SKY Q

VRS Mike

Does anyone have the new SKY Q box with an additional multiroom box? I'm trying to find out if they require a connection to the satellite or not? We are redecorating our lounge and I'd rather not have a satellite connection running across the room.

Thanks 

Ive got skyQ just not multiroom. But from what i understand the skyQ minibox connects to the main box via wifi so no need for cables

^^^ What he said - from the adverts they don't need a separate dish feed to each box. You could achieve the same effect using Sky Go and a Chromecast type dongle via a tablet/smartphone, rather than forking out for Sky Q boxes

^^^ What he said - from the adverts they don't need a separate dish feed to each box. You could achieve the same effect using Sky Go and a Chromecast type dongle via a tablet/smartphone, rather than forking out for Sky Q boxes

Ive got skyQ just not multiroom. But from what i understand the skyQ minibox connects to the main box via wifi so no need for cables

Thanks for the info, this backs up what I thought, one box connected to satellite the other via wifi.

My contract is up so I phoned to play the cancel card and they actually let me cancel (whoops!!!). Just been offered 50% off but I really want the Q boxes especially if it means I don't have to have a satellite feed into one of the boxes as this means I can move my TV around the room more easily! 

What do you think of the Q boxes? I'll leave it a couple of weeks then see if they will offer me the Q boxes and a discount, fingers crossed

Thanks for the info, this backs up what I thought, one box connected to satellite the other via wifi.

My contract is up so I phoned to play the cancel card and they actually let me cancel (whoops!!!). Just been offered 50% off but I really want the Q boxes especially if it means I don't have to have a satellite feed into one of the boxes as this means I can move my TV around the room more easily!

What do you think of the Q boxes? I'll leave it a couple of weeks then see if they will offer me the Q boxes and a discount, fingers crossed

Ive only had it 24hrs but so far seems pretty good better than the clunky virgin media I had

We cancelled ours at the beginning  of October, have now got the same package back at 60% off :)

Leave it a week or two, check the website via your account and there will be a link for "Left sky in the last 12 months" - use that for the best deals - we have left it for 6 weeks before now, and ended up with 12 months full package for free

We cancelled ours at the beginning  of October, have now got the same package back at 60% off :)

Leave it a week or two, check the website via your account and there will be a link for "Left sky in the last 12 months" - use that for the best deals - we have left it for 6 weeks before now, and ended up with 12 months full package for free

They are already offering 50% off, I want the SKY Q as well though, not sure if I can get both. I'll update when I renegotiate 

Google 'Money Saving Expert Sky Q' iIrc they had an article recently stating Sky Q was becoming standard with some packages.

I didn't pay particular attention to it as my contract has a fair way to go.

It's am expensive upgrade but cheap as chips for a new customer. Currently cheaper than any normal box packages.

If I played the cancel card and the bluff was called both SWMBO & the kids would murder me.

SkyQ doesn't need the dish at all, but does need Sky Internet. The box also remains the property of sky forever. If you leave, they'll be round for the boxes.

You can't transfer recordings from your old box which is ridiculous.

It's am expensive upgrade but cheap as chips for a new customer. Currently cheaper than any normal box packages.

If I played the cancel card and the bluff was called both SWMBO & the kids would murder me.

SkyQ doesn't need the dish at all, but does need Sky Internet. The box also remains the property of sky forever. If you leave, they'll be round for the boxes.

You can't transfer recordings from your old box which is ridiculous.

I assume you mean the Sky Q "mini box" doesn't require a dish because the main hub sure does.

I assume you mean the Sky Q "mini box" doesn't require a dish because the main hub sure does.

Just going off the adverts on TV and radio which say no more holes or need of a dish.

But crafty if sky are hiding the need of a dish.

I bump into Sky engineers regularly, so I'll ask them about sky Q. I've seen them picking up deliveries of Q branded boxes so assume that they're shifting enough of them to not worry about offering existing customers a decent deal.

Anybody worried about quitting don't be. They will do anything they can to keep you as a customer. Massive discounts, free stuff, Bill credits - I got all of this when in was going to leave.

I was prepared to actually let the TV go off but didn't need to in the end. The key is to leave your broadband and phone line running as if you cancel that it can take weeks to get it back. If you cancel TV they can switch it all back on within a few minutes once you have negotiated a deal.

Happy negotiating!

I don't have broadband with sky. I'm unfortunately stuck with a substandard BT provider. I'll give it a couple of weeks and then call them. It's still early days lol.

When I told my son yesterday I'd cancelled it he didn't look pleased. My lad loves his documentaries

come up to a stumbling point with this. Sky are offering me 50% discount but don't know if this will be transferable to Sky Q if I upgrade!

I'm going to wait a couple of weeks and try again to see if they have an answer

I went the other way, stuck with Virgin but played the I'm moving to Sky Q story.

Actually wanted Sky, looked good but unsure of what the internet would be like. Would have had to have a the phone line installed again which is a small add on fee but no big deal.

Anyway turned out I got a really good stop with Virgin deal, extra channels and BT sport thrown in for 12 months.

Will give Sky another try in 12 months.

• 4 weeks later...

OK so I took the plunge for SKY Q, 2TB STB plus one mini-box. £100 upfront cost which includes set-up and apparently the dish needs a new LNB plus realignment (runs on a different satellite). Old HD STB will not work.

Minibox runs from main STB

Downside is that I have to wait until second week January for installation.

OK so I took the plunge for SKY Q, 2TB STB plus one mini-box. £100 upfront cost which includes set-up and apparently the dish needs a new LNB plus realignment (runs on a different satellite). Old HD STB will not work.

Minibox runs from main STB

Downside is that I have to wait until second week January for installation.

I've not approached them to see if I can upgrade, I'm on a month by month rolling contract with a discount slightly about 50% off.

Let us know how you get on with it once you get it installed.

• 4 weeks later...

Well it's here but what a chore it has been.

• Firstly engineer text me so I ask about Loftbox installation. Texts back needs to be removed.
  • So I had to trash my splitter plate in the front room so only the sky feeds were present.
  • SkyQ signals can't be mixed with FTA terrestrial so only TV's upstairs connected to loftbox have freeview.
  • New dish and LNB fitted
  • No ethernet connections used all WIFI which is mental as I have 1GB Ethernet in the house. Going to see if I can change this.
  • Very much aimed at you having all sky as boxes become 5GHz hotspots
  • Needed booster for minibox as main box feeds this, again I will try to set up ethernet.
  • BAD POINT I found searching today is that SKYQ is on Watchdog tomorrow night.

not once was I asked if I had any distribution etc that might need re jigging.

Need to play with it to see just what it does but it's pretty future proof as the LNB's are wide band.

Will update if I get Ethernet working

It's a bit "old hat" now though isn't it. I mean recording stuff, I could do this 5 years ago with Humax Foxsat box and some revised firmware.
For those interested - https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/humax-h3.html Humax also have launched a couple of freeview boxes that do that same thing. (TV / recording over wifi.)

I've not recorded anything in ages - I usually just stream using one of the catch up services.