Xenon to halogen conversion

Anything is possible!

You'd need:

- New headlights

- Headlight range adjustment dial

- Replacement connectors for the headlights

- Wiring to get the range adjustment to work

- Coding to activate the halogen bulb check

Out of curiosity, what's the reason for it as most people would want to do the opposite!

• Like 1

Had a fender bender 3 years ago, the guy that repaired it put a standard bumper on covering the washers to save costs, it has been fine through 3 mot's but now it's failed, just weighing up what is cheaper, new bumper and possibly a washer coz I doubt one of them is functional, or to fit standard headlights

My understanding for the MOT is that:

Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system. Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.

Do the washers still work making a puddle or are they completely disabled?

If they are completely disabled with no cutouts on the bumper, it shouldn't be a reason for failure. You can claim they are not fitted and therefore are untestable.

Disclaimer:

Although it should pass an MOT given the above wording, it doesn't make it 'road legal' as it no longer meets the ECE regs that allow the use of HID's on UK roads. Ideally you would get them refitted/fixed but if you keep the lenses clean it shouldn't be much of a worry.

• Like 1

If you still have all of the washers behind the bumber, but they're just disabled, it's possible just to cut out the holes in the bumper and put the covers on?

I'm guessing they are still there as it was the wing and end of the bumper that were damaged, will have to investigate. Hopefully there just disabled at the fuse and I can cut new holes and add covers.

Can't you just swap the bulbs to Halogen, modify the wiring harness and recode in VCDS?  The headlamp leveling might still work saving you having to fit the manual adjuster.

i once removed factory Xenons set up from a mk5 golf and fitted the standard headlights

dealer was going to send the car to auction and one of the guys at the dealer wanted the xenons

standard headlights

wiring changes with new headlamp plugs

adjustment dial in the cabin for headlight range