Crappy function of "virtual pedal" boot opening with your foot

I have a MY17 Superb L&K with "virtual pedal" function and it functions really bad. I have only managed to get the boot to open/close a few times in the now approx 4 weeks that I had the car.

Most of the time that I try it will not react at all. The few times that it does actually work, I can repeatedly use the function multiple times.

To me it sounds like a software issue, waiting for some kind of enable or "allow" signal that does not come.

I have followed the user manual instructions to quickly "kick" the foot underneath the middle of the rear bumber, I have also tried to follow the salesmans tips to more slowly kick the foot. It does not make any difference.

I must look like a fool standing kicking the rear of the car in the parking lot with shopping bags in boths hands.

Anyone with similar experience?

This makes me wanna claim money back for a function that I have payed for but have not got.

I have a MY17 Superb L&K with "virtual pedal" function and it functions really bad. I have only managed to get the boot to open/close a few times in the now approx 4 weeks that I had the car.

Most of the time that I try it will not react at all. The few times that it does actually work, I can repeatedly use the function multiple times.

To me it sounds like a software issue, waiting for some kind of enable or "allow" signal that does not come.

I have followed the user manual instructions to quickly "kick" the foot underneath the middle of the rear bumber, I have also tried to follow the salesmans tips to more slowly kick the foot. It does not make any difference.

I must look like a fool standing kicking the rear of the car in the parking lot with shopping bags in boths hands.

Anyone with similar experience?

This makes me wanna claim money back for a function that I have payed for but have not got.

I can add that the car has a factory installed retractable hitch. I have always had the hitch retracted when I tried to use the "virtual pedal".

Edited by Lasseman

I also have an MY17 Superb L&K with the retractable tow hitch. I've had the car nearly two weeks and have never manager to get the virtual pedal to work. In fact, I'd come to the conclusion that the VP was deleted if you had the tow bar! I'm impressed that you've managed to get it to work at all.

Brand new Superb here, and have had no problems the three days I've owned it...

The car is locked, I have the key in my pocket (and grocery bags in both hands), I kick my foot straight in under the middle of the rear and pull it back again (speed is about similar like an old living room clock - tick, tock), and take one step back.

• Like 3

I have the towbar. It is easier with the towbar retracted but still works with it extended. Rules to get it to work:

Must have key on your person, not in the car.

Car must be locked.

Fairly sure about the latter, but not certain (I'll go and try it).

With those two caveats, I find it works well.

Edited by nicknorman

I think it may be a fault of KESSY rather than the virtual pedal.

My car sometimes doesn't recognise KESSY when I try to open the door. Find I have to move the key closer to the door.

We've had this topic a few times before,

there is a knack to making it work but once you learn it it will open every time.

You need to push your foot straight under the bumper, do not waggle it, just push it under and retract, then, and this is the important bit, wait, after a second or two you will see the central brake light illuminate and then the tailgate will open.

Only put your foot under once, do not waggle, and remember to wait. It will then work every time, and you need to have the key with you.

Edited by philsmith
  • Thanks 1

Car in for 4 weeks now. VP works fine. Just kick in the middle to open (and close, MY2017) AND lift your foot a bit.

That seems to make a difference.

Regards from Holland

My virtual boot opening works just fine almost every time now that I have learnt how to do it. It did take a while  :whew: .

I think I made the same mistake as Tomas and others in the early days. I stood there wagging my foot like a frenzied tap dancer then standing back and uttering some choice words about designers and technology.

From page 63 of the manual.

Stand with the vehicle key centred on the rear bumper.

Move one foot in the sensor area below the rear bumper quickly in the direction of the arrow.

The stop lamp in the rear lid illuminates and the lid opens automatically. If the lid does not open, then repeat opening after a few seconds.

With heavy rain or dirty rear bumper it may occur under certain circumstances that there may be limitations, or the automatic deactivation of the non-contact opening function of the boot lid may occur.

p.s. I am great fan of Mr Autogefuhl. He manages to focus on the car, gives a sensible report for average Joe and just lets his personality present itself; absolutely no overt self promotion in his videos  :thumbup:

• Like 1

Thomas is not so smart, as I said push your foot in once and once only do not waggle and wait!

He did none of those things.

If Skoda (VW) are going to be selling into North America (USA) there will need to be a big arrow & sticker giving instructions then.

Also needed by some posting in this thread as well. eg The OP.

(not everyone reads owners manuals, especially those collecting hire cars and the likes, they might be used to the simple systems on other manufacturers cars like Ford. waggle it all about.)

Edited by Offski

I called in at my local dealer today. I asked them to have a look, as I hadn't been able to get the VP to work in two weeks of ownership. I showed them how I'd been trying to operate it, and guess what? It worked! I think my Skoda dealer learned a few new swear words!

Took a l&k superb out for my first test drive and gave the virtual pedal a go and it worked first time, the salesman was a little bit shocked and asked if I had opens the boot because he'd seen people spend ages trying lol

Thomas is not so smart, as I said push your foot in once and once only do not waggle and wait!

He did none of those things.

Ah Thomas the leather hater.