Washer pump problems!

KBPhoto

When you do get the front bumper off, this link shows which parts of the pump do what.

It's a pity that the link on that page to the front bumper removal don't actually work...

Those two bolts (on each side) are a real bugger to get out! Had to remove the wheel arch liners to get access to the bolts!

I'v only partly removed the wheel arch liner on the driver's side and managed to worm my hand and a 10mm socket on to the bolt heads and wind them out. Not looking forward to putting them back.

Turns out it's not the pump that is faulty as with no pipe connected it squirts out water pretty well. Pipe in place and barely a dribble.

So, I removed one of the washer nozzles and still virtually nothing coming out. (I'll check the other one to make sure it is both of them).

Conclusion (?): there must be a blockage in the pipe somewhere.

Does this seem reasonable? If so, any thoughts on how to clear it without removing half the car to get the whole pipe out?

^ ^ perhaps a small pair of snipe nosed pliers and a small block of wood to act as fulcrum - I have some for model making etc that work fine, but they are small, got em in a kit from maplins some years ago!

Edited by Frenchtone

19 minutes ago, KBPhoto said:

any thoughts on how to clear it without removing half the car to get the whole pipe out?

How about removing the pipe from the pump and putting a vacuum on it to suck any blockage back out, it will not come out of the nozzles.

Worth a try. Thank you. I'll give that a go before my idea as it would involve less removal of parts.

My thought was to remove the under bonnet insulation and (hopefully) find a T-piece near the washer nozzles, disconnect this and blow back down the pipe with a high pressure bike pump.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Frenchtone said:

^ ^ perhaps a small pair of snipe nosed pliers and a small block of wood to act as fulcrum - I have some for model making etc that work fine, but they are small, got em in a kit from maplins some years ago!

The bolts hold the bumper to the metal side panels and screw out! Have I missed something?

Have you tried hand hot water? pumping water

through the washers might help dissolve any

crud. Changing washer fluid makes can sometimes

cause "reaction" blockages.

Incidently I prefer the VW fluid

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gumdrop said:

Have you tried hand hot water? pumping water

through the washers might help dissolve any

crud. Changing washer fluid makes can sometimes

cause "reaction" blockages.

Incidently I prefer the VW fluid

Washer fluid blockage sounds interesting as I did change from one version of washer fluid to another recently. However, they were both Quantum branded screen wash but with different dilution ratios! Was never convinced the newer one was as good as the older one as it worked out more expensive!

I will try warm water initially and then add some form of detergent if needs be; but I have given up for today as it has been very cold in the wind today and its also started raining.

Also considering poking a wire down the tube to see if I can dislodge anything.

I did manage to pump air back down the pipe so that I can now blow through it myself (couldn't before) and get bubbles coming up inside the washer bottle. Still only a trickle of froth coming out of the pipe leading to the nozzles though!

Edited by KBPhoto

11 minutes ago, Frenchtone said:

^ if you  have some strimmer cord(nylon) try that before wire, less likely to puncture the tube!

I've got lots of that (but no wire) and will give that a go as well. Thank you.

Edited by KBPhoto
Poor typing!

I found the problem this morning fairly quickly. I attached a funnel to the washer fluid pipe by the bonnet and disconnected the other end from the washer bottle. Theory being that water 'should' at least trickle through as air got through last night.

When I started pouring water in the funnel backed up very quickly suggesting that the blockage was very close to the bonnet end of the pipe.

A bit of flexing the pipe and feeling it showed a deformity near the bonnet hinge.

Basically at some point the flexible pipe work by the hinge had come away from the SIDE of the hinge and was sat UNDER the hinge and had become compressed by the hinge when the bonnet was closed.

IMG_8685.JPG

A bit of manipulation at the compressed section and water was able to flow smoothly through the pipe again.

If you own a Yeti, I'd advise you to keep an eye on this pipe to ensure that it stays down the side of the hinge and doesn't get squashed.

IMG_8686.JPG

So so I didn't need to buy a new pump or take off the front bumper! But if I hadn't I doubt that I would have discovered where the problem was.

Now to put it all back together once it has stopped raining...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KBPhoto said:

Just wish I hadn't felt compelled to take the front bumper off!

I'm just glad you shared all this useful information with us! - Thanks.....Tony

• Like 1

That's what this forum is all about (I hope): Sharing information.

If one person learns it the hard way, someone else may be able to avoid making the same mistakes.

I'm thankful to all the people who contributed their thoughts and suggestions to me in order that I may resolve my problem.

Anyone want to buy a washer pump?

Edited by KBPhoto
Spelling corrections
  • Like 1