So why did you choose an automatic transmission Skoda?

Over the years I've driven numerous automatic cars, but never ever wanted to own one. I've always been happy slicing though the box manually, and actually enjoyed doing so. Then, near four years ago a serious injury to my knee happened...and I was forced to trade my manual box diesel Fabia estate for an auto tiptronic petrol engined model of the same ilke. The knee was going to take around 15-18 months to heal I was told, so it made sense to buy the auto to allow me to keep driving. Wife was intrigued to try one of these cars that steered itself and changed gear all on it's own!! I explained it wasn't quite like that, and she would still have to steer it!!  Initially we thought we would keep the 1.6 16v petrol tiptronic estate until the knee got better and trade in for a new manual car (the auto was a Skoda approved car as we didn't want to buy an auto new just for 18 months use). But to our surprise, we liked the auto box so much we kept it right up to the present time. So it was kinda forced on me, but I'm glad it was. My wife loves the auto box too and would definitely not go back to a manual...ever! We both feel the same. We've found the auto experience to be engaging and very satisfying, and not something that excludes you from having fun. In fact, quite the reverse. It actually has revitalised our motoring fun! So that's why we just ordered the new hatch model with the DSG box. What a revelation that auto box is...and it's going to be even more fun I reckon. Tech has moved on somewhat eh!

So...why did you buy your auto? Or are you dead against autos like I used to be?

I bought a DSG model because I cover 30 - 35k miles a year and my left knee has cartilage damage and with a manual stuck in stop start traffic can be painful. The wife's car is manual and for most journeys it's not too much trouble for the knee. 

Doubt if I would go back to a manual now I have had two Octavia's with the DSG.

I don't currently own an auto, and my new car is manual too, for no other reason but price.

But for me it's the massive progression made with auto boxes.

I used to own an old Vectra with an old school 4 speed auto, which tbh around town and in traffic was perfectly fine. But out on the open road, felt numb and to be honest couldn't live up to enjoyment of a manual.

But Morden autos now so much better. I've driven several Skodas with DSG boxes when I worked at Dealer, and while for some it won't match the enjoyment of a Manual, it does a pretty good job of keeping the fun in driving on the open twisty roads.

In the right car if I had the budget I'd have an auto all day long. Even something like the Octavia VRS.

To take the point further I currently work for an Iveco Dealer and we have recently seen the introduction of a ZF 8 Speed Box in to the Daily Van (same as the box found in Range Rovers etc), and wow what a box.... Unlike the DSG it doesn't have the Dual Clutch Set up but a more tradional torque converter based job. But even so the changes are as good seamless. If I needed a van for busy areas like city's or towns it would be top my list.

In summery I feel many people (particularly from older generations) when they hear Auto, think of an Old clunky 4 speed type of box. If someone hasnt tried a modern auto I'd encourage them to. I'm not saying it would make you buy one, but it's worth just trying to see the progession made.

• Like 1

I've driven lots of vehicles, pre-select, autos but mainly manuals.

Had my first proper auto experience with a DSG VAG performance car and choose it as it was what was available at the time and found it suited the car.

Now purchased another VAG car (not performance) and ended up with DSG again. Combined with ACC it makes so much sense and when driving around strange cities or towns you can concentrate 100% on the road and road signs whilst not even thinking about gears which makes for stress free driving.

Autos are no where near as engaging as a manual and probably never will but the twin clutch jobbies are a good alternative to the old torque converter types.

Need to try a CVT auto on a car at some point, I hear lots of differing views on these.

Not 100% sure I would stick with DSG/auto for ever.

I'm yet to try a CVT but my Manager at work, has had a Prius and a CT200h, both use CVT boxes, I've been a passenger, they seem OK but not amazing.... But obviously I can't make a solid judgement with out driving one.

I think these people that always instantly snub autos and say things like "I like to be in control", "they're not proper drivers cars" and "they're really slow and rubbish" just either haven't driven a modern auto or have only had a 5 minute drive in one.

I've always had manual cars then got the Octavia over 3 years ago... never looked back and can't be bothered with manual now!

