Single mass clutch conversion.

Sunray

Hi all,

Recently had to change the clutch on my '03 vRS and had already been searching for a decent replacement. I'm trade, and so get a reasonable discount from all the suppliers, including genuine stuff from TPS.

I keep my car fairly standard, and had planned from the off to replace the clutch and flywheel with genuine standard parts as I didn't want to spoil the original driving experience. However, upon discovering the cost, I started looking further afield, including this forum and its many contributors.

Long story cut short, I bought the kevlar, balanced, lightened single-mass kit from Techniclutch on eBay for £199.99, fitted it and have not looked back. Yes, it's a bit heavier, but nothing desperate (it never even put off the ex-wife from thieving my car when hers needs looking at) and it has a great, positive feel to the bite without excessive shudder when taking-up. Also, the reduced weight makes the engine feel quite a bit perkier.

All in all, a very good value for money kit of parts (considering I'd charge in the region of £800 to supply and fit genuine bits) and would recommend them to anybody considering doing the same.

Allegedly it'll handle anything up to 400bhp. Now, where did I put R-Tech's phone number???

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361435649734?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Like 1

and on many, many, many phone calls - does the OP work for them? Never seen a glowing report about any of their products, Blackpool trading standards have a few cabinets full of complaints too.....

Sachs or Luk it is then for when i get a SMFW conversion!

• Like 1

I really wanted to do a techniclutch conversion on mine when it started to pack up.

Their products looked fantastic and for an almost unbelievable price which made me do a bit of research.....

Ebay feedback isnt very good then if you google technicluch all you seem to get is loads of car clubs / forums slagging them off.

Was enough to put me off so I ended up buying the valeo conversion from ecp.

Was enough to put me off so I ended up buying the valeo conversion from ecp.

I've used a Valeo uprated clutch and SMF conversion before with good results. The clutch was heavier than standard but wasn never an issue

You won't get a SMF conversion from LuK - we don't sell them

I must have got confused with people who have made up the kits themselves, :notme:  as in bought a g60 flywheel and associated bolts separate and then got a LUK VR6 clutch on its own. 

I must have got confused with people who have made up the kits themselves, :notme:  as in bought a g60 flywheel and associated bolts separate and then got a LUK VR6 clutch on its own. 

Yep, that's the best way forward apparently, quite a few reputable places that sell them complete for not much money. Personally I will be sticking with the OE system as and when mine needs doing - I have seen the damage some conversions have done to vehicles in the past.

Yep, that's the best way forward apparently, quite a few reputable places that sell them complete for not much money. Personally I will be sticking with the OE system as and when mine needs doing - I have seen the damage some conversions have done to vehicles in the past.

I've heard of damage being done to diesels which have had the SMF conversion but non for the 1.8t petrol.  What damage has been caused after the conversion?

I'd 100% agree with diesels. I've been dropping the DMF on the 1.8T for many years and haven't seen any gearbox or crankshaft related issues due to that. It might be that the diff rivets explode before that point but there you go.

Exactly what I did above for my Fabia.

Watch some of the cheaper kits, some are paired with an SDI flywheel apparently which is heavier.

I'll only be sticking with the dmf as i can get that nice and cheap through work ????

Have heard about the diff rivets issue, had a tech note about it from Germany a few weeks back, think Ina are doing a repair kit for the box

I'll only be sticking with the dmf as i can get that nice and cheap through work ????

Have heard about the diff rivets issue, had a tech note about it from Germany a few weeks back, think Ina are doing a repair kit for the box

Diff rivet issue is as old as the 02J gearbox. ARP have done a bolt kit for many many years.

Both of those reasons but mainly because it's cheaper.

Seems cheap enough to me https://www.partsinmotion.co.uk/car-parts/clutch/dual-mass-flywheel/luk-clutch-kit-417001911-detail considering that is the DMF and clutch unit as a module kit, only thing missing is the release bearing

Edited by octyal

Seems cheap enough to me https://www.partsinmotion.co.uk/car-parts/clutch/dual-mass-flywheel/luk-clutch-kit-417001911-detail considering that is the DMF and clutch unit as a module kit, only thing missing is the release bearing

Only seems to be the clutch kit though. No flywheel in the title or picture.

Oh well!

Thought I'd give them a try as I do all the work myself, and it only takes a few hours on a weekend to swap it.

So far it seems to be fine, no issues at all, however should it fail I'll look into replacing it with something like an LUK item.

• Like 1