Mist in headlights

ettlz

Just received a new Fabia MkIII (yay), just got it home. There seems to be some condensation on the interior of the headlights -- is this normal in the MkIII?

(I say 'normal' because it was a persistent issue on my old Ibiza MkIV that was never completely resolved, but never caused a huge amount of trouble. It was common enough on that particular model to be considered an honorary feature.)

Edited by ettlz

Regular feature in mine too, especially after a trip to the car wash or a drive in heavy rain. I have never had it in past cars so initially was quite concerned, however google learnt me that it is a regular ocurance on a lot of headlights and nothing to be too concerned about. Still I would rather it didn't do it though :)

Edited by chieflordy

I'm pretty sure ours hasn't misted up since we got it in May this year.

I don't think it is normal/expected in a modern car.

Will see what disappointments the winter brings...

Try doing a run even if it is daylight with your Dipped Beam on and see if the misting clears, it usually does.

I have found that works, also a bit of sunlight shining on the headlights clears them in an hour or so.

There are quite a few threads about this in different parts of the forum. Consensus seems to be as they aren't sealed units as long as they clear and don't pool with water it is nothing to be too concerned about.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/391521-condensation-in-headlights/

Standard, yet disappointing characteristic on a lot of cars these days. It's funny the mk4 Ibiza has been mentioned as those were a right pain for it.

There was a service action to ease the issue on the Ibiza which involved drilling holes in the headlight cover and using special grease on the seal to allow them to breathe easier.

• Like 1

Standard, yet disappointing characteristic on a lot of cars these days. It's funny the mk4 Ibiza has been mentioned as those were a right pain for it.

There was a service action to ease the issue on the Ibiza which involved drilling holes in the headlight cover and using special grease on the seal to allow them to breathe easier.

I gave up with it in the end on my Mk4 Ibiza, got fed up taking it in and learned how to dry the units myself. I tried new back covers, re-greasing the seals, making sure the air in the units was cold and dry; nothing made a permanent solution.

While on the subject of headlamp glass They should never be wiped dry after washing the car. page 144 in the handbook. This  apparently can damage a lacquer that can then cause the lens to crack.   

While on the subject of headlamp glass They should never be wiped dry after washing the car. page 144 in the handbook. This  apparently can damage a lacquer that can then cause the lens to crack.

I wonder if the lacquer can be damaged when washing normally,going through a car wash,jet washing or trying to remove dead flies and bird muck?

I think its a case of covering their backs so a claim can't be made under warranty?

I wonder if the lacquer can be damaged when washing normally,going through a car wash,jet washing or trying to remove dead flies and bird muck?

I think its a case of covering their backs so a claim can't be made under warranty?

I think rubbing the lens with a dry cloth is were the damage occurs. I have read on here of lens cracking because of this. Not very impressive but all down to cost no doubt  

I think rubbing the lens with a dry cloth is were the damage occurs. I have read on here of lens cracking because of this. Not very impressive but all down to cost no doubt  

I've seen that in a number of VAG manuals. So: it'll survive rain, insects, frost, and the odd small hard object -- but being dried with a microfibre? Run away!

Reminds me of when Homer goes to buy a Canyonero. As the salesman explains to him, "Go ahead, drool all you want: you can't hurt that finish. Now, rainwater -- that'll strip it right off."

Edited by ettlz
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I rang Skoda and they said it's normal at this time of year for misting / condensation inside the headlights, however if it persists into the spring then they will take action.

I picked up my Fabia Estate Monte Carlo MK III last Thursday 15/12/2016. The car has misting / condensation inside both headlights a few days later it keeps persisting. It seems when the temperature has been about 4-6°C this week in the morning there is a bit of misting  in the corners. 

It only appears at the lowest point in a strip along the LED cluster. It retreats over night but then comes back with vengeance when driven for 45 mins with the headlights on. So the heat from the main beam seems to make it worse. 

This morning it was 9°C and both lights totally cleared over night! However after driving 45 mins misting / condensation is back in only the drivers side headlight. 

Guess I have to wait until it warms up and keep an eye on them. Luckily no streaks of condensation dripping down so I'm hoping they dry out in the sun.

Any advice? I park it nosed close up to a garage door every night.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up my new Fabia yesterday morning....noticed mist in the headlights this morning after getting in to work following a 30-35min drive in.

Starting at the bottom corner, closest to the grill, and expanded out to, I'd say, about the full bottom quarter of the headlight.