They are worlds apart from the old 3, 4 and 5 speed auto boxes. Even modern torque converters are leaps ahead with quick shifts and a decent spread of ratios etc.

The DSG is a wonderful box and very engaging to drive with it's quick shifts etc.

Quite agree Phil. I love the DSG box and in particular the tiptronic manual side of it for those spirited country road drives! Gives you complete control. My own torque converter, tiptronic box on my old 1.6 is a great box but even that is eclipsed by modern torque converters and of course, the DSG. 

I changed because we managed to get a L&K spec Octavia few months old in 2001 that had auto fitted.

Never gone back to manuals for two reasons, live on the outskirts of London so crawling in traffic is regular and my wife preferred them. Have bought (not leased) five petrol autos since.

The only time we have a manual nowadays is a holiday hire car, but its ok on open roads for a week.

There was one exception, was lent a manual citigo for a day whilst some work was being done on our car, ended up with aching left leg (didn't help that M25 was blocked by accident and it took 80 mins to do 6 miles to Epsom), manual citigos don't seem to go 1 or 2mph without riding the clutch.

Years ago my dad had an Austin Princess with a 3 speed auto, gutless thing with 1.7 engine. Was a different era and modern autos are in a different league.

Would I go back to manual. No not now. My 27 month old Fabia DSG will be sold in a 3 weeks when my new Yeti DSG arrives.

Why a Yeti, have a look at the Yeti forum and offers thread, deals are cheaper than Fabia

I owned a 2.0tdi Octavia DSG and hated it. The clutches are so light and the gearchanges sweet in Skoda's. My DSG car was a taxi so a lot of low speed manoeuvres where I found the drive take up jerky and clunky. The changes once on the move were superb and inperceptible but didn't like it at all. I drove a mates Ibiza Cupra DSG when brand new and it was exactly the same. Clunky and snatchy at take off.

Incidentally, I replaced it with a 6 speed manual 2.0tdi after a year. Same age, mileage and even the same colour. Average mpg on the DSG 38. Average on the manual, 48. That was over 20-25k on each car taxiing. Big difference.

I have owned a lot of Jags, all auto's. Would never have a manual Jag. Have driven 2 manual X types. Truly awful things. My last one was a 2005 XJ6 and the gearbox was wonderful. Totally seamless and that was with 157k. A Jag or other big cars like that really suit autos.

Having said all that, I can fully understand people buying autos in any model/type of car. Just my wee story!

Mine is a similar story to OP's.  I had driven manuals exclusively for 45 years.  But 2 years ago, I was forced (by the return of an old knee injury) to trade in my beloved Roomster TDI for a Roomster DSG .  

Happily, my knee has made a full recovery.  But I have come to like the DSG 'box so much that I would not want to return to a manual.

Enjoy your new car OP  :thumbup:

I have owned a lot of Jags, all auto's. Would never have a manual Jag. Have driven 2 manual X types. Truly awful things. My last one was a 2005 XJ6 and the gearbox was wonderful. Totally seamless and that was with 157k. A Jag or other big cars like that really suit autos.

Got to agree with you there. The same with Mercedes... they make wonderful auto boxes... but I've driven a few of their manuals and they were just awful! Haven't driven anything 2007-ish+ so no idea if they've improved since.

The jags will have been a torque converter which smoothens everything out. The DSG is a good gearbox but will never be as smooth as a torque converter.

Would be nice to see a Superb using the ZF 8 speed auto or similar.

My first experience was my last car, a 2006 Golf R32 with DSG, i bought it because i was intrigued to try a DSG (I had a manual golf gti of the same shape before) and because of my price range there wasn't an awful lot of r32 to choose from so i just bought the nicest one i could find which happened to be DSG.

I loved it apart from at junctions it didn't like to almost coming to a stop and then stamping hard on the accelerator to get out in to traffic, it would be lifeless for a few secs (which is pretty dangerous if you're trying to get out quick) so I had to hold off sometimes and it could be jerky pulling off if you were being a bit lazy and not really controlling the accelerator, you had to let the car roll a bit then put your foot down OR just put your foot down, if you tried anything in between it would be jerky.

