Xenon Headlights?

Quick question about headlights.

My front left dipped beam blew on my 2012 VRS today. I think they're Xenon headlights but not 100% sure. Is there any easy way to know if they're Xenon or normal lights without taking the headlight unit out and checking what kind of bulb is in it?

The housing has a lens on the dipped beam which kinda makes me think it's xenon.

They are just the projector.

The easiest way is to see if there is a height adjustment (knurled knob) next to the light switch, xenons have auto levelling (so no knurled knob) halogens have the knurled knob.

Looks like good news for me. I have a knurled knob :p

At least I won't have to hand over 120 euro to the local motor factors now for a D1S bulb. Can get some nice Osrams or Philips for a quarter of the price instead :)

Thanks folks

Oh, I don't have washers for the headlights either.

Looks like good news for me. I have a knurled knob :p

At least I won't have to hand over 120 euro to the local motor factors now for a D1S bulb. Can get some nice Osrams or Philips for a quarter of the price instead :)

Thanks folks

Oh, I don't have washers for the headlights either.

Good news then - I found the best bulbs to use were PIAA Xtreme White Plus. On the pricier side of Halogen bulbs, but 1) they actually last (2 years I had mine in and sold the car with them still super bright and working) and 2) they are actually much brighter than standard bulbs.

Tried Osram Nightbreakers, and apart from being a bit more white they were cr@p.

You won't have headlight washers if you don't have Xenons as mentioned :thumbup: I think the guy who commented may have a Scout, but definitely not on vRS.

the headlight washers would have been an extra on the vRS, the cutouts are in the bumper for them.

Have to get the bulbs in Halfords unfortunately (need the bulbs today and Halfords are across the road from work) so I'm limited to theirs, GE or Bosch. The Bosch +90% ones seem to be the best of the bunch that they have. Might order a set of the PIAAs and use them when the Bosch ones blow in 2-3 months :p

the headlight washers would have been an extra on the vRS, the cutouts are in the bumper for them.

Have to get the bulbs in Halfords unfortunately (need the bulbs today and Halfords are across the road from work) so I'm limited to theirs, GE or Bosch. The Bosch +90% ones seem to be the best of the bunch that they have. Might order a set of the PIAAs and use them when the Bosch ones blow in 2-3 months :p

Get the Halfords own brand ones (assuming they still do them) They are made by Ring and re-packaged in Halfords Own Label. They will do a +130% bulb :thumbup:

Any time I've got a halfords branded bulb in the last number of years they've blown after a few months. The GE and bosch ones they have always last a good while.

Got 2 Bosch +90% H7s for €29 so not too bad. They're doing a 2 for 1 at the moment.

As this topic is slightly on par with what I was going to ask (So I'm sorry if this hijacks) I have normal halogens currently, but the units are awful. I've tried polishing, wet sanding them ect but honestly, it's easier to get second hand ones.

This got me thinking, How much of a straight swap would it be to replace these ones, with the Xenon units? Plug right in as normal? Coding/VAGCOM needed?

. The GE and bosch ones they have always last a good while.

and use them when the Bosch ones blow in 2-3 months :p

Do the Bosch ones last, or not????

If your headlights are that bad, I'd replace the halogen units and use a good LED conversion kit. Much easier install and they don't require washers etc.

ECE regs state that all LED front lighting systems need self-levelling. Those that are capable of above 2000lm also require washers.

You're fitting a non standardised light source into a unit that is only designed for halogen bulbs, the results will vary depending what LED is fitted. The cutoff should be OK due to it being a projector but there is no guarantee the light distribution under the cut off is at all suitable. I would also be worried about heat build up given most aftermarket LED conversions I've seen.

If you really want LED lighting, then you should really replace the entire projector with an LED unit. This will solve the light distribution issues but you'll still need at least levelling and probably washers to approach anything near to a legal retrofit.

awaiting the "but HIDs aren't legal" replies that usually follow

But it won't legal Mike! ;)

It's all down to the car owner it to weigh up the pros/cons and make an informed decision.

As far as I'm concerned, as long as it's in projector style lights, suitably adjusted and kept clean I'm mostly happy :)

Depends on whether his car is a preFL or a FL. LED/HID conversions are not recommended on tehFL as they have been commonly known to fry the BCM.

Mike

stupid question....whats the bcm?

interesting thread , considering putting hid's in my own car

stupid question....whats the bcm?

interesting thread , considering putting hid's in my own car

Body Control Module

It's an ECU that controls all sorts of things from lights to door locks and window motors