asz vs blt engine ?

tibor987

Generally the Blt's produced slightly more power from factory, some as high as 150.

The blt has a slightly different manifold, the main difference being the EGR setup which is coolant cooled. I think there may be differences in the anti shudder valve too. They're the newer of the engines so most should have less mileage.

Nothing wrong with ASZ though either.

In terms of modifying and final output there is very little difference generally.

JRJG

In terms of ultimate power, very little, though the ASZ is less trouble if swapping out components for bigger power. BLT cars are obviously newer.

BLT has a water cooled EGR which also seems to mean it warms up a lot quicker in winter.... According to little bro who has a BLT Ibiza FR.

The BLT is a greener engine if that's worth anything to you.

BLTs are more power out of the box, but they both remap to the same maximum power so the power uplift on a 'good' BLT can be as little as 15bhp from a remap, whereas ASZs will get you 30-40bhp extra.

My car came with a BLT and it's been very, very, reliable over 250,000 miles but the ASZ should be every bit as reliable.

If you search long and hard, you will find some small issues with Mk I Fabias but really they are incredibly well-made and reliable cars.There are some dogs out there, but if you buy from a known source (like someone from Briskoda) the chances of getting one of those are markedly reduced. And you're doing the right thing by researching thoroughly before buying. Personally, I'd stay away from anything that's been messed about with ie. remapped, fitted with coilovers etc. because the likelihood of getting one that's been abused goes up exponentially as the age of the cars goes up and the age of the owners (and length of ownership) comes down. The flip side to that is that buying a well-modified car can save you thousands. But how do you know it's been well modified?

The BLT is a greener engine if that's worth anything to you.

BLTs are more power out of the box, but they both remap to the same maximum power so the power uplift on a 'good' BLT can be as little as 15bhp from a remap, whereas ASZs will get you 30-40bhp extra.

My car came with a BLT and it's been very, very, reliable over 250,000 miles but the ASZ should be every bit as reliable.

If you search long and hard, you will find some small issues with Mk I Fabias but really they are incredibly well-made and reliable cars.There are some dogs out there, but if you buy from a known source (like someone from Briskoda) the chances of getting one of those are markedly reduced. And you're doing the right thing by researching thoroughly before buying. Personally, I'd stay away from anything that's been messed about with ie. remapped, fitted with coilovers etc. because the likelihood of getting one that's been abused goes up exponentially as the age of the cars goes up and the age of the owners (and length of ownership) comes down. The flip side to that is that buying a well-modified car can save you thousands. But how do you know it's been well modified?

As to your last comment I don't agree.  My experience of buying (modified) and modifying many cars is that if you are careful with what you buy they are more often than not far better maintained than many standard examples.  Modified does not automatically equal 'ragged' or driven without mechanical sympathy, or poorly maintained.

Also older owners still drive modified and older cars!! I am below 50 but not 40 and would have cars in that category.

Buy based on condition, history, maintenance and your impressions of the owner (I never buy 2nd hand from a dealer).  A short period of ownership (a few months) would put me off however without a very good and evidenced reason.

• Like 1

It depends what you want from the car to which one i would feel is better.

If i bought another one as a project car id get ASZ since they are easier to get aprts for, bolt on upgrade turbos etc... as the BLT doesnt have many if you wanted to keep the EGR valve, which i did.

If you want a daily driver then a remapped BLT will be great, my special edition was wonderful, never let me down and gave great mpg figures.

There are a threads on the subject, if you search, but basically ASZ is Euro 3 and  BLT is Euro 4 compliant. (Different CO2 rating, but don't think it effects tax). The BLT has a different EGR setup and can produce a slight stutter, however it can be easily fixed, (thread in "useful topics" section). There maybe differences in gearbox ratios, but I thinks that's to with age of car, not engine changes.

The BLT produces a little more power, I've seen a stock 07 SE with 155 BHP, which makes them a very tasty motor!

As to your last comment I don't agree.  My experience of buying (modified) and modifying many cars is that if you are careful with what you buy they are more often than not far better maintained than many standard examples.  Modified does not automatically equal 'ragged' or driven without mechanical sympathy, or poorly maintained.

Also older owners still drive modified and older cars!! I am below 50 but not 40 and would have cars in that category.

Buy based on condition, history, maintenance and your impressions of the owner (I never buy 2nd hand from a dealer).  A short period of ownership (a few months) would put me off however without a very good and evidenced reason.

I don't think I posted anything different to what you have written.

The vast majority of original vRS owners were not 18-25 year olds. They were 25-40 year olds. They kept the car for 2-5 years and many left them standard. By the time they reached the second or third owners most of these cars would have had some modification and the age of the owners drops as the age of the car increases. Young people tend to buy cheaper cars. Young men tend not to have a great deal of mechanical sympathy and the younger the driver the more likely it is in my mind that the car will have been abused. Not always. But more than likely.

I never said that older folks don't drive modified cars. After all, I do. What I meant was that older people tend to be more interested in getting it done right by someone they know and trust than getting it done locally and cheap. And a 40-year old has had 23 years to find a decent mechanic. A 17 year old is just starting looking.

And I pointed out that buying a good modified car would save someone a lot of money if they wanted a modified car. But a badly modified car is a disaster.

The question remains though - how do you spot a well modified car?

• Like 1

Very good point WJA96

I offered mine for sale once, won't again, you had your chance :)

I am that hard to find 1 owner, slightly more mature driver, albeit now with 130K. But I think the car will do double.

Its seen me from my 30's to my 40's and still going - who knows maybe 50's ! - what a car !

I use it to just chuck the miles on now, its what you would call " a good runner " - and gonna keep on running.

You can get the reverse is true, rather than buying " a well maintained examples" it can often be in reality its really an old car, your done with it so pass on to someone else, and you have to wonder why someone really wants to sell it, what are they trying to hide.

Although this is less likely to be seen on forums where people could be named and shamed if they post a lot, admittedly.

Very good luck with finding a pristine used one, having owner mine from new to now, I wouldn't want to buy any used Fabia mk1 - but then again they are peanuts anyway, mine was 11.5K of my own money from new - anyone else bought new and still own !

When it breaks it might go to parts, or fix and keep running if these old style diesels don't get ruled off the roads anyway by future legislation, you never know.

• Like 1