That's interesting Jeff. I think the DSG has moved on a bit since. When I went out for a test drive I tried to 'trick' the auto box and get it flummoxed into making wrong decisions, especially at junctions and roundabouts. But, it was fine and didn't put a foot wrong. It responded very well...apart from being a little bit slow to change down from 4th to 3rd on one occasion going through a roundabout, I really couldn't fault it. On that note about slowness to change down from 4th to 3rd, I've noticed a lot of auto boxes are like that. My own tiptronic torque converter box is the same on some occasions. Didn't get any jerkiness either on the DSG. The car I took out for the test had just 8k miles on the clock but was smooth as silk at all times with 3 of us in it. Your Golf box, is I think, a wet clutch. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Interesting to hear your comments though Jeff. 

I went for a DSG at the end of February this year for no other reason but to treat myself in my old age.  Have fancied a DSG for a couple of years so just went for it.  I must say I like the auto box.  My only concern is driving a manual again and forgetting that I have to change gear manually.  But so far so good.

I'm going back many, many years but I had a manual Ford Granada which was writen off when the engine burst into flames, followed by the rest of the car!

My brother-in-law who lived and worked in the City of London and didn't need his car at weekdays, leant me his automatic Talbot Solara (anybody remember those?) for a few weeks.

Although it wasn't a particularly sophisticated box, I quite enjoyed the auto experience and have never looked back at a manual since then, having owned autos - Vauxhall Cavalier, Ford Monado, Renault Magane, Astra Coupe before my present DSG Octavia.

Brilliant box in my experience but why does Honest John, the Telegraph motoring correspondent, not recommend them and knock them at every opportunity?

"So why did you choose an automatic transmission Skoda?"

My preivous Fabia II had the good old high torque/low revs 1.9 TDI, which easily could start in 2nd gear and cruise at idle in 5th gear.

When looking for a new car, thinking that the days of diesel was done, it had to be a petrol.

But petrol engine means no torque and  constant gear change - I thought.

So the obvious solution was DSG to do the job for a gear-lazy driver :)

I bought a new Fabia 1.2tsi SEL DSG after a disastrous purchase of the latest Honda Jazz CVT. What an awful, noisy gearbox mated to the new 1.3 engine and absolutely gutless. I'm thrilled to bits with the Fabia, quick on the junctions and roundabouts, love the DSG seamless changes. I lost cartloads of cash changing the Honda but SO glad I did. The only thing I miss is the 'magic' seats and flat loading boot. A small price to pay for a car that's a joy to drive!

I forgot to mention I'm disabled hence needing an automatic.  :happy:

Edited by bellaboo

Interesting bellaboo, the comments about the Jazz. That was a car I started to look at but decided against due to what appears to be high ownership costs compared to the Skoda. For example, the brake discs and pads seem to wear out very quickly on the jazz even if you are not a heavy braker. I base this assessment on what folks who own them have told me. 18000 mile service and my friend needed new front discs and pads. Cost was almost £600 just for the brakes to be sorted. And he is not the only one who has told me that same story. Also not too good on fuel either. So so glad  you like your new car. I get mine in two days!

18000 for brakes... my Fabia MK2 went 50,000 before wanting just pads, while i would say i dont abuse the breaks they would occasionaly get a work out so i was impressed with that.

Yet a 14 plate Focus i was using wantedpads & Discs after30,000...

Edited by CRASH67

That's interesting Jeff. I think the DSG has moved on a bit since. When I went out for a test drive I tried to 'trick' the auto box and get it flummoxed into making wrong decisions, especially at junctions and roundabouts. But, it was fine and didn't put a foot wrong. It responded very well...apart from being a little bit slow to change down from 4th to 3rd on one occasion going through a roundabout, I really couldn't fault it. On that note about slowness to change down from 4th to 3rd, I've noticed a lot of auto boxes are like that. My own tiptronic torque converter box is the same on some occasions. Didn't get any jerkiness either on the DSG. The car I took out for the test had just 8k miles on the clock but was smooth as silk at all times with 3 of us in it. Your Golf box, is I think, a wet clutch. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Interesting to hear your comments though Jeff. 

