All season tyres for yeti 4x4

Robunderoak

Hi. Having just bought a yeti 4x4' it has continental tyres contact 3. They are 225/50 r17 v rating I think.

Not sure if they are standard with the car, but seem to be more if a summer tyre. Has anyone switched to all season tyres, cross climate etc. Any thoughts, recommendations. I don't really want two sets of tyres really. Many thanks. Cheers. Rob

Hi, thanks for your reply. Are you putting on these on your yeti?

I had the 1st generation on my Yeti for over 40k miles and it is currently sitting on a new set of the 2nd generation versions. Love 'em!

We had Good-Year Vector AllSeasons on our old Golf before we got the Yeti. Bloody good tyre. They have the M&S * marking and are legal as winter tyres.

I didn't know Marks & Spencer did tyres  :p

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've had Goodyear 4 Seasons on mine for over 100k miles of driving, all over the UK, in all weathers. I have the Gen 2 on it now. They're relatively quiet, long-lasting, yield decent economy (averages 45+ mpg) and I've never got into any difficulty in mud or snow (and I run wildlife photography tours throughout the Scottish Highlands during the winter).

Auto Express have just rated them as the top all season tyre too this week.

They're not cheap, but in this country, with the varying weather and temperatures, with the 4wd on the Yeti, they make a great partnership.

Only downside other than price is on very hot days, they can squeal a touch if you corner too hard, but even then, the grip levels are consistent. And I guess braking distances in such conditions would also be affected.

• 2 years later...

Hello, I'm looking to replace the tyres on my 2014 Yeti Elegance TDI 170 4x4.

The tyres on the car are 225/50 R17 94W and I'm having trouble getting what I want with that specification. I'm surprised that the tyres are W rated, and am wondering if a V rated tyre would be O.K. None of the documentation that came with the car clarifies this for me.

Do any of you out there have a 170 4x4 TDI  running with 225/50 R17 V rated tyres ?

Thanks,

1 hour ago, BJT02 said:

Do any of you out there have a 170 4x4 TDI  running with 225/50 R17 V rated tyres ?

Mine is  a  140 with a Shark remap and  larger front brakes so slightly more torque than a 170.

I have been using  Nexen for the last couple of years, first set was N-priz lasted about a year 24000miles (3-4mm left)

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/nexen-n-priz-4s-225-50-r17-94-v#260503796

Second set was these

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/nexen-n-blue-4-season-225-50-r17-98-v-xl#266423917

I am on 17000 miles at present with about 5-6mm left, car is great in snow,and wet no complaints at all.

I fitted wife's Rav4 with Nexen as well.

J

Edited by idleness

I've been using the Michelin Cross Climate since Sepember 2015 and been very pleased with them - they are quiet, seem to be wearing well (so far 33,000 miles with plenty of tread left) and because I'm nerdy and record brim-to-brim fills since new know they are giving me better mpg that the original tyres - by about 3 mpg. I've not used them in snow - on the south coast we've all but forgotten what that looks like - but in dry, wet and windy conditions to me they seem to give very good grip. The only downside, and it's minor, is they do seem to be great at picking up grit between the treads but so far, touch wood, they've not been a magnet for anything else and I've been puncture-free since fitting.  

13 hours ago, Paul52 said:

I've been using the Michelin Cross Climate since Sepember 2015 and been very pleased with them - they are quiet, seem to be wearing well (so far 33,000 miles with plenty of tread left) and because I'm nerdy and record brim-to-brim fills since new know they are giving me better mpg that the original tyres - by about 3 mpg. I've not used them in snow - on the south coast we've all but forgotten what that looks like - but in dry, wet and windy conditions to me they seem to give very good grip. The only downside, and it's minor, is they do seem to be great at picking up grit between the treads but so far, touch wood, they've not been a magnet for anything else and I've been puncture-free since fitting.  

+1 I'm on my second set of Cross Climates. First set about 40k miles. Well pleased with them.

Just had some Maxxis cross climates fitted.

First impression was the lack of road noise from the tyres, the wet grip is very good, so is the dry, yet to try winter weather.

Autocar rates them well too.

I paid £320 for all four fitted

4 minutes ago, DavidMark said:

Just had some Maxxis cross climates fitted.

First impression was the lack of road noise from the tyres, the wet grip is very good, so is the dry, yet to try winter weather.

Autocar rates them well too.

I paid £320 for all four fitted

Where did you buy them from at that price? Everywhere I look is about £480 for four fitted (215 R16).

Edited by Expatman
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, DavidMark said:

Mine are Maxxis AP2 All Season, bought from Hexham Tyre and Battery

Okay, I see now these are cheaper tyres and not in the premium class of Michelin etc. Personally as the only contact my Yeti, containing everything I hold dearest, has with the road is the footprint of 4 tyres I will always buy  the top rated tyres from premium manufacturers. Might economise on some things but NOT on tyres!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DavidMark said:

Mine are Maxxis AP2 All Season, bought from Hexham Tyre and Battery

But you said yesterday you had Maxxis Cross Climates fitted. Are Cross Climates not Michelin?

7 minutes ago, DavidMark said:

Cross climates are a generic name for all weather tyres, like I said Maxxis AP2 All Seasons

Well,  not quite.  I think Michelin invented the term "Cross Climate" for their all-season tyres,  so it started off as their brand identifier,  but the term has become linked with similar type tyres from other manufacturers,  in the same way as "all Biros are ball-point pens,  but not all ball-point pens are Biros".

• Like 1