Rear Left ABS Speed Sensor

Three times now, my ABS, TC, and TPMS lights have come on.  Straight away I guessed an ABS sensor, and my VCDS scan appears to confirm it:

Address 01: Engine (CCZ) Labels: 06J-907-115-CCZ.clb

Part No SW: 1Z0 907 115 G

1 Fault Found:

053271 - Please Check Fault Codes in Control Module for ABS Brakes

U1017 - 007 - - Intermittent

Freeze Frame:

Fault Status: 00100111

Fault Priority: 0

Fault Frequency: 3

Reset counter: 255

Mileage: 118294 km

Time Indication: 0

Date: 2014.14.21

Time: 11:23:44

Freeze Frame:

RPM: 2367 /min

Load: 11.4 %

Speed: 47.0 km/h

Temperature: 72.0°C

Temperature: 23.0°C

Absolute Pres.: 1000.0 mbar

Voltage: 13.843 V

Address 03: ABS Brakes (-----) Labels: 1K0-907-379-60EC1F.clb

Part No SW: 1K0 907 379 AN 

1 Fault Found:

00290 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Rear Left (G46)

003 - Mechanical Failure - Intermittent

Freeze Frame:

Fault Status: 00100011

Fault Priority: 1

Reset counter: 105

Mileage: 118260 km

Date: 2014.14.20

Time: 07:32:02

Freeze Frame:

Count: 0

Count: 4608

Count: 77

Count: 49458

Count: 781

Address 44: Steering Assist Labels: 1Kx-909-14x-44.clb

Part No: 1K0 909 144 H

1 Fault Found:

01316 - ABS Control Module

013 - Check DTC Memory - Intermittent

Freeze Frame:

Fault Status: 00101101

Fault Priority: 3

Reset counter: 105

Mileage: 118294 km

Date: 2014.14.21

Time: 11:23:42

Freeze Frame:

Voltage: 13.88 V

DU

Temperature: 21.0°C

RPM: 2394 /min

Speed: 48.0 km/h

Speed: 48.0 km/h

Can anyone confirm for me that this is indeed the case, and is 1K0927807 the correct replacement part number?

Thanks!

It may be the ring in the hub and not the sensor.

Is that something I can check myself by removing the wheel?

Just a thought; I recently had the rear discs and pads changed. Could it be that the sensor isn't securely fastened?  Where are they so I may check them?

Edited by planehazza

The sensor pokes through the hub and is held by a small fastener, its unlikely that it has come loose as the hole can be quite tight once they get a bit of corrosion.

I have only ever had rear ABS sensors fail due to the wheel bearing being worn and it ends up rubbing away at the end

• Like 1

Is that something I can check myself by removing the wheel?

Just a thought; I recently had the rear discs and pads changed. Could it be that the sensor isn't securely fastened? Where are they so I may check them?

The sensor fits into the back of the hub. Follow the wire, on the rear there will only be one.

• Like 1

As per post#7 I am afraid, my VRS Pre-FL hub/sensor failed after 7 years with the same indications amd it cost a fair amount at the dealers which Warranty Direct refused to cover even the agreed percentage due to corrosion vice a simple ABS sensor failure. They eventually paid £220 but by then they'd lost my custom. If you can source parts and are handy with spanners etc then good luck.

• Like 1

The rear bearings on these cars are a piece of cake to fit but if you haven't got the tools already it would be cheaper to just pay for it doing

Getting the carrier bolts undone is an absolute pain without the car on a ramp and an impact gun.

• Like 1

Thanks all. I was planning on getting billsteins fitted and it would make sense to do all this.  Now I can't help but consider it may be better to sell the car on :/  There are a few niggles with it that I fear might cost in the long run...

I did mine on my vrs on the drive all you need is a trolley jack an m14 1/2inch spline bit £5 on ebay and a 3 foot breaker bar, I got my rear bearing from euros for £70 the hardest part was the caliper carrier bolts I cracked them with the breaker bar bit by bit and they came loose, I also used the breaker bar on the bearing bolt and it cracked it no problem all in took about an hour on the drive and cost £75 for the m14 spline tool and the bearing .

• Like 1

I did mine on my vrs on the drive all you need is a trolley jack an m14 1/2inch spline bit £5 on ebay and a 3 foot breaker bar, I got my rear bearing from euros for £70 the hardest part was the caliper carrier bolts I cracked them with the breaker bar bit by bit and they came loose, I also used the breaker bar on the bearing bolt and it cracked it no problem all in took about an hour on the drive and cost £75 for the m14 spline tool and the bearing .

Also need a torque wrench for the 200 Nm plus 180 degrees for the hub bolt (depending on spec).

• Like 1

I don't have a torque wrench nor a breaker bar.  I'd rather just pay my mate to do it rather than me struggle around with rusty bolts and the wrong tools. 

The fault appears to be constant now.  Binged on again this morning and hasn't gone off the dash this time.

Just had a quote back for £217 for sensor and bearing.  Will I need to replace the sensor? The quote for the bearing alone was £140.

Normally you won't get a mechanical fault with a sensor.

Thanks.  I'm not really confident with VCDS etc so when I read the logs I just assumed it was pointing to the sensor.

This morning, I started the car up, and ABS was on the dash on it's own right from the start, Had no choice but to drive it anyway and take it easy.  I'll have to check again tonight.  I'm probably ordering my B12s from ebay.de today so will hope to get it all fitted next week.