs....

For instance... My chrome is fine. I had a rattle that I fixed. I've now had my car 11 months and not got a chip yet.

• Like 2

I'm sure the Passat is a great car but I just couldn't live with the way it looks even if they offered a power plant I was interested in. It's so bland.

You have to remember that the majority have very few if any probs....

For instance... My chrome is fine. I had a rattle that I fixed. I've now had my car 11 months and not got a chip yet.

Yes, I understand it might be a minority that experience problems. My wife loved the Superb test too and was still keen to go for the car again, even after the fiasco with having our original order cancelled by Skoda. To be honest, if there's an issue with my Passat order, then I'm back in the market again and I'd be seriously considering the Superb as an option.

I hope VW have upped their game then, as from my experience they always rattle and creak more than the equivalent Škoda model ... that said my S3 is the worst Škoda for rattles etc, thats not to say it is really bad just the worst out of 1 Octavia and 4 Superbs.

I too looked at the Passat but for the toys i wanted it worked out much dearer than my L&K.

I have had a complete glovebox fitted to cure a rattle, have a replacement heater sitting at the dealers to hopefully cure the resonation when pulling away, just waiting on the chrome trims for the drivers side doors to arrive (come on SUK does it really take a month??) and hopefully mine will be silent again.

Virtually zero problems 12k miles down the road from 2 March 2016. The only very minor issue has been warranty replacement of rear door trims – clearly this was a common thing that has hopefully been resolved at source by now.

Road noise? Well, yes, but how much of that is due the road surface types that seem to be prevalent on UK roads? It always seems so much better – quieter – on continental roads. (Perceived noise generally is also down considerably since switching from a temporarily driven 190 diesel to this petrol version).

Room for improvement? Yes, more lateral support for the seats, please – not exactly suited to 'enthusiastic' cornerning. Also, the DSG box could do with at least one more gear. To really nit-pick: carpets seemed better quality in the Superb II – though my memory of that has faded really quickly. Oh, and 'others' have LED headlights: can I have some please? HUD would also be nice...

Edited by eurotraveller

Virtually zero problems 12k miles down the road from 2 March 2016. The only very minor issue has been warranty replacement of rear door trims – clearly this was a common thing that has hopefully been resolved at source by now.

Road noise? Well, yes, but how much of that is due the road surface types that seem to be prevalent on UK roads? It always seems so much better – quieter – on continental roads. (Perceived noise generally is also down considerably since switching from a temporarily driven 190 diesel to this petrol version).

Room for improvement? Yes, more lateral support for the seats, please – not exactly suited to 'enthusiastic' cornerning. Also, the DSG box could do with at least one more gear. To really nit-pick: carpets seemed better quality in the Superb II – though my memory of that has faded really quickly. Oh, and 'others' have LED headlights: can I have some please? HUD would also be nice...

Def agree with the carpets... I was hoping for a step up in quality from the Octavia but it seems identical. One redeeming thing is that the rubber matts are such a fantastic fit combines with the transmission tunnel cover.... Pretty much keeps crap off the carpet...

I'll see how the vibration goes over the next week or so.... I have a 5 year warranty so I'm not overly concerned. Car due first service in a month.

Things to sort :

Replace wheel centres with spiderweb.

Vibration in centre console

Vibration in divers side cubby.... I have fixed this with a rubber grommet but may as well mention it now the centre console is playing up.

A vibration / resonance from under the car when hitting around 1800 / 1900 rpm. Only hear it when windows open but when honing with lots of 2nd and 3rd gear it can be annoying.... Sounds like an exhaust heat shield.

Ask them to check wear on the rear disks as per our other thread. This cant be right. My cars only done 6k miles. My Scout had 25k on the clock when it went and the rear discs looks brand new. Just like the front in fact.

12.5k down the road on my 1.4tsi ACT.

Driver's door bright work trim needs sorting,

Rear two thirds seat upright clonks when engaged and locked in place,

There is a vibration somewhere connected with the driver's doorcard, possibly the inner guide bit for the window, this is not especially annoying as it only buzzes when I catch a cat eye or the like when changing lanes at motorway speeds.

And rear brake discs are badly marked but I actually think it's because of under use and without a old school hand brake I can't clean them up.

On a different note, I saw for the first and only time to date a mk3 Superb broken down on the M3 this morning with AA man poking around under the bonnet!

12.5k down the road on my 1.4tsi ACT.

Driver's door bright work trim needs sorting,

Rear two thirds seat upright clonks when engaged and locked in place,

There is a vibration somewhere connected with the driver's doorcard, possibly the inner guide bit for the window, this is not especially annoying as it only buzzes when I catch a cat eye or the like when changing lanes at motorway speeds.

And rear brake discs are badly marked but I actually think it's because of under use and without a old school hand brake I can't clean them up.

On a different note, I saw for the first and only time to date a mk3 Superb broken down on the M3 this morning with AA man poking around under the bonnet!

Cant remember who... Maybe Phil ? But whoever said they engaged the handbrake at about 20 and that cleaned them up..... I tried this at about 10.... Car rolling in neutral ... Hold handbrake lever to engage..... I nearly smashed my head on the wheel !!! Not keen to do that again ...

Cant remember who... Maybe Phil ? But whoever said they engaged the handbrake at about 20 and that cleaned them up..... I tried this at about 10.... Car rolling in neutral ... Hold handbrake lever to engage..... I nearly smashed my head on the wheel !!! Not keen to do that again ...

Yes I tried this too and seems a rather mechanically unsympathetic means of cleaning up the rear discs. Certainly don't do it above 20mph and make sure no one is behind you. Maybe I need to remove the rear discs and have then skimmed to remove the scoring and try again?

Well I should have kept my mouth shut lol ! Mine started yesterday with the vibration which sounds like its behind the central vents...

Update on this .... It was the Dashcam Mount !! :giggle:

• Like 1

I have had 2 minor rattles both of which I have solved. One was the boot cover touching against some hard plastic and the flap on the inner end rattling against the rear of the seats, sorted that with some judicious pieces of tape. The other I finally tracked down the other day to the seat belt adjuster on the passenger side. It was against the bottom stop but not locked in. I had been looking on the rear door, the glove box, the passenger door card, evreywhere except where it was coming from doh!

As far as I can tell the lowest locked position on the seat belt is about 1/3rd the way up and not right against the bottom stop. Am I right or do I have a potential fault?

With the adjuster properly locked off and the tape I am back to whisper humming on the move. (it's an oil burner). Yes there is too much road noise from the tyres but that is understandable given the tyre size, type fitted and profile. Also easy to sort on tyre change with a move to quieter tyres.

I had the faulty rear suspension knocking but that has been well sorted with the replacements fitted under the TSB finally issued about 6 months ago by Skoda.

It is much quieter than the Merc C Class estate it replaced and competes well with SWMBO's S type Jag for comfort. It poodles around comfortably and managed exceptionally well on a Euro trip down to Austria earlier in the year.

All in all I am still very happy (even though I know I would have been even happier with a proper engine under the bonnet  :'(  )

• Like 1