EU referendum/Brexit discussion - Part 2

john999boy

20 minutes ago, domhnall said:

think he meant to type "11th hr referend....I mean people's vote". 

Yes indeed,here we have an example of a person who's in touch with his brain.

I'm guessing it took him all of 10 seconds to work out what I was saying.

I do apologize for the mistyping with the frostbitten fingers.

Also CWARD I'm terribly sorry I misspelled MAYBE,I happen to be dyslexic,but you didn't pause to consider a potentially bigger picture did you ?

It's all a bit reminiscent of another fantastically Ill considered thing I can think of........

P.S. feel free to critique again,I have done my best what with the inferior intellect and not being my mother tongue and all.

Edited by 181ce
Misplaced comma

I’ll take your dyslexia with a pinch of salt as it hasn’t been an issue in your previous posts where you often use bigger words than required.

My reply was in response to your abusive post and if you make nasty comments then don’t be shocked when you receive the same in reply. 

I wasnt aware that you were one of the 4% of Cork that didn’t speak English and surprised this is now an issue reading your previous posts, where you have a good grasp of the language. 

58 minutes ago, CWARD said:

Yet calling others who do not agree with their opinion idiots, stupid, gammon and many other derogatory names gives the remainers a crushing sense of superiority but as soon as someone retaliates they cry foul play. 

If that’s what was supposed to have been typed, then that’s what he should of put instead of the gibberish he had whilst remarking on other people’s intelligence. Stupid and nasty comments get the same in reply. 

I don't believe I have ever accused those who voted for Brexit of any of those things. I think they have been willfuly misled, lied to, duped etc by an elite group within English society (and yes I am afraid I am singling out that nation in particular) who over many years fostered this notion that they were being oppressed and having decisions foisted on them by someone else. The EU being the useful bogey man in this case. The people who pushed the idea of Brexit are anything but oppressed and anything but stupid.  The vision of a swashbuckling, buccaneering Britain shorn of all those inconvenient regulations, workers rights, consumer protection etc was never going to deliver what was promised. The people who voted for it were conned but they were sold a pup by a very privileged, clever, manipulative and well-resourced group within the upper echelons of English society, no one involved was stupid. Naive perhaps but that's quite a different thing. 

Edited by domhnall
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, CWARD said:

I’ll take your dyslexia with a pinch of salt as it hasn’t been an issue in your previous posts where you often use bigger words than required.

My reply was in response to your abusive post and if you make nasty comments then don’t be shocked when you receive the same in reply. 

I wasnt aware that you were one of the 4% of Cork that didn’t speak English and surprised this is now an issue reading your previous posts, where you have a good grasp of the language. 

You really don't have a sense of humour do you ?,did you not detect the tongue firmly  in cheek,I'm not being in the least be nasty to anybody on a personal level only stating my belief that Brexit is utterly stupid on every conceivable front.

Now as for my dyslexia ,I'll furnish you proof if you wish, and you might do well to realise that it has no bearing on my command of the English language or my vocabulary,It may surprise you to know that crosswords and circumlocution help keep it in check.

It's a classic example of reap the rewards for putting in the effort.

everything 

Edited by 181ce
Need I say really?

14 minutes ago, CWARD said:

a language not being your mother tongue isn't the same as not speaking it. I can speak basic French and German to a reasonable level, neither is my mother tongue though. 

True but looking at his past post I smell BS on his claim

FFS that's the tongue in cheek bit,I'm IRISH ,do you know how many of us are actually gealgoir's,and I'm fairly sure that's spelled wrong.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, domhnall said:

virgin in the main still don't do fibre to the premises, they do fttc same as BT, it's just their cabinets are closer to the home in the main.  And Telewest bankrupted the company doing their big push for fibre. Stephen Carter (who was at uni with me) was the Chief Exec and drove the company into the ground. He was rewarded with a peerage and being made Chief Exec of Ofcom. Such is the way of things in this country of course. If your face fits then it matters not whether you succeed or fail, you will be well rewarded. 

bit of a coincidence there that I believe that his mate a mr gavin pa******* also worked for telewest and has just LEFT BT after poor results ...……..virgin have a smaller network but do run fttp my son has 71 mb on virgin fibre I have 20mb on a cable  running 200m from a bt cab which is o/s the exch on lead cables  (circ 1960)with paper insulation on the copper conductors.

Edited by Sad555

It's surely now time to ditch Brexit.  A fall in GDP of 2.5% to 3.9% over the next 15 years is not a good thing.  Surely even the most staunch Brexiters can see this.  Do the political gains still outweigh the economic losses?  It doesn't seem like it to me.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Sad555 said:

bit of a coincidence there that I believe that his mate a mr gavin pa******* also worked for telewest and has just LEFT BT after poor results ...……..virgin have a smaller network but do run fttp my son has 71 gb on virgin fibre I have 20gb on a cable  running 200m from a bt cab which is o/s the exch on lead cables  (circ 1960)with paper insulation on the copper conductors.

I doubt you have 20 Gb, Openreach FTTC comes in 20 Mb or 70 Mb variants at moment. 

