Water filters & purification in your detailing regime

samuir1974

Updated result inc BD9...

A very localised check to conclude my water tests in the Bradford postcodes of West Yorkshire.

I've used my original TDS meter plus a 2nd back-up to check at home, at work and at the next village - where i used to live.

BD18 = 80ppm.

BD17 = 75ppm.

BD16 = 78ppm.

BD9 = 100ppm.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick check really on how your finding the water filter?

Seems a lot more people are taking the plunge and getting kitted out with these.. it's on my list of things to get!

Hey Karl - water filter system still running fine on the home front.

Pretty much embedded in my detailing routine now.

I also took some time to mix up some solutions for APC, QD, Interior cleaner and such like at the weekend.

All now using the filtered water and  thats how i plan to continue on that side of things.

No longer using a drying aid - certainly during this test phase; and rinse is filtered water only and results are good.

We need to arrange a detailing day some time soon and see what you think of the setup.... :thumbup:

• Like 1

Hey Karl - water filter system still running fine on the home front.

Pretty much embedded in my detailing routine now.

I also took some time to mix up some solutions for APC, QD, Interior cleaner and such like at the weekend.

All now using the filtered water and thats how i plan to continue on that side of things.

No longer using a drying aid - certainly during this test phase; and rinse is filtered water only and results are good.

We need to arrange a detailing day some time soon and see what you think of the setup.... :thumbup:

That's great to know and glad the investment is working for you.

Yeah I'd be up for that no problem!

• Like 1

That's great to know and glad the investment is working for you.

Yeah I'd be up for that no problem!

Cool - i was gonna suggest this Sunday as the .:R36 is a mess.... but actually checking;

Its the Malton Big Breakfast meet....... depends if you fancy a jaunt out to that instead?

I was actually going to message you about that.. I was supposed to be out in Leeds the night before.. so depending on the hangover I wasn't sure..

It's now cancelled so I'll see what the missus has planned for the weekend..

• Like 1

I was actually going to message you about that.. I was supposed to be out in Leeds the night before.. so depending on the hangover I wasn't sure..

It's now cancelled so I'll see what the missus has planned for the weekend..

OK - no worries; just let me know nearer the time. Cheers.

• Like 1

I happened to be messing about in the garage tonight, when the window cleaner turned up around tea-time for payment.

He noticed my DI vessel setup near the pressure washer and quizzed me on the numbers.

He actually runs a similar system for his van  reservoir and window cleaning pole system.

So.... nice to know - he gets a good price on bulk resin and should be able to sort me a good discount price come the time.....  :thumbup:

• Like 1

I happened to be messing about in the garage tonight, when the window cleaner turned up around tea-time for payment.

He noticed my DI vessel setup near the pressure washer and quizzed me on the numbers.

He actually runs a similar system for his van  reservoir and window cleaning pole system.

So.... nice to know - he gets a good price on bulk resin and should be able to sort me a good discount price come the time.....  :thumbup:

That's great news as I have been reasearching it myself and found the resin can be quite pricey depending on how often you use the vessel. Although a good investment non the less with being able to minimise water spotting and making up dilutions of products. I was impressed when we did the R36 and Fabia a few weeks back with how easy it was to dry the car and the way the shampoo mix foamed up etc. Well worth doing if the cash allows it. 

• Like 1

That certainly sounds like a result as the more in bulk you buy the resin, the cheaper it gets :)

• Like 2

Yes - agreed - the ongoing running costs need to be monitored on this to see.

Talking with my window cleaner - he says that he uses the same TDS meters;

and runs the resin in the DI vessels until he sees about 10ppm.

Around that point he stated he notices the drop in rinse performance and refreshes the resin.

So with time... i'll get the info, longevity and running costs together and update.

• Like 2

Just spent a madly extravagant £3.80 on a TDS meter from ebay. Will be interested to see quite how hard the Oxfordshire water is. Expecting a very high number.

I'm no detailer, but a bit of a science geek. :nerd:  :D

• Like 1

So on that basis, you can run it for a while and have quite a window before it needs replacing from 0ppm up to 10ppm which is good to know considering you was running at high 70's before hand. 

Yeah - seen 75-80ppm on my tests locally. Window cleaner says worst in the area is about 150ppm.

One option to consider is buying a 2nd DI vessel when the first one drops off.

The set up a two stage and get another stint thereafter.

Of course.... eventually, the resin should be replaced.... but the options are there.

• Like 1

Just spent a madly extravagant £3.80 on a TDS meter from ebay. Will be interested to see quite how hard the Oxfordshire water is. Expecting a very high number.

Thats how i started.... seemed like a bit of fun for £4.

Next thing i knew i was spending £100 to test out the improvement! Doh!!!  :x  :x  :x

• Like 3

The water in Oxfordshire varies greatly in hardness depending on your location because the supply comes from several different sources.

If you contact Thames Water and give them your postcode, they will supply you with a full water analysis at your address (free) because regular analyses are done throughout the company's supply area.

Arrived just now. The water at work measures 261... Off-the-scale hard, as expected.

Edit: And just a shade higher at home, 266.

Both OX14 postcodes.

On the Thames Water website the hardness scale goes up to 400, is that regionally variable?

Water%20hardness.png

Edited by Wino
  • Like 1

Glad this post is up, was looking at getting something for the home as my car seems to have developed an immovable film since being washed here over the last year... just checked on the local water supplier's site for water quality.......

367.5 mg/l (or parts per million) :Calcium Carbonate     147 mg/l (or parts per million) :Calcium

So combined does that make it 514 ppm?! Would seem about right, the car looks dirtier when its washed!

• Like 1

Thames Water seems to agree pretty well with my meter, for work postcode the CaCO3 number is 288, for home postcode 286.  Well'ard. :D

robt: Calcium is part of calcium carbonate, so you shouldn't be adding them.  Still a big number though, do your kettles scale up like buggery?

Edited by Wino
  • Like 1

Thames Water seems to agree pretty well with my meter, for work postcode the CaCO3 number is 288, for home postcode 286.  Well'ard. :D

robt: Calcium is part of calcium carbonate, so you shouldn't be adding them.  Still a big number though, do your kettles scale up like buggery?

Thankfully we use a brita filter for drinking water, including the kettle. Still not great though!

You can imagine the kind of scaley(sp?) scum thats left over when I "rinse" the car. Definately need a softening solution, though at around £100, the look from the wife says I wont be getting the kit samuir has :sweat::x :peek:

• Like 1