Yes I had the older 6 speed wet clutch DSG box. I have nothing to base this on but when I first got my r32 i was looking in to common issues with the dsg boxes and it seemed every issue was coming from the newer 7 speed dry clutch. been such a long time since I looked I cant remember what the issues were 

I wouldve still had a DSG monte instead of my manual as i'll only be keeping it until the end of my PCP anyway so what ever happens after that wouldn't bother me, I just couldn't justify paying extra for something that I didnt need 

Edited by Jeffchiz

Interesting bellaboo, the comments about the Jazz. That was a car I started to look at but decided against due to what appears to be high ownership costs compared to the Skoda. For example, the brake discs and pads seem to wear out very quickly on the jazz even if you are not a heavy braker. I base this assessment on what folks who own them have told me. 18000 mile service and my friend needed new front discs and pads. Cost was almost £600 just for the brakes to be sorted. And he is not the only one who has told me that same story. Also not too good on fuel either. So so glad  you like your new car. I get mine in two days!

Hi Estate Man, hope you're enjoying your new Fabia. Let us know how you're getting on with it. According to the mpg info on the dial I've been averaging 47.8 mixed driving and speeds. So not bad considering the engine hasn't even hit 1000 miles yet.  :happy:

bellaboo, you're doing good with the mpg by the sound of it. We've only covered 125 miles as yet but I note that the mpg indicator is showing 48.9mpg for that total distance travelled, which quite frankly is amazing! That's on mixed motoring, playing with the throttle and gearbox, different speeds etc but so far haven't had the opportunity to cruise at 70 mph on the dual carriageways. I try to avoid that type of driving in the first 100 miles anyway in order to avoid fixed throttle/speed cruising which is not so good for new engines when running in and when I do use the motorways/dual carriageways, I vary speed a little, and the engine load and throttle settings. At the moment I'm not babying it but not thrashing it either. Just driving it normally. Got to say, it's a fantastic car and that DGS box is so smooth as you know. It's the engine that is the major surprise for me, with much more power than I realised. It trounces my older 1.6 Tiptronic petrol estate in every way, and that was a good car. Interior room is much improved too, as is the ride of the car. Handles well in the bends and on bumpy roads. So very happy. Sorted out my free Skoda Ensurance online, just incase it's needed. All in all, we think we made a great choice. You seem happy, is that the case?

i do not have a auto at present but my next car will be as we go to america nearly every other year or more and we have a auto over there (do they have manuals)and love driving them we always do between 1 and 2 thousand miles in the 2 weeks we are there and always seems a pain to change gear when driving back home.also have dodgy knees have done for years and in only 34 

• 1 month later...

I've had two Golf Estates, a Mk6 and Mk7, both with the 1.6 TDi and DSG, the Mk7 with ACC, quite frankly I wouldn't bother with a manual again, they are so much easier to drive, the ACC is great and the stop/start saves me about 5mpg. You can "flummux" them if you try hard enough though I've never, ever, had this "one or two second delay" when setting off at roundabouts that some people mention so I don't know what they are doing to get it to do that, 1 or 2 seconds is quite a long time and I've found the DSG pretty quick to change gear if it needs to...

The reason we have an auto is that the second driver on our Motability car, my daughter, is one of those people who couldn't get the hang of a manual and so has an auto only licence so I've no choice... We also have a Mk1 1.4 auto petrol Fabia with the 4 speed 'box and a Maestro (yes really!) with the 1.6 engine and a 3 speed auto box! The 7 speed DSG is miles ahead of them needless to say...

Whilst on this thread can i ask if anyone has tried or (even better) owns a 1.4 TDi Fabia with the DSG 'box as I am looking at that for the next car? I'd like to go smaller than the Golf but not lose the ACC which is absolutely brilliant so am looking at an SE L Estate with the ACC extra option...

Edited by The PM