Virgin use something called HFC, which is coaxial cable. Just like Openreach their fibre goes to the street cabinet. I have coaxial and get 225 Mb/s downstream and 12 upstream. The salesman assured me it was fibre but when they came to install the same old HFC coax cable was used. There are a VERY small number of places where they have recently installed fibre but even our street which was only installed last year got HFC cable rather than fibre. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Chorlton said:

It's surely now time to ditch Brexit.  A fall in GDP of 2.5% to 3.9% over the next 15 years is not a good thing.  Surely even the most staunch Brexiters can see this.  Do the political gains still outweigh the economic losses?  It doesn't seem like it to me.

au contraire, if there is a big fall in the value of assets then they stand to be very well positioned to buy up assets at below their current value and thereafter make profit when eventually the values rise.  Jacob Rees-Mogg recently said that we would see some upside to Brexit in around 50 years' time. 

2 hours ago, 181ce said:

True but looking at his past post I smell BS on his claim

FFS that's the tongue in cheek bit,I'm IRISH ,do you know how many of us are actually gealgoir's,and I'm fairly sure that's spelled wrong.

well tha Gaidhlig agam ach tha mi Albannach ;-)

(well I can speak it but I'm Scottish  not Irish) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, domhnall said:

well tha Gaidhlig agam ach tha mi Albannach ;-

Bhuel, is dóigh liom go bhfuil dearcadh dea-smaointe agat, toisc go n-úsáideann tú an Ghaeilge (cé Gur "Scots Gael" atá i gceist, sílim). Bheadh sé súntasach an ní dá mbeadh a fhois ag daoine iasachta eile faoina rudaí éagsula a dhéanann idirdhealú idir Éire agus tíortha eile, go háirithe go bhfuil an Breatimeacht ag druidim. 
Go raibh maith agat, i ndairíre!

4 hours ago, domhnall said:

I doubt you have 20 Gb, Openreach FTTC comes in 20 Mb or 70 Mb variants at moment. 

Virgin use something called HFC, which is coaxial cable. Just like Openreach their fibre goes to the street cabinet. I have coaxial and get 225 Mb/s downstream and 12 upstream. The salesman assured me it was fibre but when they came to install the same old HFC coax cable was used. There are a VERY small number of places where they have recently installed fibre but even our street which was only installed last year got HFC cable rather than fibre. 

Thanks now corrected to mb

• Haha 1

People seem to not say much about the growing population in the UK, people living longer, that more people went into higher education and university and the UK Government has people working until they are older so retiring later.

If young people are getting a start in jobs after Uni and in the likes of law as solicitors there are going to be younger and cheaper employees and no actual shortage of candidates to do jobs.

Same really with all professions. Loads of potential candidates for doing jobs they studied and trained to do, and up to now and maybe still in the future free to travel and work.

Maybe the golden goose is not there for the more mature and qualified employees as younger generations are ready to step in with skills that older people might not have 

got up to speed with.

What the shortage of in the UK is those that are prepared to knock their pan in for little reward and still not be able to make ends meet let alone have a nice work life balance.

5 hours ago, Chorlton said:

Over 10% drop in GDP by 2030 they just said on channel 4 news. 

& all through the day there are 'experts' saying that these predictions, educated guesses from The Bank of England and the usual 'Predictors' are like prediction or guessing the weather on a day in 2030.

If Russia starts a war on any particular year or the USA does then everything changes.   So who knows about the UK GDP in 12 years time?

There will be billions made trading today and billions lost as the markets have a laugh at this because that is what is going on here as usual, 

only the 'traders' are now not being sucked in as much as they used to as The Bank of England is about the worst at predictions that you get.

Derren Brown is who is really needed. 

Edited by Offski

On 28/11/2018 at 15:48, 181ce said:

Bhuel, is dóigh liom go bhfuil dearcadh dea-smaointe agat, toisc go n-úsáideann tú an Ghaeilge (cé Gur "Scots Gael" atá i gceist, sílim). Bheadh sé súntasach an ní dá mbeadh a fhois ag daoine iasachta eile faoina rudaí éagsula a dhéanann idirdhealú idir Éire agus tíortha eile, go háirithe go bhfuil an Breatimeacht ag druidim. 
Go raibh maith agat, i ndairíre!

We'll get told off for this. I've been told off on here before for speaking a native British language rather than the germanic tongue that's more common these days. 

5 minutes ago, punyXpress said:
" 1934: Winston Churchill warned that weak defences could mean that Britain could be "tortured into absolute subjection :
in any war with Germany "
How right he was 84 years ago!

Yeah.  Now it’s the Russians making plans.

Bad luck about NATO.

30 minutes ago, Ryeman said:

Yeah.  Now it’s the Russians making plans.

Bad luck about NATO.

Ryeman, I've popped in and out of this discussion but mostly stayed out and just observed.

But I've got to ask, what's your vested interest in Brexit since you live in Australia? You're listed as having 8,687 posts, and it seems there are most of those are in this forum. You and Lee (and some others) come across to me as being a little too involved in this discussion and dare I say sound more like professional (read: paid) lobbyists than Skoda enthusiasts. 

So, what are you?